Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 20th 2016 Contents A proposal by the
People s National Move-
ment Government to
award former prime
minister Patrick Man-
ning the country s high-
est award---the Order of
the Republic of T&T
will not be accepted by
the Manning family.
This is according to
Manning s elder son,
Manning died on July
2 and was buried follow-
ing a state funeral on July
9. In the wake of his
death, Prime Minister Dr
Keith Rowley had dis-
cussed the prospect of
awarding Manning the
during the recent PNM
general council meeting,
noting Cabinet would
have to discuss it further.
There have also been
calls to honour Manning
by naming the Piarco
International Airport or
the International Water-
front Complex after him.
However, Brian Man-
ning told CNC3 News
yesterday that his father
had declined the award
when offered under the
former People s Partner-
ship government, led by
prime minister Kamla
Persad-Bissessar, and the
family believes they
should continue to
adhere to that wish.
Brian said yesterday
that when his father was
alive he declined the offer
and the family felt his
decision should be
respected after his pass-
He said the best way
to honour Manning
would be to ensure the
expansion of music band
Divine Echoes and the
establishment of the
Patrick Manning Devel-
opment Fund to assist
the people of all
Brian Manning also
said the family was also
still weighing its options
on a final resting place
for his father.
cations Minister Maxie
Cuffie said there was no
cations strategy or social
media policy for the dis-
semination of informa-
tion from government
"The policy is basically
that all ministries are
responsible for their own
communication and are
encouraged to use social
media to communicate.
"We are all aware of
the advantages and
potential threats and
every ministry has a
communication staff and
would include people
that are adept at dealing
with these issues," he
He said all ministers
had their personal
accounts and would
engage the public in ways
they found suitable.
"It is a social media
tool. You have fake pro-
files and social media
issues that arise whether
you are a minister or not.
"We all need to be
careful and to ensure we
take the necessary pre-
cautions to minimise the
occurrence of these
things," he added.
Scammers have hacked the social media profile
of a Government Minister and are using her account
to solicit private information from unsuspecting
Planning Minister Camille Robinson-Regis told
the T&T Guardian one of her two online profiles had
been hacked and she had not had access to it in
Robinson-Regis said she had made a report about
the profile and following the telephone conversation
with the T&T Guardian directly reported the profile
to Facebook as being fraudulent.
However, for the past few weeks, the person who
had taken over Robinson-Regis account has been
soliciting private information from citizens connected
to the account.
The minister said, " I have no knowledge of
this..they are not to send any information and it
should be reported to the Cyber Crime Unit of the
Jerene Charles said she first got a friend request
from the account a few months ago and thought
nothing of it.
However, last week a message from Camille Robin-
son-Regis account came to her inbox asking whether
she had signed up for a new government assistance
When she asked for more information, the sender
"I mean the alleviation scheme set up by the Gov-
ernment to help improve the standard of living of
A request followed later for private information to
be sent to an email address.
Robinson-Regis said she was concerned that people
would fall for the lure and noted that she would not
make any such request on a social media site.
Robinson-Regis said her Facebook account had
been hacked twice, with her being blocked from the
account in the first instance.
She said, I have no knowledge of this..they are not
to send any information and it should be reported
to the Cyber Crime Unit of the Police Service
Wednesday, July 20 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
14-17 VICTORIA SQUARE, PARK STREET,
PORT OF SPAIN.
TEL: 625-9475 FAX: 625-2197
"Where Exclusivity Meets Affordability!"
Sale ends Saturday 30th July
JULY 19, 2016
July 19, 2016
July 19, 2016
July 19, 2016
July 19, 2016
Family blanks ORTT
for Manning again
Scammers hack minister's
social media profile
BROWN BAG CONCERT
Members of the National Philharmonic Orchestra perform during the "Brown
Bag" concert series hosted by the Ministry of Community's culture division
at the Port-of-Spain National Library yesterday. The "Brown Bag Series"
takes place every Tuesday and Thursday at NALIS and features arts from
National Philharmonic Orchestra and the National Theatre Arts Company.
Admission is absolutely free. PHOTO: SHIRLEY BAHADUR
Head of the Cyber Crime Unit, ASP Amos
Sylvester, in a brief telephone interview yesterday
said there had been no reports of the hacking of
social media accounts but acknowledged it was an
issue his unit was capable of investigating.
He advised that the public to be more vigilant and
cautious about information shared online.
"If anybody was to set up anything on social
media, saying that they should send money or
personal information then that is to be avoided.
"I would advise people not to send their
information, call or visit the person contacting you
in their offices.
"Social media in this country is not used as a
formal method of communication, it is used just
to share information," Sylvester said.
He said if someone's account was hacked and
being used for fraudulent or nefarious purposes,
they could make a police report.
The police would then send the information to the
Cyber Crime Unit for further investigation.
REPORT TO POLICE
Ministers and ministries responsible
for their own social media
Links Archive July 19th 2016 July 21st 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page