Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 9th 2016 Contents A18
Concerned Otaheite crab
catchers and oyster ven-
dors say the method being
used by government agen-
cies to determine who should ben-
efit from the $1m compensation is
In an interview with the T&T
Guardian on Tuesday, leader of the group of
crab catchers and oyster vendors, Robert Nandlal
said the methodology being used to assess those
in need is the same that is used to assess
people for the food card programme.
"They are using the same method
that is used to check if you
are eligible for food cards
to check if you qualify
for compensation and
that doesn t make any
sense," Nandlal said.
"Take for instance
when you come by me,
worked years to build and
if you were measuring by
the food card method, it
would deem me un-needy."
"But the fact is for me and
a lot of other men, we do have homes and
boats but we just can t make any kind of
living right now."
For the past six weeks, fish and seafood
sales have declined drastically after dead
fish began washing ashore in the Gulf of
Since then, fisherfolk and crab and oys-
ter vendors have been crying out to gov-
ernment for assistance, as they
say the public is wary of pur-
Last week Prime Minister
Dr Keith Rowley announced
that Cabinet had approved $1
m in compensation to affected
Late last week, officials from the Ministry of
Social Development and the Ministry of Agri-
culture visited fishing communities, carrying
out assessments and encouraging fish-
erfolk to register themselves.
"They told us to put our
names down on the list,
but at the bottom of the
list is a section saying
Approve or Reject. So
we could wait the three
or four weeks and then
realise we have nothing
to get, that is not fair.
"In the meantime, we
don t have money to send
our children to school or to
take care of our families in
the right way."
Nandlal s group protest-
ed at the Mosquito Creek
on Monday, calling on
Rambharat to tell the
nation seafood is safe to
"We need the Minister
to come out and tell the
nation the crabs, oysters
and fish are safe to eat. We
need a public statement
so people s minds can be
put at ease."
Police are investigating whether arson
was involved after fire destroyed
a house near the PNM s South
Regional Office which left two
brothers homeless on Wednes-
day.Deodath Rajkumar, 53, a CEPEP
worker, and his brother Vishnu, 51,
were not at their Navet Road, San
Fernando home when fire broke
out around 9.30 am.
The brothers childhood home was not
fitted with electricity and had no gas tank.
They used candles as their main source
Eyewitnesses said they saw a man standing in
front of the house and they observed fire to the
back of the house. When they asked him about
the fire, the witnesses said, the stranger walked
off without saying anything.
Investigators believe the fire started at the back
of the house.
Rajkumar told police he left for work around
5 am and later received a call that his house was
The brothers said they had no bad
blood with anyone. They said recently
someone had offered to buy their house,
but they rejected the offer. Rajkumar
estimated losses to amount to $100,000
as he also had bought material to rebuild the house.
Fire fighters and police officers from Mon
Repos responded and are continuing investi-
traffic offence almost three years
ago has filed a malicious prose-
cution lawsuit against State.
Allister Richards is claiming the
officer who charged him did so on the
basis of bias and poor investigation.
Richards filed the lawsuit against the Attorney
General through his attorney Kevin Ratiram.
He is claiming that on May 18, 2008, he was
driving his car along Manahambre Road,
Princes Town collided with another
vehicle which veered into his lane.
Richards wife and another female
passenger was in the car while the other
car was being driven by Andy Simon
and he had one passenger.
He claimed PC Abner Raghoo visited
the scene and saw debris from the acci-
dent on one lane of the road and ought
to have known that Simon was
However, he said, the officer
accused him of going into
Simon s lane.
Richards said an independent
witness told the police it was
the Simon who had come into
Richards lane. He further
claimed the officer did not
take any statements from his
passengers and in November
2008 he charged him with
driving without due care and
In October 2013, Senior
magistrate Avason Quinlan,
presiding in the Princes Town
Magistrate upheld a no case
submission made by Richards
attorney and Richards was
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Friday, September 9, 2016
in house fire
Man freed of
Links Archive September 8th 2016 Sepember 10h 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page