Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 23rd 2016 Contents • Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2016
People gather along the shore of the Mediterranean Sea during a search for victims. The International Organization for
Migration urged Egypt to impose tougher penalties on human traffickers and address the concerns driving people to
undertake the perilous journey. "Entire families, children and young people entrusted their lives to human smugglers, and
risked everything aboard an unseaworthy boat that capsized and sank in the middle of the sea," Amr Taha, head of IOM's
Egypt office, said in a statement. "We urge the parliament to pass a new anti-human smuggling law that should be a strong
deterrent for smugglers." REUTERS PHOTO
Survivors from a boat which capsized off
the Egyptian coast on Wednesday have told
the BBC that hundreds of people may have
The boat was carrying between 450 and 600
migrants when it capsized eight miles off the
coast, they say. The numbers have not been
Authorities say they have rescued 163 people
and recovered 51 bodies so far off the port city
Four crew members have been arrested,
Egyptian officials said.
They are suspected of involuntary manslaugh-
ter and human trafficking, judicial officials were
reported as saying.
The incident came after the EU s border
agency warned that increasing numbers of
Europe-bound migrants are using Egypt as a
The UN says that more than 10,000 people
have died crossing the Mediterranean towards
Europe since 2014.
The boat was kept off the coast for five days
as more and more migrants were brought on
board, survivors said.
The boat is said to have capsized after a final
group of some 150 people were crammed on
Authorities have been accused of failing to
send help fast enough.
"Anyone who was saved here, was saved by
the local fishing boats," fisherman Abdelrahman
Al-Mohamady told the Reuters news agency.
The International Organization for Migration
said those rescued included 111 Egyptians, 26
Sudanese, 13 Eritreans, a Syrian and an Ethiopi-
an.Many survivors are now being held in police
Rescuers are focusing their efforts on the
boat s cold storage room, where it is believed
around 100 people took refuge during the cap-
Plans to install wi-fi
along 8km of Havana's
seafront have been
announced by the
The move will make
the popular area for
tourists and young
people into the largest
hotspot on the island.
Only about five per
cent of Cubans enjoy
web access at home
and the government
still heavily restricts
many social media
sites are available.
Since last year the
installed dozens of wi-
fi hotspots in public
areas, charging $2 an
as door slams on
2016 recall vote
Foes of President Nicolas Maduro vowed protests and
accused Venezuela's election authority yesterday of ignoring
voters by dashing hopes for a referendum this year on recalling
the unpopular socialist leader.
The election board says a potential plebiscite could only
happen in early 2017, meaning should Maduro lose, as polls
suggest he would, his vice president would take over according
to the constitution.
That would keep the Socialist Party in power at least until
the next presidential election in late 2018.
The opposition, who blame Maduro for a deep economic
crisis, had wanted a plebiscite this year as that would trigger a
new presidential election.
Opposition leaders were meeting yesterday to prepare their
response. Some hardliners might now push for an
abandonment of the referendum in favour of civil disobedience
tactics, while others will probably argue removing Maduro next
year is still worth it because of the damage to the
government's legitimacy. (Reuters)
Power slowly returns after
Puerto Rico blackout
Power was slowly being restored in Puerto Rico yesterday,
nearly 24 hours after a blackout swept across the island when
a fire at a power plant set off a cascade of problems that
knocked out the aging utility grid.
Some 200,000 customers had electricity back by early
yesterday afternoon, and officials said that number could reach
a half million in the next several hours. But it will be today
before nearly all of the power company's 1.5 million customers
are reconnected, said Gov Alejandro Garcia Padilla, who
declared a state of emergency.
He said he understood people's frustrations and the need to
blame someone for the blackout, which plunged the 3.5 million
inhabitants into darkness amid a decade-long economic crisis
that has worn Puerto Ricans down.
Frustration mounted yesterday among Puerto Ricans, most
of whom don't have generators and were forced them to spend
Wednesday night in darkness and without air-conditioning in
the tropical heat. They awoke to find most businesses and
public offices closed, and officials saying it could be 24 hours
before power would be fully restored. (AP) Hundreds feared
dead as migrant
Streets in Caracas were blocked by striking drivers
Wednesday. Bus drivers in the Venezuelan capital paralysed
the city for eight hours on Wednesday by blocking the streets
with their vehicles to protest against the country's economic
crisis. Hundreds of drivers demanded more pay and
protection from violent crime. Many said they needed more
money to maintain their buses and complained of a scarcity
of spare parts. BBC PHOTO
Links Archive September 22nd 2016 September 24th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page