Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 28th 2016 Contents news tobagotoday.co.tt SEPTEMBER 28 - OCTOBER 4, 2016
There is no truth to the rumour that
the Tobago Regional Health Authority
(THRA) dumped drugs used to treat-
ment patients with cancer in Tobago,
says TRHA acting Chief Executive Offi-
cer Dr Nathaniel Duke.
Duke was at the time responding to an
allegation made by Tobago Organization of
the People (TOP) leader Ashworth Jack at
a press conference last month.
During the press conference, Jack alleged
that the TRHA of allowing the drugs to
expire although there were patients in need
of them. He also alleged that the TRHA sub-
sequently dumped the expired drugs.
But in a response to Tobago Today, Duke
rubbished the claims.
"That allegation is so far-fetched and any-
one who listened to it would have found it
to be rubbish, as the dumping of cancer
drugs can only take place when the Ministry
of Health sends the principal pharmacist to
oversee the process," Duke said.
He added, "The disposal of those kinds
of drugs have specific guidelines and are
regulated by the ministry, as some contain
atomic material and have to be incinerated
at 1200 degrees Celsius.
"Only the ministry has the authority to
dispose of those drugs. We cannot at any
time dispose of those drugs and we have
never done so."
Asked what is done if the drugs expire,
the acting CEO said the Health Division
does not keep those drugs.
"What we do is send drugs that are about
to be expired to Trinidad so that cancer
patients can use them," he replied.
Meanwhile, on the issue of Tobago receiv-
ing its allocation of cancer drugs, which
were recently acquired in Trinidad, the THRA
CEO said Tobago is yet to receive theirs.
"We have not received any as yet but I
am sure we will receive ours from Trinidad
He noted, however, that Tobago has a sup-
ply of cancer drugs for the next three
No charges have been laid
against the 22-year-old Spey-
side man who allegedly
chopped fellow resident
Danny Melville three weeks
The man was released some 24
hours after he surrendered to Char-
lotteville police for allegedly com-
mitting the act, and was subse-
quently released without any
charges being laid against him.
Tobago Today was reliably
informed that Melville, 28, who
has since been discharged from the
Port-of-Spain General Hospital,
after being treated for a chop
wound across the left side of his
head and face, was uncooperative
and failed to give a statement about
the incident to police.
According to reports, Melville
and the 22-year-old man had an
altercation near the Speyside Fish-
ing Facility on September 8 around
7 am. The man allegedly pulled out
a cutlass during the altercation and
chopped Melville across the face.
Melville was rushed to the Scar-
borough General Hospital where
emergency surgery was performed
and he was later airlifted to Trinidad
for further treatment.
A relative close to the man said
Melville was currently recuperating
at home and although he may have
long term effects from the chop,
he insists he will not be pursuing
the matter at this time. A police
source told Tobago Today that if a
victim failed to give evidence in
any matter they could not proceed
with the case. However, they said
the case would remain open in the
event the victim changes his mind.
"The investigation can go no fur-
ther unless we get a statement.
Now the police could charge and
take the man before the court, but
at the end of the day we will only
look silly before the court because
we have no evidence, no witness
statement, no victim statement, all
we may have is a medical report,
but the only thing the police could
do is possibly try to cajole, beg the
victim, try to convince the victim
about the seriousness of the inci-
dent and try to get them to come
forward and give evidence," the
source said. Charlotteville police
are continuing investigations.
Danny Melville at the Port-of-Spain Gen-
eral Hospital after he received treatment
for a chop wound earlier this month.
Patrons take in the fireworks display during last Saturday's
Republic Day celebrations at the Cyd Gray Stadium, Roxbor-
ough. The event also featured a free concert as the country cel-
ebrated its 40th year as a republic.
PHOTO: CASWELL GORDON
Links Archive September 27th 2016 September 29th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page