Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : September 29th 2016 Contents A9
Thursday, September 29, 2016 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Like us on
4 for $100
6pc SHEET SET
. 1 Flat Sheet
. 1 Fitted Sheet
. 4 Pillow Cases
• All Sizes
• Lots of
115" MIX & MATCH FABRIC
It has been a week since hairstylist
Ria Sookdeo was abducted a few kilo-
metres from her Debe home and police
are again urging the public to be
responsible about the information they
Investigators said while they were
allocating a lot of resources towards
finding Sookdeo bad information could
hamper the police investigation.
Meanwhile, they continue to search
areas in Moruga, Barrackpore, Cedros
and Penal. They are still looking for the
black Nissan X-Trail SUV that her
An investigator told the T&T Guardian
yesterday abductions were sensitive cases
given that the abductors would be look-
ing at the information in the public and
respond to it accordingly to evade cap-
Therefore, it was important also for
the police to be careful about the infor-
mation they shared with the media and
the public, he added.
The investigators said even relatives
(not the immediate family) have been
making some reckless statements leading
to widespread speculation as to her dis-
Meanwhile, people continue to contact
the numbers given to the public but
there has been no credible information
coming forward thus far. Spiritual people,
even from the United States, are saying
their dreams have shown Sookdeo in
According to reports, Sookdeo, 34,
dropped off her two children, aged nine
and five, at the Picton Presbyterian Pri-
mary School around 8.30 am last Thurs-
day. As she drove her red Nissan X-Trail
to Picton Estate Drive to turn, a black
Nissan X-Trail SUV pulled up behind,
Man on $3m in fraud
charges back in court
After being deported from the US...
A 43-year-old man, who fled Trinidad after being
charged with defrauding First Citizens Bank of close
to $3 million in an alleged credit card scam in 2013,
was among 14 men who were deported from the
United States this week.
Shawn Davis, a former sound engineer from La Hor-
quetta, Arima, appeared before Magistrate Christine
Charles in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates Court on
Tuesday, hours after arriving at the Piarco International
Airport on Monday.
Charles revoked the $750,000 bail Davis had been
granted when he and three others were slapped with
23 fraud charges in May 2013. Davis was remanded
into prison custody and is scheduled to reappear in
court next month.
Davis, his former girlfriend Summer Bristol, 32, a
hairdresser of Trincity; Leon Gomes, 38, an electrician,
of Valsayn, and Lincoln Gopeechan, 30, a fete promoter,
of Trincity, are accused of defrauding First Citizens,
using fraudulent credit cards.
The offences occurred over a two-day period in April
2013 at several of the bank s branches across Trinidad.
According to reports, Davis and Bristol fled T&T
soon after securing bail. The couple were arrested in
the United Kingdom a month later and were ordered
to be deported. However, the couple managed to elude
police officers when they arrived at the Piarco Inter-
national Airport and later travelled to the United States.
Davis was reportedly held in the United States earlier
this year and was charged with a federal offence which
led to his deportation.
It remains unclear how Davis managed to obtain
fresh travel documents, including a passport and visa,
and was able to travel to the US after he was deported
from the UK. Bristol is still wanted by police and is
believed to be in the United States.
Police had seized $2,255,890 in cash when the group
was arrested at a house in Trincity shortly after the
fraudulent transactions were discovered.
The money was the subject of a separate lawsuit
which questioned the decision of the magistrate to
order that the cash be held in an interest-bearing
account at the Unit Trust Corporation (UTC) until the
case was concluded.
The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions
(DPP) had claimed that the bank notes, which were
evidence in the case, should be held by the police as
with all other evidence, while First Citizens claimed
that the money should be returned to it.
The Court of Appeal overturned the order as it agreed
with the arguments of the Office of the DPP.
Bad info throws off
cops in Ria's case
blocking her path.
Two men, wearing tactical gear, forced her out
of her SUV and into theirs and drove off.
The SUV bore a false registration number, which
actually belonged to a Ford Ranger pickup registered
to a man living along Rochard Road, Penal.
On Sunday, police detained two of the man s
neighbours, a suspended police constable and his
sister. However, they were subsequently released.
Police have since released a sketch of one of the
suspects who wore a cap with the word police
written on the front.
However, they said it may not necessarily be a
police officer who was involved in the abduction.
On Tuesday, officers from various units within
the police services held talks on Sookdeo s abduction
but investigators said they would not disclose any
details of the meeting.
•Anyone with information can contact Insp Don
Gajadhar, Sgt Natasha Morrison or Cpl Barry Bacchus
at the San Fernando CID at 652-2564 or Crime Stop-
pers at 800-TIPS.
Debe mother of two Ria Sookdeo.
A police sketch of one suspect.
Links Archive September 28th 2016 September 30th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page