Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 1st 2016 Contents A12
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Saturday, October 1, 2016
A former Trinidad and Tobago foot-
baller now resident in the United States
has been charged with attempting to
smuggle one kilogramme of cocaine into
that country in fudge candy.
Noel "Sammy" Llewellyn, 64, report-
edly stepped off a JetBlue flight from T&T
on Tuesday and presented his zebra-
striped suitcase for inspection to US Cus-
toms and Border Protection officers at
the JFK Airport.
Inside the suitcase were four boxes of
Tortuga chocolate rum fudge. Further
inspection by the officers turned up a
white powdery filling that field-tested
positive for cocaine, according to a com-
plaint filed in Brooklyn Federal Court.
Llewellyn, who works for Delta Airlines,
gave investigators several different stories
about the contraband and his frequent
travels to T&T, claiming he gets dis-
counted tickets from his employer.
He initially said he had packed the
zebra suitcase himself, then changed
the story by claiming that his sis-
ter-in-law gave him the boxes of
fudge to take to the US, according
to the complaint.
Llewellyn was released
Wednesday on US$100,000 bail.
Llewellyn was a top T&T
striker during the early 1970s
and appeared on 45 occasions,
scoring 35 goals.
He was a fine dribbler noted
for his speed and skill and also
campaigned in the US pro
However, his national
career did not last long as he
was banned by the T&T Foot-
ball Federation (T&TFF) in 1976
after a controversy surrounding
a tour to French Guiana when
he was just 26.
Following continued silence on the fate of the five T&T nation-
als detained in Venezuela since 2014, the Enterprise masjid will
today announce certain "actions" to be taken on the matter
by the men s families and friends.
The five, Wade Charles, Dominic Pitilal, Asim Luqman,
Andre Battersby and Leslie Daisley, have been detained in
Venezuela since March 2014 on suspicion of terrorism. Following
talks on various issues between the T&T and Venezuelan
leaders in May, the charges were changed to intent to commit
espionage and to commit a criminal act.
Three weeks ago when the five were due to go to court
again, Government officials hinted that the Venezuelan author-
ities wanted to conclude the matter that day. But the matter was
again postponed and it was subsequently hinted by local sources
that the judge in the matter had left Venezuela. Last week, some
of the detainees spoke on local television to Islamic officials,
relating their poor conditions in the prison and seeking assistance
in the matter.
In the wake of this, the Enterprise masjid in Chaguanas to
which some members are affiliated, will hold a media briefing
today to give a "first-hand update" on the five. The aim of the
briefing is to "divulge pertinent information" about the detainees
and their status in the Sebin prison. The masjid also confirmed
"planned actions would be announced as to moves by the family
and well-wishers" of the men.
In addition, a response from the masjid will be made to state-
ments by Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley and Attorney General
Faris Al-Rawi. There has been a measure of concern among some
quarters about moves by the Al-Rawi on certain legislation con-
cerning anti-terrorism/money laundering matters in keeping with
UN Security resolutions on such matters. Attempts to contact
National Security Minister Edmund Dillon yesterday were unsuc-
cessful as he was said to be in a meeting, his office stated.
Meanwhile, members of the Mohammed family have expressed
concern at the lack of information on Tariq Shamoon Mohammed,
an Islamic student in Saudi Arabia who was detained by Saudi
authorities since August 2015 when he and his family returned
there after visiting T&T.
The last word on him---several months ago---was that the nec-
essary documentation vouching for his bona fides were prepared
by National Security and were in the hands of Foreign Affairs to
dispatch to Saudi authorities. But Mohammed is still detained.
Foreign Affairs Minister Dennis Moses, also a National Security
Minister, didn t immediately answer calls yesterday.
Mohammed s father, radio host Shamoon Mohammed and his
aunt, attorney Nafeesa Mohammed, have kept patience with the
situation, but are said to be frustrated by the delay in the pro-
ceedings and lack in information coming to them.
"His wife s (Saudi Arabia) visa expired and she returned home
and has had a baby. But her husband has been unable to join
them. We ve had cases in the past---the David Nakhid detention
in the Middle East---where then ambassador Patrick Edwards,
who is skilled in such matters, was sent as special envoy to deal
with that matter and it was speedily resolved," a family member
told the T&T Guardian.
"Such mechanisms are invaluable in situations like these and
we ve seen an increasing amount in recent times. It would be
useful to utilise such skills and the facility of special envoys
to deal with such situations. It s urgently needed, since all
these detention issues shows our F.A. aspect needs
rebuilding and especially Middle East ties must be
There has also been no word from Government on
any information from Turkey concerning the nine
people detained there in July carrying T&T passports.
They were alleged to be with an ISIS recruiter. The
group includes women and a young child. Soon after
that, Dillon said he d meet with Muslim groups to
try to understand why T&T nationals were heading
to join ISIS. That meeting has not yet been held and
several Muslim groups have been querying if it would
indeed be held. He d said in early September he d planned
to meet groups, but had to work out how this would be
done. It is still pending.
to detail course
of action nationals
held in Venezuela
Links Archive September 30th 2016 October 2nd 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page