Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 4th 2016 Contents A42
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, October 4, 2016
BEIJING --- Peng Shuai produced the upset of
the first round in the China Open yesterday,
beating sixth-seeded Venus Williams 7-5, 6-1.
The 30-year-old Chinese wild-card entry broke
Williams' serve twice in the second set.
In other matches, top-ranked Angelique Kerber
defeated Katerina Siniakova 6-4, 6-4, No. 16 Elina
Svitolina beat Tatjana Maria 6-2, 6-2, Daria
Gavrilova beat Christina McHale 6-4, 6-4, and fifth-
seeded Karolina Pliskova eliminated Lucie Safarova
6-7 (7), 6-1, 6-4.
Defending champion Garbine Muguruza, the
French Open champion who is seeded second, beat
Yulia Putintseva 6-2, 7-6 (5) in the second round.
In the men's first round, fifth-seeded David
Ferrer beat Pablo Cuevas 6-4, 7-6 (3) and No. 7
Roberto Bautista Agut defeated Australian
qualifier John Millman 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.
Nishikori crushes lucky loser Young
TOKYO --- Top-seeded Kei Nishikori came from a
set down to beat American lucky loser Donald
Young 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 yesterday in the first round of
the Japan Open.
Nishikori had been drawn to face Nicolas
Almagro, but the Spanish player withdrew because
of illness. Young, who had lost in qualifying to Ryan
Harrison, was given Almagro's spot in the draw
just a few hours before walking on court at Ariake
Young took the first set against the fifth-ranked
Nishikori but couldn't capitalize. The fifth-ranked
Nishikori twice broke on double faults by Young in
the closing stages and extended his career record
over the American to 4-0.
Next up for Nishikori is Portugal's Joao Sousa,
who rallied to beat Slovakia's Martin Klizan 4-6, 6-
Fourth-seeded Marin Cilic advanced with a 6-0,
4-6, 6-3 win over last year's runner-up, Benoit Paire
The Frenchman broke only once, in the seventh
game of the second set. Cilic regained control with
a decisive break in the sixth game of the third.
Cilic will face Fernando Verdasco in the second
round. The Spaniard beat Japanese qualifier Go
Soeda 6-7 (2), 6-3, 6-3.
Villa fires Di Matteo after poor start
BIRMINGHAM --- Aston Villa has fired manager
Roberto Di Matteo following the team's dire start
in its bid to make an instant return to the Premier
The Italian, who won the Champions League
with Chelsea in 2012, has been dismissed by
second-tier club Villa after only a few months in
charge. He was hired in June.
Villa says it "decided to act following a run of
Villa, European champion in 1982, is 19th in the
24-team League Championship and two points
above the relegation zone with only one win from
its opening 11 games.
The club spent about £50 million (US$64
million) following relegation to enhance its chances
Slovakia drops Weiss over DUI incident
BRATISLAVA --- Slovakia midfielder Vladimir
Weiss has been dropped from the squad for the
upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Slovenia
and Scotland following police allegations of drunk
Slovakia coach Jan Kozak announced his decision
yesterday. Slovakia faces Slovenia Saturday in
Ljubljana and plays Scotland at home in Trnava
three days later.
Kozak says Weiss has been left out temporarily
and he will make his final decision when the police
investigation is over. (AP)
Peng Shuai stuns
Venus in China Open
Zidane scrambling for answers
MADRID --- Real Madrid coach Zinedine
Zidane goes into the long international
break with a lot of thinking to do.
While the hiatus leaves fans having to
mull over the team s struggles a little longer,
Zidane will be able to use the extra time off
to find ways to get his squad back on track
after four straight draws.
"It s my responsibility to look for solutions
because we ve got to change things. We
can t carry on like this," Zidane said. "I m
not happy, that much is clear."
Madrid was held to a 1-1 draw by Eibar
at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium on Sun-
day, leaving the field jeered by fans. The
team had already failed to beat Las Palmas
and Villarreal in the Spanish league, as well
as Borussia Dortmund in the Champions
League. Its last win was at Espanyol on
"We need to look for ways to improve
and we ll do that after the international
break by working hard. I believe in the work
and the quality of this team. I don t think
attitude is the problem but something is
wrong," Zidane said. "We ve got 10 days
without the players and when they come
back we ll have to start working at 100 per-
cent, not only physically but tactically as
well. We need to work together."
Zidane said it s too early in the season to
talk about a crisis, but admitted the team
has to turn things around when it resumes
playing in two weeks.
"After the start we had to the season, this
is tough to take," he said. "I m not going to
lose my head but it s tough. We need to
work harder and show more intensity at
the beginning of games like we ve done very
often, but we re struggling to replicate that
Madrid lost the league lead to Atletico
Madrid after Sunday s draw. Atletico, which
won 2-0 at Valencia, also has 15 points, but
leads Madrid on goal difference. Sevilla is
third with 14 points, one more than
Barcelona, which lost at Celta Vigo 4-3.
Zidane said he may have to "bring more
intensity to the training sessions" to get his
players playing hard from the start.
Zidane has not been able to count on
some players during the winless stretch,
including left back Marcelo and defensive
midfielder Casemiro, who are injured.
To add to Zidane s problems, playmaker
James Rodriguez sustained a muscle injury
while warming up for Sunday s game against
Eibar, and midfielder Luka Modric will be
out for a while after undergoing arthroscopic
surgery on his left knee.
Madrid s next chance to snap its winless
streak is October 15 at Real Betis, a team
which has yet to lose at home. Madrid then
hosts sixth-place Athletic Bilbao.
Sterling out of Southgate's first matches in charge
LONDON --- Injury has denied Raheem
Sterling the chance to take his fine Man-
chester City form away with England.
The 21-year-old winger has responded
to a tough European Championship after
which he called himself "the hated one" by
flourishing under Pep Guardiola at City.
Sterling has scored five goals in 10 appear-
ances for City this season, but an unspecified
injury means he will miss interim manager
Gareth Southgate s first matches in charge
of England, against Malta and Slovenia.
Andros Townsend has been named as
Sterling s replacement for the World Cup
qualifiers, with the Crystal Palace winger
returning to the England squad for the first
time since the pre-Euro 2016 friendlies.
The former Tottenham and Newcastle
player will join the rest of the squad when
they convene at their St George s Park base
in central England today.
England hosts Malta at Wembley Stadium
on October 8, before playing away at Slove-
nia on October 11.
Southgate is in temporary charge after
Sam Allardyce s contract was terminated
last week after just one match and 67 days
in the position.
A British newspaper investigation showed
Allardyce appearing to offer advice to fic-
titious businessmen on how to sidestep an
outlawed player transfer practice, and also
negotiating a £400,000 (US$519,000) pub-
Southgate has been promoted from the
under-21s setup until at least November
when England also plays Scotland and Spain.
"I ve exchanged messages with Sam. It
was important to thank him," Southgate
said. "I didn t want to be seen as someone
who was waiting in the wings for an oppor-
"After these seven weeks everyone can
take a step back and think about what the
future might be."9AP)
American Bradley replaces Guidolin at Swansea
Swansea have sacked manager Francesco
Guidolin and appointed Bob Bradley as his
An American consortium led by Stephen
Kaplan and Jason Levien took over in July,
inheriting Guidolin as manager.
But after a six-match winless run, the
Italian has been replaced by former United
States boss Bradley.
"We can confirm the club has parted
company with Francesco Guidolin, who will
be replaced by Bob Bradley," Swansea wrote
Former Udinese boss Guidolin joined
Swansea in January as head coach and was
given a two-year contract in May.
Swansea s only wins this season were at
Burnley on the opening day of the Premier
League season and against Peterborough in
the EFL Cup.
Swansea lost in the next round to Man-
chester City, while the only Premier League
point in five games was a 2-2 draw with
Manchester City and Liverpool have beat-
en the Swans in successive weeks and they
travel to Arsenal on October 15, following
the international break.
Bradley becomes Swansea s fourth boss
in the space of a year.
Garry Monk was sacked in December
2015 and temporarily replaced by Alan Curtis
before Guidolin s appointment.
Jenkins said on the club s official website:
"It is never easy changing managers, but
we are looking at a long-term appointment
and we are confident Bob can settle us down
and stabilise matters on and off the pitch.
"We are obviously disappointed to part
company with Francesco.
"We felt he deserved his opportunity after
the work he did last season.
"Unfortunately we have not been able to
carry performances over from last season
and we felt we needed to change things as
soon as possible in order to move forward
in a positive way.
"We would like to thank Francesco and
his staff for their services to the club and
wish them well for the future."
Jenkins also spoke of Bradley s pedigree.
"We are delighted Bob has agreed to join
us," he added.
Swansea also announced that three mem-
bers of Guidolin s backroom team - Diego
Bortoluzzi, Gabrielle Ambrosetti and Claudio
Bordon - had been released.
...after Madrid's early struggles
Real Madrid's head coach Zinedine Zidane meets Sporting's head coach Jorge Jesus at the
Santiago Bernabeu stadium ahead of a Champions League, Group F soccer match between
Real Madrid and Sporting in Madrid, Spain, on September 14. AP PHOTO
Links Archive October 3rd 2016 October 5th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page