Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 19th 2016 Contents DEREK ACHONG and
Television personality Ian Alleyne yes-
terday made a public appeal to friends and
fans to assist him in helping to cover the
$748,000 debt he incurred from defaming
businessman Shaun Sammy on his Crime
Watch programme last year.
In a video posted on his Facebook page
hours after High Court marshalls and
Sammy's attorneys Om Lalla and Derrick
Balliram served a writ of execution at his
home at Rivulet Road, Couva, seizing elec-
tronic appliances and furniture, Alleyne
appeals to fans for donations.
"If we have to raise the $748,000 we will
raise it. There are people who will support
me, people will give. We will open up the
new studio and I will post the bank account
number and even with $20 we would come
back out," a teary-eyed Alleyne said.
The early morning visit to his home kicked
off a morning of legal woes for Alleyne who
later had a warrant issued for his arrest for
failing to appear in court for an unrelated
According to reports, as the court staff
were still in the process of sifting through
Alleyne's belongings, Alleyne was appearing
before Senior Magistrate Joanne Connor in
the Chaguanas Magistrates' Court around
9 am for the continuation of his case for
three criminal charges arising out of an inci-
dent at the home of car dealer Sheron
Sukhdeo in February.
Alleyne was charged then with resisting
arrest, using annoying language and
obstructing a police officer, all allegedly
during a confrontation with his former asso-
ciate turned television host, Insp Roger
Connor initially delayed the hearing of
Alleyne's case as she dealt with other cases
before her but when it was eventually
recalled an hour later, Alleyne was not pres-
A search was made of the courthouse
before Connor decided to issue a warrant
for his arrest on the advice of police pros-
The magistrate eventually withdrew the
warrant after Alleyne returned to court
around noon, apologised to the court and
explained that he had to leave earlier to
address the situation at his home.
In another Facebook post, done after the
warrant was withdrawn, Alleyne suggested
the serving of writ of execution on the date
of his court date was not a coincidence.
Indirectly refering to Alexander, Alleyne
alleged: "The said gentleman said last night
on television that I have something to get
when I go home. They knew that the court
case was today and they said let's embarrass
Alleyne thanked Connor for withdrawing
"Thank God good sense prevailed and
she (Connor) understood what was going
on," he said.
While Alleyne's posts each received over
1,800 "likes" and attracted hundreds of
"shares" and comments from social media
users, he was also criticised by some, who
posted photographs of an incomplete house
at Endeavor Gardens, Chaguanas.
Attempts to speak to Alleyne at his new
studio at Montrose, Chaguanas, which is
currently under construction, were unsuc-
cessful as one of Alleyne's employees said
he was not there. Several calls were placed
to his cellphone but he did not answer up
to late yesterday.
Legal sources told the T&T Guardian that
the seized items, which included a television,
stove and refrigerator, will be held in storage
for a week and would be sold at a public
auction in the event Alleyne did not clear
the debt by then.
Wednesday, October 19, 2016 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
For breaking news, call 225-4465 Exts 2032, 2033 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Exactly two weeks
after the murder of
her son, Theresa Liv-
erpool passed away
Relatives say since
the murder of 23-year-
old Keston Jeffery, his
mother had been
grieving and was never
Keston's sister, Asha
Samlalsingh, told the
T&T Guardian yester-
day she felt as though the people who killed her
brother were also responsible for the unbearable
"The people that killed my brother killed my
mother too. If they didn't do that, my brother and
mother would be here today," she said.
Samlalsingh said her current situation felt like
a bad dream and she could not come to terms with
the double tragedy.
Yesterday, Liverpool, 52, was eating and chatting
with relatives at her Point Fortin home around 10
am when she suddenly fainted. After she was revived
a short time later, the mother of five began frothing
at the mouth and collapsed again.
By the time she was taken to the Point Fortin
District Hospital, she was unresponsive and was
later pronounced dead.
Samlalsingh said her mother appeared good on
the outside but had been deteriorating on the inside.
"She would talk sometimes and then get quiet.
But everyday since my brother was killed my mother
has cried. She would be talking sometimes and
then just start to cry," she added.
Samlalsingh recalled a conversation with her
mother on Sunday night.
"She told me 'When I die take care of my brothers,'
and I told her don't talk like that. You need to be
strong for them," she said.
When the T&T Guardian had visited Liverpool's
home following Keston's murder, she was incon-
solable. Clutching at her belly then, Liverpool
screamed out for her son, saying: "Lord, I does
always ask you to take me before my children. Why
my son have to leave me and go?"
Two Mondays ago, Keston's white B-14 car was
found crashed on the roadside near a forested area
Despite searches that day, Keston was only found
the following day when a trail of blood led relatives
and police to his bloodied and battered body a short
distance away in a drain. He was a PH taxi driver
in the area and lived at Fortune Street, Egypt Village,
Point Fortin, with his siblings and mother.
Crying Ian begs
fans for $upport
Mom grieving over
murdered son dies
Sammy seizes furniture to collect $.7m debt
With tears running down his face, Alleyne
accused attorney Om Lalla of unfairly
targetting him by sending bailiffs to his
In an emotionally charged Facebook
"Live" video, Alleyne showed an empty
living room and kitchen after his furniture
and appliances were seized.
Standing barefooted in the middle of his
empty living room, with his young son
hovered in and out of the frame, Alleyne
told him to pick up his belongings off the
floor. As the young boy asked questions
about what items were taken from the
house, Alleyne broke down in tears.
He slammed Lalla for refusing to give
into pleas made to stop the levy, saying it
was meant to embarrass him. He was
adamant though he would not be held
down by his circumstances and encouraged
his fans to contribute to his bank account
as he is seeking to open his own studio.
On August 28, his Crime Watch
programme was taken off the air after CNC
3 cut ties with him. Alleyne has continued
his programme though, using the Facebook
live feature at crime scenes and racking up
thousands of views.
In a brief interview with the T&T
Guardian yesterday morning, Alleyne said
the property was owned by his parents. He
said he was not at the house when the levy
took place but later in his video he said he,
his wife and his son were all asleep when
the bailiffs came.
Weighing in on the incident yesterday,
attorney Subhas Panday said it seemed as
though the levy was only done to
embarrass Alleyne. He said he was doubtful
the furniture and appliances which were
levied could pay the debt owed by Alleyne.
Panday said, however, that it seemed law
could not be separated from politics, adding
the former "best buds" had been going at
each other for sometime now.
ACT TO EMBARRASS ME
for 18TH OCTOBER, 2016
Two Junior Sammy vehicles carry furniture seized from the home of former Crime Watch
host Ian Alleyne in Couva yesterday. PHOTO: RISHI RAGOONATH
Links Archive October 18th 2016 October 20th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page