Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 2nd 2016 Contents A14
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, November 2, 2016
A 43-year-old man who was accused of
murdering a coconut vendor during a bar
brawl in 2007 was found not guilty of the
charge but an administrative error kept him
behind bars for another 24 hours.
It took a 12-member jury before Justice Maria
Wilson in the Port-of-Spain High Court a little over
an hour to deliberate on the evidence presented by
State prosecutors against Radesh Ramjattan during
the ten-day trial which ended last Thursday.
Ramjattan s trial was expedited by the use of the
new Criminal Procedure Rules which proscribes
new procedures and penalties for procedural and
evidential applications made during trials in an
effort to address inefficiency in the criminal justice
The rules, which are scheduled to be introduced
next January, have already been put in use by some
High Court judges. Similar rules were introduced
for civil cases in 1998 and have resulted in speedier
disposal of cases.
Ramjattan, of Caroni, was on trial for the murder
of Maurice "Bobby" Beharry who died of chop
wounds during a fight at 24/7 bar at Bamboo Set-
tlement #2 in June 2007.
Ramjattan had claimed he was liming at the bar
when he had an argument with Beharry, who attacked
him with a cutlass. He claimed he managed to wrestle
the weapon from Beharry and used it to inflict the
wound, which he claimed was done in self-defence.
During his trial, prosecutors raised bad character
evidence which showed Ramjattan had been charged
in 1994 for murdering a man in a bar in Tunapuna
during Carnival celebrations that year. Ramjattan
was also found not guilty in that case.
While Ramjattan was found not guilty last
Thursday, he was only released the following
day as his attorneys had to resolve an admin-
istrative error which incorrectly showed he was
still awaiting trial for an unrelated offence
allegedly committed before Beharry s death.
Speaking briefly with the Guardian after
his release, Ramjattan blamed both incidents
in which he was charged with murder on
liming with "bad company."
Stating he no longer wished to socialise
in bars and around alcohol, Ram-
jattan said he was excited to cel-
ebrate Divali with his family.
"This would be my first Divali
for ten years and I want to eat
some channa and aloo and roti,"
Ramjattan s attorney, Daniel
Khan, said the use of the rules in
the case was instrumental in
reducing the length of the trial.
He was also represented by
Dianne Mano, while Veonna Neil-
Monroe and Victoria Manun pros-
ecuted for the Office of the Direc-
tor of Public Prosecutions.
The Court of Appeal has ordered a retrial for a 59-
year-old man from Tacarigua, convicted of attempting
to smuggle cocaine via international courier Federal
Delivering an oral ruling at the Hall of Justice in Port-
of-Spain on Monday, appellate judges Rajendra Narine, Alice
Yorke-Soo Hon and Mark Mohammed quashed the conviction
against Balram Supersad after State prosecutors accepted
that he had not had a fair trial.
Supersad s lawyers had contended that the judge who
presided over his trial last year failed to address the jury
properly, which convicted him of several legal issues. Supersad s
case is expected to be listed for retrial later this year.
Supersad, of Dinsley Main Road, Tacarigua, was arrested
at FedEx s branch at Pasea Main Road, Tunapuna, on October
Officers of the Organised Crime, Narcotics and Firearms
Bureau (OCNFB) detained him after 4.5 kilogrammes of
cocaine were found in a hidden compartment of a wooden
crate containing ceramic pots, which Supersad was accused
of trying to export using the courier.
Supersad had testified in his trial and claimed no wrong-
doing. He said he had been asked by a friend to assist in
transporting the package to the location and did not know
what was inside. He further alleged that police had questioned
and released the friend who had hired him. Supersad was
slapped with a 14-year prison sentence after being found
guilty of the offence by the jury.
Supersad was represented by Jagdeo Singh, Criston J
Williams and Rhea Libert, while Mauricia Joseph represented
the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
Retrial for FedEx
A major disaster was averted on Sunday during a flight
from Toronto to Piarco when one of its passengers
attempted to open one of the aircraft s exit doors dur-
As the plane landed safely at the Piarco Interna-
tional Airport at 4.20 am, the passengers disem-
barked breathing a sigh of relief and thanking God
Head, corporate communications at Caribbean
Airlines, Dionne Ligoure, confirmed the incident
Ligoure only said an elderly passenger on BW
601 "became confused resulting in unintentional
behaviour which caused the cabin crew to exercise
appropriate safety measures to manage
She said the flight landed safely with-
"As is the standard procedure, the
aircraft was met by local authorities
and the passenger was allowed to con-
tinue his journey on another carrier,"
One passenger recounted the events
saying the elderly passenger, who
seemed to be about 70 years old, and
had a thick Guyanese accent, was agi-
tated during the flight.
The passenger said the man was trav-
elling with a female companion and
had been moaning and crying in his
seat for almost an hour before the air-
craft touched down at Piarco.
The passenger said the disruption
took place well into the flight to
Trinidad and caused anxiety among
The passengers said the man was
sitting near the plane s exit and tried
to open the hatch before he was
restrained. At Piarco security officers
were called in before the man was taken
off the flight and later allowed to con-
nect to his flight to Guyana.
Disaster averted on
CAL Toronto flight
Links Archive November 1st 2016 November 3rd 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page