Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 16th 2016 Contents sports
tobagotoday.co.tt NOVEMBER 16 - 22, 2016
HARARE -- The West Indies must
cope with the loss of their best batsman
when they take on Sri Lanka and hosts
Zimbabwe in a triangular one-day se-
ries, after Darren Bravo was sent home
for remarks made on Twitter.
Bravo was axed from the West Indian
squad last Saturday due to "inappropriate
and unacceptable behaviour, which is con-
trary to his contractual obligations," the
West Indies Cricket Board said.
The batsman had responded to com-
ments by WICB president Dave Cameron,
who told a radio station that Bravo had been
offered only a Grade C central contract due
to his poor form in recent times.
"You hav been failing 4 d last 4yrs. Y
don't u resign and FYI I've neva been given
an A contract. Big idiot @davec51," Bravo
tweeted in reply last Friday.
The WICB release stated that a clause in
players' contracts stipulated no public
comments could be made that brought the
organisation into disrepute.
As a result Bravo, who was played 94
ODIs, has been replaced in the squad by fel-
low batsman Jason Mohammed, who has
played just two ODIs.
There was a further blow with spinner
Sunil Narine returning home due to per-
sonal reasons. He was replaced by leg-spin-
ner Devendra Bishoo.
The West Indians were already without
star players such as batsman Chris Gayle
and all-rounders Dwayne Bravo and Kieron
Pollard, who remain at odds with the
"It's obviously a big impact when you lose
senior guys with experience who bring
pedigree, but we're in a situation where we
have to cope with what we have," West In-
dies captain Jason Holder said on Sunday.
"We need to gel together as quickly as
possible and get everyone coming into the
tournament peaking at the right time."
West Indies will play Sri Lanka in their
first match in the series tomorrow at the
Harare Sports Club, before the series shifts
Sri Lanka will also be missing key players
after Angelo Mathews and Dinesh Chandi-
mal failed to overcome injuries that kept
them out of the recently concluded Test se-
ries against Zimbabwe.
Cricket South Africa (CSA) and
Cricket Australia (CA) have strongly
objected to the West Indies Cricket
Board s decision to charge a release fee
in order to provide a No-Objection Cer-
tificate (NOC) to Caribbean players
participating in overseas Twenty20
tournaments.The WICB had decided to
impose a levy of 20 per cent of a player's
contract fee, which it says should be paid by
the host board in order for West Indies play-
ers to participate in their T20 tournaments.
The news came to light last week when it
was leaked that the WICB informed Kieron
Pollard that he would not be given the NOC
to travel to South Africa for their domestic
T20 tournament, where he plays for the
In a subsequent media release, the WICB
issued an explanation of its decision, which
it said was a policy move made by its board
of directors. But later on, WICB chief exec-
utive Michael Muirhead said Pollard had
been granted the NOC without any condi-
tion. Muirhead added that the WICB would
carry on the dialogue with the other boards.
"While we do not wish to act in restraint
of trade, we must seek a balance to ensure
that there is fair and adequate compensa-
tion for the investment made in the play-
ers," the WICB release said.
"What WICB seeks is some compensa-
tion to recognise the investment made into
players, an investment from which another
Full Member is benefitting."
However, other boards disagreed. Both
CSA and CA said they did not support the
proposal and pointed out that it was re-
cently tabled for the first time by the WICB,
but not agreed upon, at the Cape Town
round of ICC meetings held in October.
"It was a WICB proposal, but not sup-
ported by any other member at the time,"
CSA chief executive Haroon Lorgat said.
"It was the first time the topic was raised
and it was concluded by all that we should
reflect on it as a part of all of the other re-
forms or regulations that we are presently
working on to support the primacy of inter-
Lorgat said the WICB decision to go solo
without proper consideration and agree-
ment with other stakeholders was inappro-
"I was quite surprised by the approach of
the WICB because we had discussed this
concept in a very preliminary way at the last
chief executives committee (CEC) meeting
in Cape Town. As an isolated measure, we
cannot support it at this stage."
Muirhead told ESPNcricinfo that WICB
president Dave Cameron had said the con-
cept was first discussed by the ICC board of
directors at a meeting earlier this year. "I
understand from my president that it was
approved at the ICC board level, which is
above the CEC. The board agreed to the
concept that (the) fee would be charged. I
have not seen the minutes itself, but this is
what he told me."
Muirhead said the ICC might have dis-
cussed the issue further on its own and per-
haps pointed out some "practical" issues,
which led to the discussion once again by
the CEC in Cape Town in October.
"It came up for discussion at the CEC
(meeting) and then they took that back to
the board. But there was an initial approval
at the board level earlier."
According to Lorgat, the WICB decision
was surprising because the ICC members
had agreed that the concept of a release fee
needed more discussion to understand the
full implications. He confirmed that CSA
had responded to the WICB saying it would
not support the payment of release fees at
"We have written back saying we are not
in a position to agree to pay release fees
when neither our board nor the ICC mem-
bers have properly considered the concept."
That opinion was supported by CA, too.
"We are aware of the issues pertaining to
West Indies Cricket Board releasing players
for other domestic leagues and are in dis-
cussion with them on this," a CA
"Cricket Australia does not support the
proposal suggesting that release fees be paid
by home member boards to WICB in order
for West Indies players to play in their do-
mestic leagues. This matter was briefly dis-
cussed and rejected by member board CEOs
at the recent ICC chief executives' meeting
in Cape Town."
Administrators - in the ICC and of the full
members - have been concerned about the
rising popularity of domestic T20 tourna-
ments, which have eaten into the viewership
of the other formats of the game. What has
also bothered many boards is players opting
to retire from international cricket to be-
come free agents, in order to lengthen their
T20 shelf life.
As such, Lorgat said a release fee was ap-
propriate in the case of the IPL, which is
played over nearly two months every year
when all international cricket effectively
comes to a standstill, as players from most
countries participate in the lucrative tour-
nament in India. In addition, the BCCI does
not release their players to the other
leagues. For these reasons the BCCI pays
member boards a certain fee by way of com-
"It should clearly apply to the BCCI be-
cause all the other countries have effec-
tively created a window for the IPL and thus
lost the opportunity to commercialise their
international rights during that period,"
"That is why the BCCI compensates the
other member boards. It is clearly very dif-
But Lorgat added that the same formula
could not be mechanically applied to other
member boards. (Cricinfo)
T&T Red Force batsman Jason Mo-
hammed warmed up for the upcoming
upcoming Tri-nation series in Zim-
babwe by slamming 70 for his team on
Mohammed has been called up to replace
Darren Bravo, who was sent home from
Zimbabwe after he tweeted unpleasantries
against WICB president Dave Cameron, for
the series featuring the hosts and Sri Lanka.
His knock enabled his team to record 234
for nine midway through the second session
of day two in reply to the Windwards Volca-
noes' 142 all out in their first innings on the
second day of the 2016/17 Digicel PCL at the
Queen's Park Oval, Port-of-Spain.
Play got underway at 4 pm, after a rain in-
terruption and Mohammed resumed on the
overnight position of 30 not out. He started
off the proceedings by striking three bound-
aries in the first over and this set the tone for
his innings. He raced to his half century and
with the support of wicketkeeper/batsman
Stephen Katwaroo was able to add 76 runs
for the sixth wicket.
Mohammed, who left for Zimbabwe yes-
terday, was finally dismissed for 76 and
soon after Katwaroo fell for 30, as Wind-
wards skipper Liam Sebastien dismissed
Star with the ball on day one Roshon
Primus then showed up with the bat and
added valuable runs with the lower order.
With the score at 234 for nine, he was bat-
tling on 31 not out with last man Sheldon
Cottrell on one. (Trinidad Guardian)
Links Archive November 15th 2016 November 17th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page