Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 18th 2016 Contents B12 SEA answers
guardian.co.tt Friday, November 18, 2016
Practice Exercise #1
Form a verb from EACH given nouns to
correctly complete the following sen-
(a) My sister can (song) sing quite
(b) The deep cut was (blood) bleeding
(c) Ellen (half) halved the oranges be-
fore sharing them among the chil-
(d) The evidence (proof) prooved
that the man was guilty, indeed.
(e) Much water had (drop) dropped
through the leak in the ceiling.
(f) A powerful glue helped to (bond)
bind the pieces of wood together.
(g) Our grandmother can (tale) tell a
most interesting story.
(h) I (thought) think that you made a
huge mistake, yesterday.
(i) The children were asked to (seat)
sit at the front.
(j) Paula usually (food) feeds her dog
2. VERBS From ADJECTIVES
Practice Exercise #2
(a) The soft, hot candy hardened as it
cooled in the pan.
(b) Flowers in a room can really serve
to beautify the surroundings.
(c) This road should be widened to
make it safer for drivers.
(d) Our teacher simplified the prob-
lem by using easier words to
(e) Danny moistened the dog chow
before giving it to Simba..
(f) The nurse cleansed the wound
with some warm water.
(g) The player was asked to justify
his unruly behaviour on the field.
(h) The cook thickened the soup by
adding some flour to it.
(I) Daddy sweetened his tea with a
teaspoon of sugar.
(j) The noises in the room seem to be
amplified as soon as all the doors
(B ) FORMING NOUNS
(1) NOUNS from ADJECTIVES
Practice Exercise # 3
obedient happy stiff
able patient rude
(a) In recent times, there seems to be
a scarcity of citrus fruits.
(b) While exercising, the athlete felt
an uncomfortable stiffness in his
(c) Most dogs show an amazing obedience
to their owners.
(d) His wickedness always prevented
him from being kind to others.
(e) The twin sisters showed an as-
tounding similarity to each other,
in many ways.
(f) Carol s birthday was certainly an
occasion for much happiness.
(g) The children enjoyed many inter-
esting activities during the
school s annual family day celebra-
(h) The man found it difficult to have
much patience after waiting for
five hours in the doctor s office.
(i) The mechanic had a great ability
to repair all types of vehicles.
(j) His sincerity has earned him the
deepest respect from everyone.
( 2 ) NOUNS from VERBS
Practice Exercise #4
-er - ment - tion -or
(1) The player expressed his disappointment
at not being selected to play in the fi-
(2) The directions to the museum were
clearly written on the wall.
(3) Darren has a most interesting collection
of rare stamps.
(4) The food was made tastier by the
addition of some special seasonings.
(5) Mrs. Allen was recently promoted as
director of the company.
(6) The school inspector was asked to in-
vestigate the problem at the school.
(7) His contentment about simple things
has made him very popular.
(8) An increased supply of cassava has
caused a reduction in its price.
(9) Our grandmother is a fantastic narrator
of folk tales.
(10) There was much resentment over
the way in which the woman was
treated at the airport.
(C) FORMING ADJECTIVES from NOUNS
Practice Exercise #5
(1) Jerry found it to be very (pain)
painful when he sprained his ankle.
(2) Most people find that dogs are very
(love) loveable pets.
(3) Although he is elderly, our grandfather
is a very (act) active person.
(4) The (skill) skilful footballer had
scored most of the goals.
(5) Andrew is much admired for being a
(peace) peaceful person.
(6) Sandie found that the injection was
surprisingly very (pain) painless.
(7) The fire had sadly caused the family to
become temporarily (home) homeless.
(8) The bride had worn a most (fashion)
fashionable dress for her wedding.
(9) It was (fortune) fortunate that Glen
was not punished for forgetting to do
(10) The mechanic used a (power) powerful
tool to straighten the dent in the car.
(2) Forming other Adjectives
Practice Exercise # 6
(a) (You) really cannot trust (displeased ;
(b) The class was asked to write over all
the (incorrect ; uncorrect) problems.
(c) The defender was (incomplete ;
immovable) as he tried to protect
(d) The coach was (insecure; disagreeable)
because of his rude nature.
(e) Ian was (inaudible ; unable) to keep
his appointment because of an emer-
(f) Being quite rude towards all whom he
meets, Kevin is a most (unpopular ;
(g) Most people do not agree with the
(unnecessary ; inhumane) treatment
(h) The witness was scolded by the mag-
istrate for his (untrue ; untidy) testi-
(i) Many people are scared to live in the (
unfair ; unsafe) neighbourhood .
(j) The sounds of the noisy traffic were
(inaudible ; inactive) as you moved
away from the scene.
1. The principal told us that we would all
be punished if we did not disclose the
name of the student who broke the
garden tap. reveal; divulge; release
2. The cobra, one of the most venomous
snakes found in India, is a popular pet
among snake charmers. poisonous;
toxic; deadly; lethal
3. Mikhail received many presents on his
tenth birthday. gifts; tokens
4. Many tall buildings are being erected
downtown Port of Spain.
5. The health and safety of a child is his
parent s primary concern. first;
principal; major; chief
6. Marc distributed the sweets equally
among the children in his class.
7. The fire had destroyed the entire
8. Assembly terminated at 9:00 am this
morning. ended; finished; concluded
9. It is very difficult for sugar to dissolve
in very cold water. melt; liquefy
10. His kind gestures demonstrated his
love for his fellowmen. showed;
"Don t cry, Kate, " said Henry,
"I ll help youfind yourpe
2. "Rani will represent our
school in the Music Festival,"
our teacher said.
3. A cat s paws, a wasp s
sting and a dog s teeth
are all examples of
4. "It s very hot today, I
think I m going to the
lake for a swim, " Leo
5. "What a naughty boy you
are!" the old lady exclaimed.
6. "It s no secret that I
will be holidaying in
Tobago this Easter, "
7. "Why are your tennis
shoes in the dining
8. "You re not going to
Theo s party until you
9. "Pass the ball to Ako!"
our coach shouted, "he
has an opportunity to
score a goal. "
10. "Hurrah!" our parents
shouted when Ako scored
1. a). inaugurated - launched; created;
started; instated; initiated; in-
b). complement - accompany; match;
balance; supplement; pair off
c). honour - respect; admiration; tribute
d). commemorate - celebrate; observe;
memorialise; remember; mark;
e). celebrated - observed; kept;
marked; honoured; rejoiced;
2. The phrase, 'family oriented activities ,
most likely refers to things (activities)
that family members will do together.
3. The phrase, 'variety of dates , most
likely means on different dates.
4. a) alternative - substitute; replace-
ment; other; option
b) invented - made; created; fabri-
cated; developed; designed
c) converted - changed; renewed; al-
tered; transformed; improved
d) destructive - damaging; negative;
hurtful; vicious; harsh
5. The term, 'environmentally friendly ,
most likely means things or actions
that will not harm the environment.
6. Wind is referred to as, 'air in motion ,
because wind is air that is moving
7. The phrase, 'in a very limited way , most
likely means not many or few.
8. One word that can be used to describe
the phrase, 'objects which can harm or
kill man and other animals , is danger-
ous (harmful, destructive, harsh may
also be used).
• Having a good study routine
and adequate preparation are
essential factors in becoming
confident for exams. Nothing
can replace being well pre-
• Ensure a balanced lifestyle
with leisure activities built
into your timetable.
Links Archive November 17th 2016 November 19th 2016 Navigation Previous Page