Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 21st 2016 Contents CSEC english B19
Monday, November 21, 2016 guardian.co.tt
continued on the next page
The shadows of the ships
Rock on the crest
In the low blue lustre
Of the tardy and the soft inrolling tide.
A long brown bar at the dip of the sky
Puts an arm of sand in the span of salt.
The lucid and endless wrinkles
Draw in, lapse and withdraw.
Wavelets crumble and white spent bubbles
Wash on the floor of the beach.
Rocking on the crest
In the low blue luster
Are the shadows of the ships.
By Carl Sandburg
DIRECTIONS. Read the poem carefully before
attempting the questions. Each question has
four options, select the most appropriate answer
based on what is implied or stated in the poem.
D. Forgiveness is a choice.
32. In the context of the article, what do you understand
by the term Sleep Deprivation?
A. Sleep that occurs outside regular sleeping times
B. In sufficient sleep
C. Sleep that is interrupted
D. Insufficient sleep at night
33. The study on sleeping habits found that underweight
teenagers had the most sleep, while overweight
teenagers had the least sleep. What do these results
reveal about sleep and or weight?
A. Weight is an important factor in the study.
B. There is a relationship between sleep and body
C. Sleep is necessary for the growth of teenagers.
D. Both sleep and weight is important to the
34. According to the researchers, the duration of sleep con-
sidered to be ideal is
A. 9 hours
B. 9.5 hours
C. 10 hours
D. 11 hours
35. "Melatonin" as referenced in (paragraph 5) is MOST
A. A consequence of sleep deprivation
B. A tranquilizer
C. A chemical produced by the body
D. A side effect
36. Which of the following statements is TRUE?
A. Adolescents can reverse the effects of mood
swings and sleep deprivation
B. Adolescents are occupied with technology
C. Adolescents are ultimately responsible for their
D. Adolescents are predisposed to diabetes
37. Based on the information contained in the article, as
people age they require
A. Less sleep
B. More sleep
C. Adequate sleep
D. Uninterrupted sleep
38. If Rapid Eye Movement (REM) is associated with
dreaming, what is dreaming indicative of
A. Early sleep
B. Late sleep
C. Partial sleep
D. Strong sleep
39. Apart from the health risks associated with Sleep
Deprivation, what other linkage/s has the writer es-
I. Rebellious behaviour
III. Road deaths
IV. Weight gain
A. I only
40. The closing paragraph can BEST be described as
A. A recommendation
B. An idea
C. A false expectation
D. An explanation
41. What does the writer's tone reflect?
42. Which of the following techniques does the writer
employ to substantiate her position?
A. Graphical representation
B. Data from various sources
C. Personal accounts
43. Which word BEST describes the mood of the poem?
44. In which line of the poem is the use of alliteration evi-
A. Line 2
B. Line 6
C. Line 7
D. Line 10
45. Line 3, "the blue luster," is a metaphor for
A. The sky
B. The sketch
C. The shadow
D. The sea
46. The "long brown bar," referred to in (line 5) is MOST
A. The sand
B. The jetty
C. The vessel
D. The sail
47. Identify the device employed by the poet in (line 7),
"the lucid and endless wrinkles"?
D. A hyperbole
48. What do (lines 9 and 10) of the poem illustrate?
A. The wind
D. The surf
49. The poet's ability to depict "the sketch," is achieved
through the use of
50. Which word BEST reflects the manner of the poem?
if high school students had the opportunity to sleep at
school around half of them went into REM sleep within a
few minutes. Those students that work are even more
Computers and TV encourage teenagers to stay awake
longer and mobiles can interrupt sleep throughout the
One solution is for our society to make changes and
allow high school and university classes to start later.
Teenagers can then get the sleep they need without hav-
ing to wake earlier than they should. Everyone will be hap-
pier about their performance at school, sport, work and
they will be as well.
TIPS FOR BETTER SLEEPING:
No caffeine -- it interrupts the circadian rhythms
Get some sunlight
Have a routine around bedtime
Allow enough time to sleep
Ensure comfortable temperature
No electrical appliances especially those with
About the author:
Article Lynn Berry, Natural News
Lynn Berry is passionate about personal development, natural
health care, justice and spirituality. She has a website at
Links Archive November 20th 2016 November 22nd 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page