Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 23rd 2016 Contents sports A47
Friday, December 23, 2016 guardian.co.tt
rant at critics
JOHANNESBURG---The coach of South Africa's
national team was fired yesterday following a
disciplinary hearing into his public outburst
after a World Cup qualifier last month.
Shakes Mashaba was suspended after a television
camera caught him ranting at his critics, while reports
claimed he also insulted the head of the country's
soccer federation after a 2-1 win against Senegal on
At a hearing that took place over five days this
month, Mashaba was found guilty of three charges
---gross misconduct/professional misconduct, gross
insubordination/professional misconduct, and viola-
tion of the federation's communications policy---and
was released with immediate effect.
"It is regrettable that we had to face the events of
the past month at a time when the national team is
experiencing a resurgence in its quest to qualify for
the 2018 World Cup," said Dennis Mumble, chief
executive of the South African Football Association.
South Africa has collected four points from its
opening two games in qualification to lie in second
place in Group D, behind Burkino Faso on goal dif-
ference. Only the first-place team qualifies.
Footage showed Mashaba being calmed by a report-
er and a SAFA official just before a post-match TV
interview for the national broadcaster following the
win over Senegal. The video showed a clearly angry
Mashaba shouting and pointing his finger as he moves
into position for the interview.
"This is my second life. These people have already
buried me, you know that," Mashaba said in reference
to the media.
South African media reported that the charges also
followed comments made by Mashaba to SAFA Pres-
ident Danny Jordaan and other federation officials
when they entered the dressing room to congratulate
Assistant coach Owen da Gama took charge of a
friendly against Mozambique while Mashala was
South Africa's next World Cup qualifier isn't until
The team didn't qualify for the African Cup of Na-
tions, running from January 14-February 5 in Gabon.
Mourinho aims higher than fourth
Jose Mourinho insists Manchester
United can do better than fourth place
in the Premier League, but says he does
not wish to set a definitive target this
Mourinho's United are currently in sixth
place after three straight wins, four points
off the top four as they enter the busy
They finished outside of the Champi-
ons League places under Louis van Gaal
last term and Mourinho says he does not
wish to make fourth a target, insisting his
side can achieve more than that despite the
In an interview with Sky Sports News
HQ, he said: "For me to be happy, it's an
accumulation of factors. For me to be happy
is the way we end the season playing, the
evolution of the team, the empathy with the
supporters, the results in many different
competitions we are playing.
"So let's see where we finish, I don't want
to say fourth, because I think we can do bet-
ter than fourth
"But we have the risk of not finishing
fourth because the competition is so hard
and the top teams have the same ambitions
as we have. So I don't want to say fourth or
third or fifth."
Mourinho has endured a mixed opening
five months to his time at Old Trafford, but
looks to have found the formula for success
in the last three games.
However, the 53-year-old says his side
never deviated too far from their principles
when things weren't going according to plan
earlier in the season.
Asked about his relationship with the
Manchester United fans, Mourinho says
he feels he has a special bond with the Old
Trafford faithful, adding that the supporters
believe in what the club are trying to do.
When asked if he had a message for the
supporters at Christmas, the Portuguese
boss said: "To thank them, because I know
they believe in us.
In this January 27, 2015 file photo, South Africa's
head coach Shakes Mashaba. AP PHOTO
NOTICE TO STAKEHOLDERS
The Community Comfort Patrol wishes to advise the General Public that by Letter dated 19th December,
2016, The Ministry of National Security has advised the Four (4) Security companies that their respective
contracts for the provision of the Community Comfort Patrol services will be terminated effective January
The Community Comfort Patrol was mandated to effect patrols in ffteen (15) sectors. As a result of the
termination of the contract, this serves to advise affected persons in the respective sectors that the Com-
munity Comfort Patrol Call Centre ( 289 3000 ) in addition to all mobile patrols will cease to operate as
of midnight December 31, 2016.
THE SECTORS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Sector A: Diego Martin / Petit Valley / Carenage
Sector B: Port of Spain / St. Anns
Sector C: San Juan / Barataria
Sector D: St. Joseph / St. Augustine /Valsayn
Sector E: Tunapuna / Trincity
Sector F: D'abadie / Arima
Sector G: Chaguanas / Couva
Sector H: San Fernando /La Romain
Sector I: Fyzabad / Siparia
Sector J: Penal / Debe
Sector K: Point Fortin /Cedros
Sector L: Mayaro / Rio Claro
Sector M: Toco / Manzanilla
Sector N: Tobago East
Sector O: Tobago West
We take this opportunity to thank all the Stakeholders that contributed to the success of this initiative. The
Ministry of National Security, the suppliers ( who usually responded at short notice ) the dedicated profes-
sional men and women of the CCP staff and last but by no means least, the vast number of residents in the
various sectors that validated the effectiveness of the CCP on a daily basis.
WE ALSO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO WISH TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO A SAFE AND HEALTHY 2017.
85A Cipriani Boulevard, Port of Spain,
Tel: 624-7227 Fax: 625 1304 email:email@example.com
Links Archive December 22nd 2016 December 24th 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page