Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 11th 2017 Contents A8 news
guardian.co.tt Wednesday, January 11, 2017
Son's prayers answered
The candle-light prayer of a
boy for his imprisoned father
which led to a fire on Box-
ing Day, leaving 28 people
homeless, was answered yes-
terday when one of the cases
against his father was dis-
missed, pushing him a step
closer to freedom.
"Of course my son prayers was
answered,"said Kay Greene, 32, as
she walked out of the San Fernando
Magistrates' Court after the mar-
ijuana trafficking case against her
husband Robert Attong and the
boy's father was thrown out.
Although Attong remained in
custody yesterday, Greene said her
husband was now entitled to get
bail in his other matter which will
be heard in the Point Fortin Mag-
istrates Court next Wednesday.
She said her five-year-old
son Jahzeel, will be very happy.
The child was using a candle at
his Bayshore, Marabella home to
pray for his father when it fell on a
mattress, setting fire to his home.
The blaze quickly spread through-
out that building and neighbour-
ing homes, leaving several people
homeless. Several of them were left
with no other alternative but to
sleep in the nearby basketball court.
Attong, jointly charged with
four men in the San Fernando
Second Court with marijuana
trafficking, was out on bail in this
matter. He, however, was re-ar-
rested and charged for a similar
offence last March and was sub-
sequently denied bail.
In yesterday's matter, Attong
and his co-accused were allegedly
held in a car in which marijuana
was found at Gulf View Link Road,
La Romaine on July 22, 2008.
Attong, Clint Gibbs and Hadeed
Mohammed pleaded not guilty
while two others pleaded guilty
and were sentenced to a term in
prison. The matter was set for
trial, but the prosecution was
Court prosecutor Sgt Dianath
Harricharan told Magistrate
Margaret Alert that the exhibit
was collected from the Forensic
Sciences Centre by the police
complainant, PC Safraz Juman,
on June 30, 2009 and he lodged
it was the narcotic custodian at
the San Fernando Police Station.
However, he said Juman, who is
one of six policemen charged with
the 2011 murders of three people
in Barrackpore, did not have the
exhibit. The prosecutor said its
other witness, Cpl Joseph, was not
present as he was on active duty.
The accused said they were
ready to proceed. Noting that
since 2013 the matter had been
fixed for trial, the magistrate asked
the prosecutor whether he could
make out a prima facie case with-
out the exhibit.
The prosecutor said he could
not and the matter was subse-
Attong's wife went downstairs
the court where she applied for an
extract to take to the Point Fortin
Court for his other matter on Jan-
uary 18. She was confident that her
husband, the father of four of her
six children, will soon be reunited
"This matter was keeping him
back from getting bail. Seeing that
he won this matter he will be given
bail," Greene said.
Before she left home, she said
Jahzeel asked: "'Daddy coming
home mummy? You going for
Asked about their living ar-
rangements since the fire, she said
they have been staying "house to
house" but presently she was by
San Fernando mayor Junia Re-
grello and San Fernando West MP
Faris Al-Rawi intervened and were
putting things in place to rebuild
the families' homes.
Case against father dismissed
St Joseph man electrocuted
A St Joseph man died yester-
day after being electrocuted by
a high tension wire on his work-
According to reports, around
9.30am , Stanley Thomas of Ma-
racas, St Joseph was on a job site at
Canaan Road, La Romaine when the
Thomas was said to be employed
with a roofing company. He was on
the roof of the 20-foot tall building
which is currently under construc-
tion, carrying a steel beam when
his co-workers heard him begin
The beam had come into contact
with high tension wires nearby. The
co-workers reported that they hit
him away from the beam and he
fell to the ground.
He was said to have been bleeding
from the ears and mouth. An ambu-
lance took him to the San Fernando
General Hospital where he later died.
Crews from T&TEC and the Fire
Service responded to the scene and
the electricity for the building was
cut along with the supply for the
Woman sues hospital
after giving birth
A 23-year-old woman from Arou-
ca, who was left with a egg sized ball
of gauze inside her after giving birth
at the Eric Williams Medical Scienc-
es Complex in Mt Hope is suing for
According to her claim filed in the
Port-of-Spain High Court last Wednes-
day, Crystal Graham, of Coquina Street,
Bon Air West, Arouca, is claiming that
the hospital's staff acted negligently by
failing to recognize that the object had
been left inside of her when she was
Graham visited the hospital on De-
cember 17, 2015, to give birth to her son.
She was discharged the following day
after the successful birth, but almost
immediately began suffering abdominal
pains which she assumed to be natural
post child bearing pain.
Almost a month later, Graham was
urinating at home when she pushed
the object out of her vagina.
Graham claims when her husband took
her back to the hospital and explained
what had happened, they were turned
away as staff indicated that their respon-
sibility of care towards her only extended
to 10 days after she gave birth.
In her claim against the North Central
Regional Health Authority, which oper-
ates the facility, Graham said that for
several days after passing out the object
she was bleeding heavily. The bleeding
still continues but has gradually de-
creased and become more infrequent.
In addition to the bleeding, Graham
claims she is still suffering from painful
urination, infrequent bowel movements
and painful sexual intercourse.
A date for the first hearing of the case
is yet to be set by the Judiciary. Graham
is being represented by Larry Lalla.
Judge strikes out negligence
case against lawyer
A High Court judge yesterday
refused to strike out professional
negligence lawsuit brought against
an attorney from Tobago by her for-
Attorney Samantha Lawson was
seeking to have the case brought against
her by her former client, Eleonore
Nollet-Neuhaus, be dismissed as she
(Nollet-Neuhaus) had already taken her
before the Disciplinary Committee of
the Law Association.
Delivering his decision on the issue
yesterday, High Court judge Frank
Seepersad said the case should go to
trial for Nollet-Neuhaus to be given
the opportunity to ventilate her case.
He also said that the court's power to
strike out a claim at a preliminary stage
should be used sparingly.
As a result of the decision, Lawson
was ordered to pay Nollet-Neuhaus'
legal costs for defending against the
According to the lawsuit, No-
llet-Neuhaus retained Lawson in 2015
for her divorce proceedings and for the
later sale of a property valued a $3.9
Nollet-Neuhaus claimed that Law-
son negotiated the sale of the property
and collected the $390,000 deposit. She
claimed that Lawson never handed over
the deposit and later informed her that
she (Lawson) was in fact working with
the prospective buyer of the property.
Nollet-Neuhaus is seeking damages
from Lawson for breach of contract and
is also seeking to recover the deposit.
During yesterday's hearing Seepersad
gave directions for the filing of submis-
sions and the matter was adjourned to
Nollet-Neuhaus is being represented
by attorneys Thomas Cunningham and
Desperadoes Steel Orchestra pannist John Gloud paints a rack while other players practise at the band's
pan yard for the Carnival season at the Greyfriers Church site Frederick Street, Port-of-Spain yesterday in
preparation for the National Panorama competition in which they are the defending champions in the large
conventional band category. PHOTO: ABRAHAM DIAZ
JANUARY 10, 2017
January 10, 2017
January 10, 2017
January 10, 2017
January 10, 2017
Links Archive January 10th 2017 January 12th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page