Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 7th 2017 Contents A4 news
guardian.co.tt Tuesday, February 7, 2017
Clean up at Sando
RADHICA DE SILVA
The South West Regional
ty (SWRHA) will
clogged air ducts
and mouldy vents
from the Accident
and Emergency De-
partment of the San
Fernando General Hos-
As such, patients have been ad-
vised to seek medical care elsewhere.
Though the San Fernando A&E
department will remain open to the
public, SWRHA's chief executive
officer Anil Gosine said it was
advisable for patients to
seek medical care at the
A&E facilities of the
Point Fortin District
District Health fa-
cility, Princes Town
Hospital and Siparia
District Health fa-
Saying all of these
institutions have a
full complement of
staff, Gosine said the
will last for one week
starting from today.
"We are not closing
the department but
there will be a disrup-
tion of service from
February 7 to 14,"
He added that if pa-
tients wanted to come
to San Fernando, they
were free to do so.
" If it is convenient to
them, they can access care at
the other facilities. We are fully
staffed at the four other A&E
and we will also be fully
staffed here at San Fer-
nando for those who
still want to come
here," Gosine said.
He explained that
an estimated 250 to
300 patients come
to the San Fernando
A&E department on
a daily basis, whilst
the SWRHA caters
to the needs of over
half a million people.
cal director of the
yesterday he was
grateful that the San
Fernando A&E facili-
ties will remain open
to the public despite
the clean-up pro-
Noting that some
of the medical equip-
ment and facilities
available in San
Fernando were not
provided at the oth-
er health facilities,
Chatoorgoon said it
was "absolutely im-
perative that the
San Fernando A&E
Man with no DP, insurance sent to jail
Repeat traffic offender Ravi Boochoon was jailed for 15
months and banned from driving for three years after
he pleaded guilty to driving without a driver's permit
With a long criminal record, comprising 24 previous con-
victions, including ten for traffic violations, Boochoon ap-
peared before San Fernando magistrate Natalie Diop charged
with two offences.
Giving a brief outline of the facts, prosecutor Sgt Kass-
iram Lutchman said around 11.20 am on February 2, Special
Reserve Policeman Jared Steele was on patrol duty along
Red Pen Road, Ghandi Village, Debe when he saw Boo-
choon driving a Nissan Bluebird wagon. Steele found he
was acting suspiciously and caused him to stop the vehicle.
When the officer asked Boochoon for his permit and
insurance, he said: "Ah doh have none de boss."
In answer to the officer, Boochoon said he was never
issued a permit. When he was informed of the offences
he committed, Boochoon said: "Oh Gosh the boss give me
ah chance nah I have three children to mind."
He was arrested and taken to the Debe Police Post where
he was charged.
After perusing his criminal record the magistrate sen-
tenced him to three months for having no permit and on
the other charge he was disqualified from driving for three
years and sentenced to 12 months in prison.
The sentences were ordered to run consecutively. Steele
was commended by the police for his keen sense of ob-
Cops: Beware of
JENSEN LA VENDE
Police believe there is a ring of highly skilful thieves
who enter businesses through the roof or other less
secure areas to make off with their loot.
The most recent case took place between Sunday night and
yesterday morning at Massy Supermarket on Cascade Road, St
Anns. According to police reports, the store's manager secured the
vault and the store around 6 pm on Sunday and on returning sometime
around 6 am yesterday, they saw that the safe had been opened with the
use of a blowtorch.
Police said an estimated $110,000 was stolen and believe the culprits
may have been expecting more cash from sales over the weekend. The
thieves, officers said, entered through the roof of the building. The se-
curity company hired to protect the business reported that the
silent alarm was triggered several times but checks made showed
nothing suspicious was taking place and dismissed the alarms
as slight malfunction.
Inspector Williams and his team of Sgt Mc Guirk and PC
Dopwell of the Belmont Police Station visited the supermarket
approximately one hour after the theft was discovered. Dopwell
will continue investigations.
Police said they suspect the culprits had inside help. This
assumption was made in 2015 when thieves allegedly made off
with close to $25 million in cash and jewelry from M&M Pawn
Shop, Henry Street, Port-of-Spain. It was alleged that five people
robbed the store after entering and exiting through the roof of the
building. The alleged culprits: Melissa Evans, her common-law
husband, Javon Cudjoe, his brother, Jude Cudjoe, Anthony
Montano and Vishnu Latchman were granted a total of $14
million bail. Their matter is currently pending.
The five are charged with breaking and entering More
Money (M&M) Pawn Shop and Jewelry Store, between
Saturday February 21 and Monday February 23, 2015 and
stealing $23,693,55.49 in jewelry, $60,000 in cash and
$6,000 in electronic items.
On December 6, 2014 thieves also broke into Jankie's Jew-
elry in Plaza 2001 along the Chaguanas Main Road. Three
men entered through the roof of the mall and using grinders
to cut open four safes which contained gold and diamond
jewelry, made off with some $8 million in precious metal.
No one has been held in relation to that robbery. When the
T&T Guardian visited the supermarket yesterday morning, the
supervisor reported that the management had nothing to say about
the incident. The store remained open "like normal" one employee said.
The store's opening was slightly delayed because if the break-in, the
T&T Guardian was told.
Links Archive February 6th 2017 February 8th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page