Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 16th 2017 Contents B8 life
guardian.co.tt Thursday, February 16, 2017
New York Fashion
touches on politics
This Fashion Week in New York, designers
have come up with varying ways to comment,
either overtly or not, on the nation's political
situation. Naeem Khan decided to use poetry.
As the final design made its way down the runway
on Tuesday---a grand, glistening, golden bridal gown,
with a gold floral crown and a cascading veil with a
black-and-gold train---the soundtrack played Maya
Angelou reading her poem, Human Family.
"The variety of our skin tones can confuse, bemuse,
delight, brown and pink and beige and purple, tan and
blue and white," the poem reads in part.
It closes by saying, three times: "We are more alike,
my friends, than we are unalike." (AP)
Bocas a hit among world festivals
Penguin Random House The
Writers' Academy has just pub-
lished its choice of the best lit-
erary festivals around the world
and included the NGC Bocas Lit
Fest---the most dynamic and
prestigious annual literary fes-
tival in the region.
According to Penguin Random
House, the world's largest seller of
non-educational books with reve-
nue of more than US$4 billion per
annum: "There are so many liter-
ary festivals taking place around
the globe that finding the best ones
might seem like an impossible task...
we've taken that challenge on. We
searched high and low through
endless lists of events to narrow
down the top 20 worldwide book
festivals and fairs that you need to
Marina Salandy-Brown, founder
and director of the festival remarks,
"We know we have a gem on our
hands and people here and abroad
who have been to Bocas love it and
keep coming back but to be counted
alongside touchstone festivals such
as Hay, Edinburgh, Berlin, FLIP and
Jaipur, makes me proud of what we
have achieved. I want to thank my
who pull rabbits out of hats every
year and to thank our sponsors who
make it possible. I hope still more
Trinis will come to our seventh fes-
tival, 26-30 April in Port-of-Spain."
A release said the National Gas
Company of T&T, title sponsor of
the festival, was quick to applaud
the Bocas team, "NGC is proud and
honoured to be associated with the
Bocas Lit Fest crew and programmes.
International recognition of our sig-
nature NGC Bocas Lit Fest honours
the many Trinidad and Tobago and
regional writers who are impacting
the international literacy scene."
Congratulations have been quick
to come in for the NGC Bocas Lit
Fest, among them from the British
Council which recognises that being
cited by Penguin Random House as
among the best literature festivals in
the world is a significant accolade.
David Codling, the British Council
Head of Arts Americas, writes, "It
is a splendid and richly deserved
acknowledgement of what Bocas
has achieved in a remarkably short
time. We are proud of the British
Council's partnership with Bocas
and what we have done alongside
Bocas to promote the Caribbean on
the world stage, to strengthen the
literary and publishing ecosystem
and the wider creative economy in
the Caribbean, and boldly and con-
fidently bring culture to the political
debate about development."
The "best literary festival" is one
in a series of Penguin Random House
"Best of" lists of 2017. Their Best
Creative Writing Blogs and Best
Writing Competitions have driven
thousands of people to take part,
and so the people of T&T can look
forward to even greater interest in
this country's first-class interna-
Fashion from the Naeem Khan collection is modeled
during Fashion Week on Tuesday in New York.
Job Title: Manager, Policy, Research & Planning
Policy, Research & Planning
Chief Executive Offcer
A. JOB SUMMARY
The Manager, Policy, Research & Planning is responsible for the management of all research and specifc planning activities of the
Commission. These include conducting relevant research and analysis of the capital markets, local and international economies, secu-
rities legislation and all other associated matters.
• Provides direction and oversight of all research activities in the Commission.
• Develops the work programme for the Department including and not limited to the establishment of controls, milestones, policies
and procedures for research projects.
• Analyses and prepares reports on economic trends and developments in both domestic and international capital markets and
• Conducts and publishes research on market structures, products, services and developments.
• Conducts research on and develops policy matters that may arise within the operational Divisions.
• Interprets, analyses and presents the results of research projects and recommendations that are based on sound data verifcation,
validation and data integrity.
• Contributes to the development and dissemination of publications and documents in respect of the securities industry.
• Oversees/prepares reports as required and ensures compliance with statutory submission requirements.
• Ensures that proper systems are implemented to track all data requests and requirements.
• Manages the day to day operations of the Department.
• Provides direction to the Department's staff by assigning and supervising designated projects and implementing practices to im
prove quality work standards to increase the department's level of productivity.
• Performs other job related duties as required.
C. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting/Economics /Management/Business related feld.
• A Master's Degree in Economics/Finance or equivalent post-graduate degree in a related area with a strong theoretical background
in statistics will be an asset.
• A minimum of 7 years' experience in research and analysis in the areas of Economics, Management and/or Finance.
• A minimum of 5 years of managing staff at a professional level.
• Any relevant combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
All applications should be forwarded under confdential cover and addressed as follows:
Vacant Position: MANAGER, POLICY, RESEARCH AND PLANNING
THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Trinidad and Tobago Securities and Exchange Commission
57-59 Dundonald Street
Port of Spain
email address: email@example.com
If applying via email, the subject of the email should read as follows:
"Vacancy -- Manager, Policy, Research and Planning"
Applications should arrive no later than February 21, 2017
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WOULD BE CONTACTED
Trinidad and Tobago Securities and Exchange Commission
Links Archive February 15th 2017 February 17th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page