Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 17th 2017 Contents sports A53
Friday, February 17, 2017 guardian.co.tt
Jamaican sprinter Nesta Carter has launched
an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport
(CAS) against the ruling that saw his country's
4x100 metres relay team, including Usain Bolt,
stripped of their Beijing 2008 Olympic gold
Carter was disqualified from the race last month
after he failed a drug test for banned energy boosting
substance methylhexaneamine following re-analysis
of frozen samples.
The team, which included Carter, Michael Frater,
Asafa Powell and Bolt, have all now returned their
medals to the International Olympic Committee
Bolt consequently no longer holds a "treble-treble"
of 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay victories from
the Beijing, London 2012 and Rio 2016 Olympics.
Carter, who ran the first leg in Beijing, had vowed
to appeal the decision to CAS and had until yester-
day to do so.
A date for Carter to appear before CAS is yet to be
confirmed, his lawyer Stuart Stimpson told Reuters
after confirming the appeal had been submitted.
"Yes, they were sent electronically today and the
hard copies will get there tomorrow, so they have
been filed," Stimpson told Reuters.
"We've paid our fees and we met our time line."
It was claimed last month that the entire Jamaican
team were considering an appeal, although Bolt was
non-committal about whether he would consider
Carter also formed part of the gold medal winning
team in London, but it is thought that retests of his
sample from there have come back negative.
According to Reuters, a letter from Gers to JAAA
President Warren Blake read: "Having consulted the
IAAF Medical and Anti-Doping Department, it ap-
pears that Mr. Carter is not currently provisionally
"He is eligible to compete in athletics competition
pending the CAS proceedings."
Some 61 women golfers will tee off at St An-
drews Golf Course, Moka, at the club's annual
Nestle/Nescafe Ladies Golf Open, this weekend .
Nestle, which has supported the event each year
since its inception in 1989, has pumped $80,000 to
open through its brands Svelty and newcomer, Nes-
cafe Dolce Gusto.
The 29th edition of the two-day tournament of-
fers high-level competition for women golfers of all
skill levels, promotes healthy lifestyles among women
and celebrates women in golf. The open is just one
of two in T&T played over two days for women only
and this tournament in particular, is a national team
qualifier for selection in international competition
later this year.
This was revealed at the launch of the event last
Harper, left, senior
Gyan and Elisa
Doldron of NESTLÉ
in presenting the
for $80,000 to
Lawrence of the St
Andrews Golf Club,
Nestle invests $80,000 in women's golf open
Thursday, where the sponsorship cheque was pre-
sented to Angela Hodgkinson, captain, and Elizabeth
Lawrence, treasurer of the St Andrews Golf Club, La-
dies Section, at the company's head office in Valsayn.
During the cheque handover ceremony, Elisa Dol-
dron, head of Consumer Marketing at Nestle, ex-
pressed great pride in being a part of the advancement
of women's golf in T&T and the region, by extension.
Supporting her sentiment, Rae-Ann Clement-Harper,
senior Consumer Marketing manager, Nescafe Dolce
Gusto highlighted the superior fit between women's
golf, a premium sport, and Dolce Gusto, a premium
In response, Lawrence thanked Nestle for its con-
tinued support in the promotion of women, and ladies
golf in particular, through its Svelty and Dolce Gusto
brands. Also present was Vashtie Bharat-Gyan, Con-
sumer Marketing specialist, Dairy and Milk Powder.
The competition, which starts on Saturday, will be
played in three flights to accommodate all handicap
levels and will be contested as strokeplay over 36 holes
with the second round on Sunday.
In recent times, the 1st flight has been dominated
by the country's junior golfers. Two-time defending
champion Ysabelle Lawrence, 19, is, however, unable
to defend her title this year due to academic respon-
sibilities abroad. This means a new champion will
emerge this year.
Before the open starts, the Ladies Section will host
a warm-up tournament and cocktail reception for its
players, which attracts lady golfers from the Carib-
bean and further afield. This year, 19 overseas players
will participate from territories including Antigua,
Barbados, Canada, Curacao, St Kitts, Suriname and
the United Kingdom.
appeal after relay
Links Archive February 16th 2017 February 18th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page