Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 4th 2017 Contents MADRID---Atletico Madrid
striker Fernando Torres was
released from the hospital yes-
terday following a scary head-
to-head clash which left him
Atletico said a CAT scan did not
reveal any damage to his head or
Torres told local media shortly
after being discharged that he was
"It all turned out to be a big
scare, and I am counting the days
and hours before I can be back with
my teammates," he said.
Doctors have ordered the
32-year-old former Spain striker
to wait 48 hours before practicing
or playing again.
"In a couple of days I will be able
to train again and be back ready,"
Torres collapsed and lost con-
sciousness after knocking heads
with Deportivo La Coruna mid-
fielder Alex Bergantinos in the 85th
minute of Thursday's 1-1 draw in
He was assisted for several min-
utes by doctors before being taken
off on a stretcher and transferred
to a hospital.
Saturday, March 4, 2017 guardian.co.tt
Season kicks off in
BEIJING---The Chinese Super League kicked off yes-
terday following an offseason in which clubs splashed
out $410 million on new players, even as questions
emerged about the league's finances.
Guangzhou Evergrande is chasing a seventh con-
secutive league title, but faces tougher competition
from clubs which have bulked up with foreign talent
such as Oscar and Carlos Tevez, now the highest
paid player in the world.
The league's spending exceeded the $263 million
on transfers by the 20-team English Premier League,
sparking concern from managers in Europe that more
top players could be headed east.
It was also more than 16 times what was spent
by teams in Spain, where leading teams are owned
by fans and invest heavily in home-grown talent,
and more than the combined total spent by clubs
in France, Germany, Italy, and Spain.
Chinese players have also transferred at high
prices, although the Chinese Football Association
worries that home-grown talent will lose playing
opportunities to the foreigners when it's trying to
improve the national team.
Sports authorities in January issued new rules
limiting clubs in the 16-team league to using just
three foreign players in games, and hinted at a future
New concerns have also risen about the sustain-
ability of the Chinese Super League's business model,
with much of the big spending on players spurred
by the sale of the 2016-20 television rights for a
record $1.25 billion.
The first two years of the contract were then sold
onward to the firm LeSports, which last month had
its broadcasting contract with the Asian Football
Ticket sales, merchandising, and advertising re-
ceipts are also reportedly far from compensating
for the vast transfer fees.
Developments in the Chinese Super League come
amid a push to develop China into a footballing su-
perpower through the development of 50,000 youth
academies by 2025 to train 50 million players.
China's men have qualified for only one World Cup
and President Xi Jinping has made boosting Chi-
na's football fortunes a national priority. Plans call
for again qualifying for the sport's marquee event,
hosting it and winning the title by 2050.
scary head clash
Antonio Conte has reit-
erated his commitment to
Chelsea after being linked
with Inter Milan.
The 46-year-old former Ju-
ventus and Italy head coach has
rejuvenated Chelsea this sea-
son and has been linked with
a return to his homeland with
Inter in the summer.
But Conte says his focus is
with Chelsea, having begun a
three-year contract last July.
"My situation is very clear,"
"I have a contract with Chel-
sea. We are trying to do some-
thing important with the club,
for the present, for the future.
"Every coach, when you start
work with a new club, you hope
to stay many, many years, be-
cause it means you are working
"You have the possibility to
improve your players, to im-
prove your team and to grow
Conte admitted it had not
been easy living apart from wife
Elisabetta and daughter Vitto-
ria, who have stayed in Italy so
his daughter can complete the
current school year.
Conte added: "The only
problem for me this season is
the family is missing me.
"My family stay in Italy and
I'm working, I'm working for
the future to try to bring them
here and to stay together."
Chelsea, 10 points clear of
second-placed Tottenham en-
tering this weekend's fixtures,
play at West Ham on Monday.
The Blues won the 2014-15
title but finished 10th last sea-
son as Leicester won the title.
The last two champion-
ship-winning managers -
Jose Mourinho at Chelsea and
Leicester's Claudio Ranieri
- have lost their jobs the fol-
Conte is aware of the precar-
ious nature of management,
particularly at Chelsea where
owner Roman Abramovich has
regularly wielded the manage-
"The story tells this, but I'm
not worried about this," Conte
"With my players I want to
work, to work very hard. I trust
have to continue in this way to
work very hard and to try to do
something important also in
this season, because we are in
the right position and we have
the possibility to continue in
Chelsea lost twice in Sep-
tember before a 13-game
winning run in the Premier
League ended at Tottenham
on January 4.
The only game the Blues
lost during that three-month
sequence was at West Ham in
the EFL Cup in a match marred
by violence at the London Sta-
Conte's side, who have just
two defeats and two draws in
24 games in all competitions,
also play in the final match
of the weekend, so will know
how their title opponents have
He added: "For sure, we want
to try to take three points in this
"We will know the other re-
sults of the other teams. (There
will be) positive or negative
pressure, but we are ready to
play this game and to try to do
better than the last game."
Conte hinted that Chelsea
have been preparing in an ef-
fort to combat the aerial threat
of West Ham's Andy Carroll.
"We are preparing different
solutions also to try to limit
the strength of our opponent,"
Eden Hazard is expected to
be fit after receiving a knock
Conte added: "He got kicked.
This week has also seen
speculation over the future of
Michy Batshuayi, the Belgium
striker signed from Marseille
Batshuayi has had limited
opportunities this season and
was linked with a loan move to
West Ham in January.
Conte - whether discussing
his own situation or that of one
of his players - prefers to focus
on the present and says Batsh-
uayi can feature more often, if
he proves his ability in training.
The Italian added: "Now
he's working very well for us.
He must continue to work and
then anything can happen."If
he shows me he deserves to
play, then I put him in."
Antonio Conte on
his Chelsea future
In this February 28 photo, Brazilian player Oscar
of Shanghai SIPG makes a gesture during an
Asian Champions League group-stage match
against Western Sydney Wanderers in Shanghai,
In this photo taken Thursday March 2, Atletico
Madrid's Fernando Torres is helped by
teammates as Deportivo La Coruna's Alex
Bergantinos, top right calls for help after they
clashed heads during their La Liga match at the
Riazor stadium in La Coruna, Spain. AP PHOTO
Links Archive March 3rd 2017 March 5th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page