Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 13th 2017 Contents news A11
Monday, March 13, 2017 guardian.co.tt
RADHICA DE SILVA
Traffic backed up along the South Trunk
Road, La Romaine yesterday as the Ministry
of Works continued restoration works on the
historic Godineau Bridge.
The bridge which allows access along the
Mosquito Creek has been in danger of collapse
However, restorative work was done, along
with a paint job in 2012. Last week, the Ministry
of Works and Transport advised that further work
will be ongoing between 8 am and 4 pm.
Even though motorists were advised to use alternative
routes through Woodland, Pluck Road, San Francique and
Siparia to get back to Oropouche through Berridge Trace, there
was still a heavy traffic pileup.
Police officers were on hand to direct the traffic flow. However,
the works angered several motorists who felt that the restorative
work was a waste of money.
One motorist Kumar Siew said, "The Government
plans to restart the San Fernando to Point Fortin high-
way soon and the South Trunk Road is likely to be
condemned when the new bridge is built. Why waste
money on that part of the road?" Siew asked.
He called on government to restart the highway
project and focus on completing the section from
Paria Suites to the Oropouche Roundabout. Mean-
while, since the project stopped in 2015 thousands
of dollars in materials have been carted away.
Several people have been charged by police for
Some contractors who were owed money by Bra-
zilian construction company, Construtora OAS.
have also seized assets and materials to recoup
outstanding funds. Others took away construc-
tion materials after they were auctioned by the
Minister in the Office of the Attorney General
and Legal Affairs, Stuart Young said the Govern-
ment had initiated legal action against Construtora
OAS since the project was now estimated to cost
taxpayers in excess of $8 billion.
He said in January that the Government, through
NIDCO, had been actively pursuing the recovery of
all standby letters of credit against various inter-
national financial institutions in the Commercial
High Court of London.
Last month, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley an-
nounced that tenders were out and construction
work will resume at the end of March/early April.
Ministry of Works employees at Godineau Bridge, La
Romaine, yesterday. PHOTO: RISHI RAGOONATH
RADHICA DE SILVA
A man escaped seri-
ous injury when his car
slammed into a telephone
post at St Johns Trace,
South Oropouche on Sat-
urday,breaking the wooden
pole in two.
Resident Anngenie Mohammed said she
was asleep when she heard a loud crash fol-
lowed by sparks.
"When I came out I saw the wires on the
ground and the broken pole was hanging,"
With the assistance of neighbours,
Mohammed tied white T-shirts
on the fallen wires to warn
Mohammed called for
speed humps to be installed
along the street, since this
was not the first time that
such an accident occurred.
Her neighbour, Rodney
Ragoonanan, said it was
common for motorists to
speed through the village.
Police said a statement will
be taken from the driver.
A report was made to
TSTT and the fallen ca-
ble wires were removed around
Investigations are contin-
robbed of car
RADHICA DE SILVA
A pensioner who believed he
was doing a good deed helping a man
in distress on Saturday was instead
robbed of his vehicle in Penal.
However, quick work by police re-
sulted in the recovery of the vehicle
which was sold to a known car
thief in Princes Town.
Police said around 3 pm on
Saturday, Gansham Mankas-
ingh, 63, of Mohess Road,
Penal received a call from a
man, he only knew as Red-
man, asking him for a lift from
GN Supermarket in Penal.
Mankasingh agreed and
he picked up the man outside
the supermarket. While driving
along Mohess Road, the pas-
senger asked Mankasingh to
test drive the car. Mankasingh
agreed and as he exited and
walked around to the pas-
senger side, the man drove
off with the car.
Mankasingh hitched a ride
and lodged a report with the
Penal police. Sgt Ramsingh
and WPC Deonath later went
to the home of a suspected
car thief who told police he
bought the car from a man in
The car was returned to the
owner. However to date, no
one was arrested or charged
for the theft.
PC Sulliman and Beethan
are continuing investigations.
Links Archive March 12th 2017 March 14th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page