Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 26th 2017 Contents world call 225-4465 Exts 2032, 2033 or email us at email@example.com
guardian.co.tt Sunday, March 26, 2017
Laptop bans on
come into effect
A ban on laptops and tablets in cabin baggage
on flights from Turkey and some countries in
the Middle East and North Africa to the US and
UK has come into effect.
Officials say devices “larger than a smartphone”
must travel in the hold because of an increased risk
that they could contain explosives.
At least one airline is allowing devices to be used
up until boarding.
The US ban covers eight countries, while the UK
restrictions apply to six.
Nine airlines from eight countries—Turkey, Moroc-
co, Jordan, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar,
Saudi Arabia and Kuwait—are affected by the US ban.
They operate about 50 flights a day to the US.
UAE airline Emirates is offering complimentary
packing and shipping services at gates to enable pas-
sengers to use their electronic devices after check-in
and until boarding.
The UK ban meanwhile affects all flights out of
Egypt, Turkey, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and
The US Department for Homeland Security has
cited attacks on planes and airports over the past two
years as the reason for the ban. (BBC)
Italy’s justice minister has said he will
investigate after a court acquitted a man of
sexually assaulting a woman because she did
The court in Turin ruled last month that the
woman saying “enough” to her colleague who
allegedly attacked her was not a strong enough
reaction to prove she had been sexually assaulted.
The alleged victim is now facing charges for
slander, reports said.
The ruling has caused outrage in the country.
“Certainly, you cannot punish the personal re-
action of a woman terrified by what is happening
to her,” said opposition MP Annagrazia Calabria.
Justice Minister Andrea Orlando has asked
ministry inspectors to begin looking into the case,
which was examining incidents that took place in
2011, Ansa news agency reported.
The alleged victim, who worked in hospitals
in Turin, said the defendant had forced her into
sexual acts and threatened to stop providing her
with work if she did not comply, the Corriere della
Sera newspaper reported (in Italian).
Asked why she had not reacted to the alleged
assault more strongly, she told the court: “Some-
times saying no is enough but maybe I did not use
the force and violence that in reality I should have
used, but that is because with people who are too
strong, I just freeze.”
The woman had been a victim of repeated abuse
as a child by her father, prosecutors said during
Acquitting the defendant, the judge said the
woman had not “betrayed the emotion that a vio-
lation of her person had to inspire in her”, described
her account as “unlikely” and said the assault “did
not exist”, Corriere della Sera said.
The defendant admitted sexual encounters with
the woman but said they had been consensual.(BBC)
Thousands of people marched
through London yesterday to protest
against Britain leaving the European
Union, just four days before Prime Min-
ister Theresa May launches the start
of the formal divorce process from the
bloc it joined 44 years ago.
The Unite for Europe march was due to
end with a rally in Parliament Square, scene
of this week’s attack by British-born Is-
lam convert Khalid Masood in which four
Marchers observed a minute’s silence in
memory of the victims at the start of the
In bright sunshine, they waved EU flags
and banners with slogans like “So what’s
the Plan” and “Stop Brexit” as they made
their way to parliament.
One banner from a marcher in Hastings
on the south coast—scene of England’s
epoch-defining defeat to William, Duke
of Normandy—read: “Hastings, in Europe
Another simply said “Happy Birthday
EU” in a reference to this weekend’s 60th
anniversary of the bloc’s founding, currently
being commemorated in Rome.
Joss Dennis was one of three coach loads
of protesters who had travelled from Bristol
in western England, which voted 62 per cent
to stay in the EU in last June’s referendum
compared with the national 52-48 per cent
vote to leave.
“With such a close vote, I don’t see how
anyone can call this the will of the people,”
she told Reuters.
“We have so much to lose: environmen-
tally, politically and financially.
“A terrible mistake has been made but
the situation is not beyond redemption,”
May has been adamant she intends to
take Britain out of the EU following the
referendum and will formally announce
the start of the two-year leaving process
Demonstrators take part in a Unite for Europe march, as they head towards Parliament
Square, in central London, Britain, yesterday. REUTERS PHOTOS
Italy sex case
‘did not scream’
in London against
leaving the EU
Links Archive March 25th 2017 March 27th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page