Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : April 3rd 2017 Contents A10 news
guardian.co.tt Monday, April 3, 2017
hits MSJ over
Construction of the Point Fortin Hospital is con-
tinuing and in about a month's time, steel works
will start and the project will provide employment
for between 300 to 400 people.
This was the assurance given by Minister of
Health Terrence Deyalsingh yesterday in re-
sponse to calls by the Movement for Social
Justice for the project to be started.
During a press conference on Saturday,
MSJ leader David Abdulah slammed the
Government over the stalled project, saying
the ruling People's National Movement had
turned it's back on it staunchest supporters
in the South West peninsula.
But yesterday, Deyalsingh described
Abdulah's comments as "unfortunate"
and queried why he would want to engage
in "that type of misinformation."
Speaking during a telephone interview, Deyalsingh
confirmed that work was continuing on the hospital and
already, 25 per cent of the construction was complete.
He added that what had been completed was the un-
derground earthworks, including the driving of piles.
"What they are currently doing is doing the back fill-
ing, capping off of the piles and preparing the ground
and infrastructure to receive steel to start erection of
the steel. That will be done within the next month."
Deyalsingh said: "It is unfortunate that Mr Abdulah
chose a Saturday morning to go to the site, when there
is no work, to give the population the impression that
work has stopped. Nothing is further from the truth,
work goes on and steel will start to touch the sky in
one month's time."
He estimated that employment on the project would
be ramped up to between 300 and 400 people and when
the hospital becomes operational the Point Fortin com-
munity can apply for other jobs which would become
The Health Ministry also sent out a release yester-
day, in which it said: "The Government of Trinidad and
Tobago notes with concern the misinformation on the
status of the Point Fortin Hospital that has been placed
in the public domain."
Stating the Government was progressing with speed
on the project, the release added, "All earthworks are
now completed and in approximately four weeks steel
works will commence."
Although the release did not list a completion date
for the project, it stated that the Government was com-
mitted to completing the hospital.
sent to chair's
office due to
The South West Regional Health Au-
thority (SWRHA) took the decision to ask
applicants for senior management posi-
tions to send their resumes directly to
the chairman of the HR committee,
who is a board member, because
some job applications had not
"been received" by the Human
Whether these applications were
lost or not were not clarified in a re-
lease sent by the SWRHA this week.
In a response to a story published
in last week's Sunday Guardian, the
SWRHA said upon assuming duty, the
current SWRHA board was made aware
that some job applicants were informed that
their applications had not been received in the
Human Resources Department, and/or persons'
applications had not been received before the ap-
"In order to obviate these allegations, a deci-
sion was made to direct all applications above the
supervisory level to the office of the chairman of
the HR Committee---in order simply to document
the date and time of the application and to ensure
that applications did not go astray. This serves
as merely a procedural step."
While the SWRHA said the applications were
being directed to the "office of the chairman" and
being seen by a secretary before being forwarded
to the HR department, the actual address on the
ministry of website directed applications to the
chairman of the committee.
In the release, the board chairman also sought
to refute any allegations of inappropriate or im-
proper practices in hiring of staff at the SWRHA,
which is one of five RHAs in Trinidad and Tobago
and is governed in accordance with the Regional
Health Authorities Act, Chapter 29:05.
The release said the SWRHA board follows the
policies and procedures which were clearly stated
in the RHA Human Resources Policy and Proce-
dures Manual. This includes the guidelines and
regulations regarding the advertising procedure,
and the subsequent short-listing and interview
process,including the composition of the relevant
The SWRHA described it as unfortunate that
the report chose to "ignore the fact that the ap-
propriate procedures were followed" and instead
"chose to focus on the fact that applicants for
jobs for executive and middle managers are asked
to submit their applications to the office of the
chairman of the Human Resources Committee."
The release said once the application deadline
had passed, all applications were passed to the HR
department, where the appropriate procedures
As of yesterday, the three positions identified in
last week's Sunday Guardian had been removed
from the Ministry of Health website, but a po-
sition advertised for a senior auditor advised
applicants to submit resumes to the chairman
of the HR Committee, and not to the office of the
chairman as indicated by the SWRHA.
Questions were sent to the Minister of Health
Terrence Deyalsingh and SWRHA chairman Dr
Alexander Sinanan but there was no response up
to publication of this article.
MSJ leader David Abdulah, centre, speaks to party
members near the site for the new Point Fortin Hospital on
Saturday. PHOTO: TONY HOWELL
Links Archive April 2nd 2017 April 4th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page