Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : April 5th 2017 Contents Bring your family...
and your picnic basket!
Walk with a chair/mat.
Queen's Par k
Guardian Media is proud to be a part
of the Movement for Non-Violence
Non-Violence Begins with Me
BEGINS WITH ME
The Love Movement
Two Cents Movement
...and many more
Argrow "Kit" Evans-Ford,
Pace e Bene Non-Violence Services
guardian.co.tt Wednesday, April 5, 2017
Judge strikes down
Four members of the Land
Survey Board of T&T will now
have to demit office after a
judge ruled that theMinister of
Agriculture, Lands and Fish-
eries acted illegally when they
were appointed them to serve
for a third consecutive term.
Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh
delivered judgment on Monday
in favour of San Fernando phar-
macist Mozam Edoo, who is not
directly affected by the outcome,
in a judicial review matter chal-
lenging the minister's decision to
reappoint the members.
The Judicial ReviewAct allows
for a person who does not have a
personal interest in a matter to
bring proceedings in the pub-
lic'sinterest if there is a perceived
illegality being committed. Edoo
was represented by attorneySunil
Boodoosingh quashed the
minister's decision in appoint-
ing and allowing four mem-
bers Sasha Adoo, Dr Charisse
Griffith-Charles, Camille For-
tune-Rollock and Fitzherbert
Reyes to be appointed and con-
tinue their tenure of office after
they had already served their
mandated two-year consecu-
tive terms, amounting to six
years, of office. Adoo, Grif-
lock and Reyes,who areamong
seven members comprising
the Board, were reappoint-
ed in May 2015 under then
minister Devant Maharaj
of the People's Partnership
However, Section 6
of the Land Surveyors
Act states that no mem-
ber shall be appointed
for more than two con-
secutive terms. Edoo,
by pre-action protocol
letter dated June 6,
2016, toMinister Clar-
ence Rambharat stat-
ed the present com-
position of the Board
was not properly con-
stituted and he called
upon him to regular-
ise the position.
Edoo received a
response from the
minister that he
had sought advice
from the Attorney
General, but re-
ceived no further
The minister was or-
dered to pay Edoo's costs.
Relatives of a 69-year-
old man who has not
been seen since he walkedout
of the casualty department
of the San Fernando General
Hospital a week ago is seeking
thepublic'shelp in finding him.
The sister of the missing man,
Martyr Houghton, 63, is worried
that something bad may have hap-
pened to her brother.
She said the Anti-Kidnapping
Squad is investigating Calvin Law-
Houghton said last Wednesday her
brother went to a grocery near their New
Colonial Road,Barrackporehome, but he
fell ill and he was taken to the hospital
by an ambulance.
She said when she left him around
9.25 pm he was being given drips in the
casualtydepartment and he was supposed
to have been admitted to Ward 10 D.
However, on Thursday around 11.30 am
when she went to visit him the medical staff
told her that when it was time to take him
to ward he could not be found.
Houghton said since then she and other
relatives have been searching for him with
"We went down by the wharf, we went by
my brother in Marabella, we went Penal, we
wentby the dump. I went by the Teaching Hos-
pital too. Everybody in Barrackpore knows him
and no one has seen him."
She said that same day she filed a missing per-
son's report at the San Fernando Police Station
and on Saturday the police took his identification
card from them to check it against two unidenti-
fied bodies at the San Fernando mortuary.
She said Lawrencehas never done anything like
this before but he did tell thepeople in the grocery
that he did not want to go to the hospital. She saidhe
hadhis cell phone with him, butthebattery needed
to be charged.
"I want to hope for the best but where could he
be. I feel something bad may have happened to
him," said Houghton.
Mentally ill man
killed by police
Another mentally ill man has been
killed, this time by officers attached
to the Point Fortin Borough Corpo-
ration, after police said he tried to
snatch a gun from one of the officers
while being treated at hospital.
According to police reports around
11am on Sunday, Raymond Joseph, 51,
an ex-soldier of Mahaica, Point Fortin
was being taken to the Point Fortin area
hospital by relatives when they stopped
to seek assistance from Municipal Po-
lice Officers attached to the Point Fortin
The officers assisted Joseph to the
hospital and while there, Joseph, a
retired regiment officer, allegedly at-
tacked the officers and tried to grab one
of their guns.
The officers responded by firing
three shots hitting Joseph. He died at
In a telephone interview with the
T&T Guardian on Monday, Point For-
tin Mayor Abdon Mason said Joseph's
death was a sad situation and expressed
condolences to the family.
Mason said he met with the officers
and they were traumatised by the
shooting. He said they had also received
counselling and are all saddened by
what took place.
Asked about the officers' use of force
policy, Mason said: "I have to meet with
the Minister of National Security (and
MP for Pt Fortin Edmund Dillon) and
Local Government Minister (Kazim
Hosein) this week and will speak to
them about the next best step to arm
the officers with non-lethal weapons.
"If we can quell a situation without
lethally inflicting someone, then that
is something we should look at."
On March 16, Paul Marchan was
killed by police who said he attacked
them with sharp objects after relatives
called for assistance.
Police said Marchan, 30, of Unity
Road, Richplain, Diego Martin had a
history of mental illness.
According to a police report, Marchan
went to a house owned by his family
along Unity Road where he began
hurling objects at the tenant and his
family. The family soon left the
house and reported the in-
cident to the West End
Police Station and
was escorted back
to the area by PCs
Emmons and Steele.
They found March-
an acting violently on
the road and when the officers
attempted to speak to him, he
doused himself with a flamma-
ble liquid and ran into his Nissan
AD Wagon. Marchan attacked
two officers who called for back
up and other officers shot him.
Marchan died undergoing
treatment at hospital.
Anyone with information about
his whereabouts are asked to
contact the San Fernando
Police Station or his relatives
at 389-4579 or 793-3165.
Links Archive April 4th 2017 April 6th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page