Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 17th 2017 Contents news A9
Wednesday, May 17, 2017 guardian.co.tt
to end by
The Maracas Bay up-
grade should be com-
pleted by the end of Au-
gust and there are now
options to eliminate the
services of one of the
Tobago cargo vessels,
says Works Minister
Sinanan gave the up-
dates during the Senate's
debate of a variation
motion. Debate which
began at 1.30 pm on
Monday ended at 2. 42
Giving updates on
matters in his ministry,
Sinanan said the Port
Board had informed him
earlier that night that
they have options for his
ministry to eliminate the
services of one of the car-
go vessels being used on the
Tobago ferry service.
Problems have been report-
ed with the adequacy of the two cargo
Sinanan, who vowed to deal with Tobago's
transport problems "once and for all," said con-
sultants have also been engaged for the proposed
fast ferry port from Toco to Tobago. Designs for
this are underway.
The Maracas Bay upgrade's cost was reduced
from $200 million under the past administration
to $60 million under the PNM Government, Si-
nanan added .
Now in train, he said, the project should be
completed at the end of August.
With the rainy season coming on, he said drain-
age projects included the Diego Martin and Mar-
aval rivers. Water course clearance and de-silting
will also be done nation-wide. Saying the "entire
East-West corridor had been neglected - we intend
to clean it up," he added.
Sinanan said the ministry is currently exam-
ining route alignment for the proposed Port-of
-Spain to Chaguaramas highway.
The Valencia to Toco highway project will also
begin in 2018. Tenders are out for this.
Tenders will also be issued by month-end for
the planned Wallerfield highway. The Moruga
highway will start in the current fiscal year. Ten-
ders will close on June 7 for the Curepe Inter-
change. Consultants have been engaged for the
Diego Martin overpass.
ordered to repay
A businessman who kept $105,000 given to
him to purchase and import a truck has been
ordered to repay the money to the customer.
Kent Raghunanan pleaded guilty to fraudulent
conversion and obtaining money by false pretenses
before Justice Malcolm Holdip in the San Fernando
First Assizes yesterday.
He was given a suspended sentencing and and
ordered to pay $35,000 of the compensation before
July 24 when he will return for sentencing and fur-
ther instructions on the timeline for the rest of the
compensation payment. He also has to pay five per
cent statutory charges from 2007.
State attorney Stacy Laloo-Chong, who was as-
sisted by Anselm Leander in the case, told the court
Narine Badal saw a classified advertisement in the
newspaper for foreign used vehicles.He visited Ra-
ghunanan's office at Caribbean Aggregate Haulers,
SS Erin Road, Penal, in January 2007 and told him he
was interested in purchasing a Nissan truck.
The accused showed him a photo of a truck and
they negotiated a price of $260,000.
Raghunanan asked for a downpayment of half the
money and Badal went to his credit union, got a loan
for $100,000 and in April 2007 gave a cheque to the
accused. Raghunanan told him the truck would be
delivered in two months.
However, Raghunanan then deposited the cheque in
his personal account and when Badal contacted him
two months later, he told him there was a problem
with the vessel the truck was on and he would have
to wait an additional two months.
Badal went to Raghunanan's office in August 2007
and was shown a truck which Raghunanan said was
his own. He asked for the truck to be painted blue and
Raghunanan asked for a further $5,000 which he paid.
Badal again met the accused in September, but
subsequent calls to his phone went unanswered.
In January 2008 Badal made a report to the Fraud
Squad and officer Deodath Seepersad conducted
inquires, then arrested and charged the accused.
Raghunanan was represented by attorney Rekha
RADHICA DE SILVA
While parts of the Central Block
of the Port-of-Spain General Hos-
pital continue to crumble, structur-
al engineering experts are warning
that further investigations must be
done before any decision is made
to demolish or retrofit the colonial
The calls came as Health Minister
Terrence Deyalsingh announced he has
already prepared a comprehensive note
to take to Cabinet recommending a total
retrofitting of the old colonial building.
But in an interview yesterday, con-
sulting engineer and Secretary General
of the Council of Caribbean Engineering
Organisations, Tony Gibbs, described
the crumbling hospital building as
Gibbs, who was involved in a report
conducted by the Pan American Health
Organisation (PAHO) in 2009, identi-
fied the Central Block as the most at
risk for a disaster, specifically an earth-
"My knowledge of the Central Block
comes from inspections in May and
August of 2009. The May inspection
was part of a training workshop which
I facilitated and the August inspection
was a formal assessment in accordance
with the PAHO Hospital Safety Index.
It is obvious that the Central Block at
PoS General hospital is a dangerous
structure which is likely to collapse if
the design earthquake were to impact
at that site," he said.
Noting unfavourable features of the
building, Gibbs said the reinforced con-
crete column and beam sizes were too
small to resist design earthquake forces.
He also said the structure showed evi-
dence of deterioration.
Saying detailed analysis is an im-
portant tool in structural engineering,
Gibbs noted that "in obvious situations,
such as the Central Block, an unfavour-
able answer is known before the detailed
But in an interview yesterday, Dey-
alsingh said he has consulted with a
range of reports and had already pre-
pared a note to take to Cabinet.
"You are being misled. I have already
read all the reports. The note is ready
and going to Cabinet. It is a compre-
hensive analysis of all the reports done
including the one by PAHO. This is a
Cabinet matter and I cannot divulge
any further details, " Deyalsingh said.
reports on PoS hospital
Links Archive May 16th 2017 May 18th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page