Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 20th 2017 Contents A12 news
guardian.co.tt Saturday, May 20, 2017
A woman who said her daughter,
a Form One pupil of the Cedros
Composite School, was beat-
en unconscious with a chair by
another student, is appealing
to Education Minister Anthony
Garcia to get her child trans-
ferred to another school.
Margaret Theodore claims her
12-year-old daughter has been a
victim of bullying ever since she en-
tered the school last September. How-
ever, the situation escalated on Tuesday
during the lunch break.
"This girl, who is also in Form One,
beat my daughter with chairs in one of
the classrooms on Tuesday," Theodore
"Before the girl approached her
physically, she was making all kind of
remarks about my daughter and my
daughter was reporting it to the form
teacher and the principal but nothing
was being done.
"I am appealing to Mr Garcia to help
us get my child out of there before
things escalate even more."
Theodore said earlier this year her
daughter was bullied by another girl
and the two had a scuffle on the
school's compound which resulted
in both of them being suspended.
She said following the latest
incident her daughter was taken
for treatment at the Cedros Health
Centre and transferred to the Point
Theodore said she is awaiting
the results of the tests done at the
hospital because she decides on
her next step.
"I asked to have her transferred
out of the school and the principal
is telling me we have to wait until the
end of the school term before anything
can be done," she said.
Cedros mom to
RADHICA DE SILVA
Two Venezuelan ferries docked at the Port of Cedros on
Wednesday with several Trinidadians on board who had been
stranded in Venezuela for the past 20 days due to problems
with the shipping agent for the vessels.
The first ferry, Angel Del Orinoco, arrived at around 12 noon
with 34 passengers, including four Trinidadians.
Among the returning nationals were Nelania Quijada and her
daughter Isquel who had spent three weeks in Venezuela waiting
for a ferry to return home.
Quijada, was was using walking stick and neck brace, told the
T&T Guardian she is a cancer patient and had gone to Venezuela
for her annual medical check up. She said she never expected she
would be forced to stay so long in Venezuela because of transpor-
She and her daugher ehecked into a hotel in Tucupita on Sunday,
hoping to finally get the opportunity to return home. They spent
four days in Caracas and several in Tucupita and had to spend an
additional US$500 for food and accommodation, The mother and
daughter were finally able to board the ferry Angel Del Orinoco.
Isquel said she was upset that National Security Minister Edmund
Dillon had said port operations at Cedros were running smoothly.
"I don't know how he can say this. The ferry has been turned
back several times over the past few weeks and Venezuelans are
staying here illegally because they cannot go home and Trini-
dadians are still stranded in Venezuela," she said.
Anthony Ragbar said he was happy to be home after spending
20 days in Venezuela.
At around 1:30 pm, a smaller ferry, Victor Matas, docked at Cedros
but its passengers were not immediately cleared. They spent more
than 15 minutes on the jetty before they were allowed to enter the
port facility and some were kept for several hours at the facility
Waiting relatives and friends, frustrated at the delay, marched
to the Customs Division demanding an explanation. However, up
to late evening some passengers were still waiting to be cleared.
Cedros councillor Shankar Teelucksingh said operations at the port
were shut down for an hour.
"I spoke with ABC Brokerage and they said they are having dis-
cussions with the immigration officers regarding some additional
provisions to be made. I don't know how long it will take but what
the people here are going through is inhumane. Why are our Ven-
ezuelan people being penalised. It is unfair," he said.
Joey Balgobin, who was waiting for some Venezuelan visitors,
said passengers told have $3,000 and US$200 in hand to be cleared.
"I want to know what is really going on here because I have never
seen this kind of irregularity in any other place where I have trav-
elled," he said.
Chief Immigration Officer Charmaine Gandhi-Andrews said she
was not aware of anyone being denied entry at the Cedros port.
"We have immigration officers present 24/7. Once people are
in compliance with the Immigration Act they are allowed entry,"
Dillon said there was a problem with the shipping agent and some
of the Venezuelans who arrived on the ferries,.
"It is up to the shipping agent to return them to Venezuela. My
information is that the port is open and functioning and the ferries
come twice a week. If people are stranded I do not know," he said.
Ferries from V'zuela
dock at Cedros
Mini mart murder
accused in court
A 24-year-old Morvant labour-
er who was allegedly caught and
beaten by angry villagers has ap-
peared in court for the murder of
an Arouca mini mart owner.
Keron James, of Never Dirty, was
originally due to attend court Wednes-
day but had to return to hospital for
his medical certificate before he could
appear before the magistrate. The Min-
istry of Works employee eventually
appeared before Senior Magistrate
Gillian Scotland in the Arima Magis-
trates Court charged with possession of
a gun and ammunition and the murder
of L'Lron Alexander.
Alexander, of Back Street, Arouca,
was fatally shot at his LA Mini Mart
on the Eastern Main Road, Arouca,
around 11.30 pm on May 9.
James was pointed out in an identifi-
cation parade on Tuesday, hours before
officers were given the go ahead by the
office of the Director of Public Prose-
cutions to charge him with the murder.
The case was adjourned to June 14.
Passengers of the Angel Del Orinoco arrive at the Cedros Port
from Venezuela, yesterday PHOTO: KRISTIAN DE SILVA
Links Archive May 19th 2017 May 21st 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page