Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 24th 2017 Contents A46 sports
guardian.co.tt Wednesday, May 24, 2017
ASATT receives million dollar CCCAN boost
The Amateur Swimming
Association of T&T (ASATT)
has been given a one mil-
lion dollar incentive by the
Ministry of Sport and Youth
Affairs and the Sports Com-
pany of T&T (SporTT) as the
local body for aquatics pre-
pares to host the CCCAN
(Central American and
Caribbean Swimming Fed-
eration) Championships at
the end of June.
ASATT was successful in
bringing the largest aquatics
event in the hemisphere to the
National Aquatic Center in Cou-
va, having been given the green
light by SporTT to bid for the
meet. At a press conference yes-
terday at the Ministry of Sports
office on Elizabeth Street in St
Clair, Minister of Sport and
Youth Affairs Darryl Smith was
delighted to offer the financial
support and implored corporate
T&T to do the same.
Minister Smith said, "I assure
corporate sponsors that they will
get bang for their buck if they
choose to invest in the tourna-
ment. With over 1500 visitors
expected, plus local spectators
and viewing audiences across
the region, there are unlimited
opportunities to promote your
product or service.
"I also have full confidence in
ASATT to deliver on the promise
of an efficient and exciting tour-
nament in all four disciplines -
swimming, diving, water polo
and synchronised swimming."
Team T&T will have some 60
athletes and is expected to grow
as ASATT hosts its National
Open Long Course Champi-
onships which is the last qual-
ifier for the local team for the
CCCAN Swimming Champi-
According to ASATT presi-
dent Wendell Lai Hing, the tal-
ent pool is extensive and in stat-
ing his desire to put on a succes-
ful event said, "We are excited at
the prospect of hosting CCCAN
and making it a truly national
event of which every citizen can
be proud. The national team will
represent in three of the four
disciplines (swimming, diving
and water polo) and we expect
to be competitive.
"We will have two divers for
the first time and we thank
SporTT for facilitating the ath-
letes in all disciplines to train at
the Aquatic Centre, familiarise
themselves with the space and
ensure we have a 'home court'
The CCCAN Championships
run from June 24 to July 2.
All events take place at the
National Aquatic Centre with
the exception of the Open Wa-
ter Swimming event on June
24 and June 26, which will be
held at Turtle Beach, Tobago,
in partnership with the Toba-
go House of Assembly (THA)
and the Tourism Development
Gov't offers US$1M for CPL finals
There could be a decision
by the end of the week, on
whether or not this country
will be hosting the Caribbean
Premier League (CPL) finals
as Minister of Sport Darryl
Smith is scheduled to meet
with CPL officials today.
It is thought that the CPL had
originally labeled the rights to
hosting the semifinals and final
of the event with an US$800,000
dollar price tag but speaking to
Guardian Media Sports yester-
day, Smith indicated that T&T's
final offer to host the event is one
million US dollars but would like
to make payment in local cur-
Smith said that he would like
to have an answer to take to
cabinet as early as this week's
meeting explaining, "I am
meeting with them tomorrow
(Wednesday). We have an offer
on the table and we will see what
the discussions bring. Because
of the foreign exchange issues
that we have, we would pay the
bills and so on in TT dollars but
that is the best that we can do at
this time and hopefully we could
make an announcement finally
whether its yay or nay so that I
can go back to the cabinet and
get that approval."
T&T last hosted the CPL fi-
nals in 2015 and it is understood
that the then government paid
US3.5M while the government
refused to pay the US4.5M asking
price for the last year's edition.
Yesterday the Minister also spoke
on the Udecott investigation into
the Brian Lara Academy misuse.
"It's sad. I let Udecott conduct
its investigations before I spoke
on it. But some people are show-
ing that they are not patriots of
T&T by the sabotage that we've
"You could clearly see that
there is somebody in T&T or a
group of people that have been
and continue to be against the
opening of the Brian Lara Acad-
emy," he said. "Whoever is doing
it, please stop!"
Garcia: Mindless terrorism
at Brian Lara Academy
Mindless terrorism and sabotage.
That's how chairman of the Urban Devel-
opment Corporation of T&T (Udecott) Noel
Garcia described Saturday's leaking sewer
system and Monday's water leak in the locker
room area of the Brian Lara Cricket Academy
In light of the
sabotage at the
venue, Garcia said
Udecott is now
forced to spend
thousands of tax-
payers' dollars to
ensure the incident
does not re-occur.
The leaking sew-
er was triggered by
towel and t-shirts
down the toilets,
while a tap had
been purposely left on which led to the locker
room being flooded out.
Yesterday, Garcia said the he had instructed
Udecott that sanitary bins be provided in the
female toilets to proper disposal.
He has also asked that security, mobile pa-
trols and armed officers be increased forthwith.
"Once there are no games in the stadium
everyone entering and leaving the stadium will
be registered in the security's log. Also addi-
tional security cameras have been installed and
before and after every cricket match a plumber's
snake would be used to ensure that the lines
leading to the toilet are not choked," Garcia
said, in outlining some of the new measures
that Udecott had implemented.
A snake is a cable-like device that you nav-
igate through the toilet hole to help loosen up
"We are in the process of procuring these
things....the sanitary bins and even signs in-
forming users of the toilets that only toilet
paper is to be flushed in the bowl."
Asked what would be the cost attached for
these measures, Garcia was unable to say.
"But it would be a huge sum simply to prevent
misguided individuals from doing damage to a
facility that is serving the national community.
You know what is also ironic the people who
are leading the charge, it is their community
who is benefiting the most."
He said what took place between Saturday
and Monday was "Madness. It reminds me
almost like mindless terrorism. We hope that
that would bring an end to the sabotage because
the cameras picked up everything."
Garcia said on Monday a tap was "left on
deliberately" by someone which flooded the
locker room area.
"Coincidentally minutes after the tap was left
on the Guardian newspaper was notified. I am
now asking for an investigation. That sounds
to me like sabotage.
"Somebody stage managed an incident and
called the newspaper shortly thereafter. What
worries me is why are people so intent that
the stadium should not be opened? There are
people and individuals who are hell bent on
destroying the name of this stadium.
"Clearly the aim was to create a hysteria. The
aim, as misguided and foolish as it sounds is
to host the closure of the stadium."
Garcia said Udecott was reviewing the se-
curity tape of Monday's incident.
If they can identify anyone on the tape, Gar-
cia said they would deem it to be a criminal
matter and hand it over to the police.
So far, Garcia said the facility has staged over
ICC to review security in wake of Manchester bombing
The ICC has reiterated its
commitment to safety and
security at the forthcom-
ing Champions Trophy and
Women's World Cup, in the
wake of the terrorist attack
that killed at least 22 people
and injured several more
in Manchester on Monday
The incident, which police
believe to have been a suicide
bombing, took place at around
10.30pm towards the end of a
concert by the US singer Aria-
na Grande and constitutes the
worst terrorist atrocity in the UK
since the attacks on the London
Underground in July 2005.
The Champions Trophy,
which gets underway on June 1,
will be taking place at The Oval,
Edgbaston and Cardiff's Swalec
Stadium, while the Women's
World Cup commences on June
24 at venues in Derby, Leicester,
Bristol and Taunton before the
final at Lord's on July 23.
"Our thoughts are with every-
one affected by the horrific at-
tack in Manchester," said the
ICC in a press release.
"The ICC and ECB place
safety and security at the ICC
Champions Trophy and ICC
Women's World Cup this sum-
mer as the highest priority."
"We operate on advice from
our Tournament Security Direc-
torate--- in conjunction with the
ECB and relevant authorities -
to ensure that we have a robust
safety and security plan for both
tournaments. We will continue
to work with authorities over the
coming hours and days and re-
view our security in line with the
"The security situation has
been very much front and centre
of our preparations and we con-
stantly review our procedures to
guarantee they are as effective as
possible to keep everyone safe.
"We do not disclose our secu-
rity details as a matter of policy."
"Our thoughts and condo-
lences are with everyone who
has been affected by this ap-
palling atrocity," said Steve
Elworthy, the ICC tournament
"The security plan and plan-
ning process has been developed
in line with, and reflects, the
current threat level within the
UK. We will be assessing and
reviewing that security plan
all the time.
"We've continually worked
with the venues to help develop
our plan," he added.
"The readiness testing has
been completed, so we are up
to speed with all of that. The
ICC, through David Richard-
son [CEO] and ourselves have
been in contact with all of the
members and are in continual
communication with them over
the last 12 hours, and will con-
tinue to be in contact until the
tournament kicks off."
ASATT president Wendell Lai Hing, left, is presented with a mock cheque by Minister of Sports Darryl
Smith, centre, and SporTT CEO Adam Montserin at a press conference to launch the CCCAN
Championships, yesterday at the Ministry of Sports office on Elizabeth Street in St Clair.
Links Archive May 23rd 2017 May 25th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page