Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 9th 2017 Contents He said the Ministry of Social Devel-
opment wanted to use it as a pilot project
for the country.
Hosein noted that if the facility became
operational, people will no longer have to
feed the homeless on the streets.
Regrello also shared Hosein's sen-
timents saying the Board must explain
why the project had stalled. He said he has
been asking for a meeting for the past few
months but was told on several occasions
that the Board had no time to meet.
Beepath could not be reached for com-
ment but Mungal-Bissessar said the facili-
ty has been opened to the homeless people
on a temporary basis.
"Every two or three weeks we have the
homeless come in and shower and brush
their teeth. They get a hot meal and they
come back, shaved and they even get a
haircut and they get to use the toilet. They
have breakfast," she explained.
Saying the centre could not be opened
full time as the committee needed funds,
Mungal-Bissessar said the facility was
meant to be an assessment centre where
the homeless can spend a night.
However, several homeless people said
they did not know the centre was even op-
erational as it was always closed. Thomas
Mc Kenzie, 62, who has been living on the
streets fort several decades, said he was
grateful for the centre.
He said many of the homeless people
did not get proper meals and they needed
a place to take a shower.
Friday, June 9, 2017 guardian.co.tt
17 face charges for 51
money laundering offences
JENSEN LA VENDE
Since the establishment of the Fi-
nancial Investigations Branch of the
Police Service in 2011, police say they
have been increasing their number of
reports of terrorism financing.
Speaking at the weekly police media
briefing on Wednesday, ASP Wendell
Lucas said with the increasing obligation
by the country to adhere to international
agreements relating to countering terror-
ism, there have been an increased in the
number of reports. Lucas added that the
Financial Intelligence Unit works closely
with the FIB in combating this. Lucas said
the unit's staff has increased from 29 t0 45
to facilitate the increased investigations.
Asked if the unit was monitoring several
people recently deported from Turkey, a
country used as guise for Isis recruits to
join the terrorist organisation, Lucas said
that is not within the remit of the unit but
added that Special Branch officers are in-
vestigating the deported citizens.
Lucas said some 17 people are currently
before the courts for 51 money laundering
charges totalling $14,382,981.56 and US
$40,600, Lucas explained that following
the completion of the court cases there
will be an application for forfeiture of the
monies depending on if the State wins.
"In relation to the Investigations of
Terrorist Financing, while there has been
no prosecution in relation to terrorist fi-
nancing, the FIB continues to work in
conjunction with our partners to further
investigations in relation to these matters"
He added that regarding the pro-
ceeds of crime, the FIB last year seized
US $882,939 and $5,453,998 under the
Proceeds of Crime Act, while US $17,750
and $258,702.54 have been forfeited. Lucas
explained that once a person has within
their possession a sum of cash that they
can't account for then the money will be
seized. The unit will then apply to the
court to forfeit the money, even without
any charges being laid against the person.
He added that there are currently several
other matters, for forfeiture. Under the
proceeds of crime, this year, the unit have
seized $991,044 and US $6,516.00 and
have made three forfeiture applications
to forfeit $24,415 and US $148,022.
Asked how many cases of proceeds of
crime engaging the unit, Lucas said he
would not say, He added that the unit have
noticed certain trends in the way culprits
seek to disguise their illegal earnings, but
will not disclose it. He added that sugges-
tions that private members club facilitate
money laundering, will engage the FIU
which, once there is sufficient informa-
tion, will pass it on to the FIB to investigate.
Minister gets tough on stalled Sando projects as...
$2.2m soup kitchen yet to open
RADHICA DE SILVA
After raising$2.2 million in do-
nations to set up a soup kitchen
for the homeless people of San
Fernando, former mayor and
Minister of Local and Rural De-
velopment Kazim Hosein has ex-
pressed disappointment that the
facility has never been opened.
The establishment of the Centre
for Socially Displaced People was one
of several projects which Hosein in-
itiated as Mayor but which never got
off the ground after he left office. In
an interview, Hosein said he has been
asking since January about why the
centre was never commissioned for
the 56 homeless people who live on
the streets of San Fernando.
Agreeing that Harris Promenade
was becoming a haven for the home-
less, Hosein said after six months of
waiting for answers, he has decided
"I want the Board to explain why
this project still cannot get off the
ground even though people have
invested their time, money and la-
bour to this project," Hosein added.
" It fell under the Social Develop-
ment committee headed by chairman
of the committee Terrence Beepath
and deputy mayor Vidya Mun-
"She had the responsibility to
get the place together, she met with
Revival Time Assembly and signed
a Memorandum of Understanding.
We were committed to doing all the
repairs to bring it to a standard and
the intention was to have a home-
less centre for displaced persons,"
He added that business people
from the city agreed to contribute
towards providing three meals for
the homeless people.
"They would get a place to show-
er, brush their teeth and eat. People
who wanted to feed the homeless
can come to the facility to contribute
food," Hosein said.
He added that the Rotary Club of
San Fernando contributed stainless
steel stove, refrigerator, freezer and
volunteers contractors repaired the
roof, changed the electricals and
"Out of the mayor's fund we used
$250,000 to do the final completion
work. In all everything we raised over
$2.2 million in voluntary donations
to set up this facility. Everyone who
came on board did it to help the
They were happy and enthusi-
astic about this project. After the
building was completed, the Board
was formed and I have been enquir-
ing since January why the Board is
not opening the facility. I have been
pleading with them sinceJanuary and
the mayor Junia Regrello could testify
why it is not opening," Hosein added.
Minister of Local Government and former Mayor of San Fernando Kazim Hosein,
left, and San Fernando Mayor Junia Regrello stand outside the Centre for Socially
Displaced People at Kings Wharf, San Fernando, during a visit yesterday. PHOTO:
KRISTIAN DE SILVA
Links Archive June 8th 2017 June 10th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page