Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 22nd 2017 Contents tobagotoday.co.tt June 21 - 2017
Ferry Woes Affect Dragon Boat Festival
The annual Tobago Dragon Boat
Festival at the Pigeon Point Heritage
Park last weekend was a victim of
the ongoing inter-island ferry cri-
sis.During the official opening cere-
mony, president of the Pan Amer-
ican Dragon Boat Federation Franco
SuChong said several teams could
not attend what is considered the
island's leading sport tourism due
to the issues on the sea bridge.
"It's a pity the ferry service could
not be resolved because this team
could have been so much more.
There are about eight teams that
could not make it because of the
ferry situation -- they could not get
tickets to go back," Su Chong said.
But Su Chong thanked the Toba-
go House of Assembly for making
a worthy investment when they
purchased three Dragon Boats six
years ago. He said because of this
the island now has three elite Drag-
on Boat teams in Tobago. Those
teams, he said, can rival all the Trin-
idad teams as the Trinidad teams
know they have stiff competition
when they come to Tobago.
According the Su Chong, the 2019
the Pan American Dragon Boat
Championships will be held here in
Tobago. However, due to the island's
rough and choppy water conditions
there's going to be an event twist
called extreme dragon boating, which
will be the only one of its kind.
The team event was won by
Oceanus, who beat out Aquaforce
and DOTCT into second and third
Team Aquaforce in action during the event.
Team DOTCT during the race.
Team Aquaforce celebrates with their second place trophy and prizes.
Stars unlikely to play again
Sammy slams CWI over decline
LONDON -- Two-time Twenty20
World Cup-winning captain Dar-
ren Dammy has blasted Cricket
West Indies for the continued
decline of the international side,
and has painted a bleak future for
the team once the Dave Camer-
on-led administration remains in
In a sharp critique of the state
of West Indies cricket, the
all-rounder told the Tuffers and
Vaughan Show that he could not
envision an immediate turnaround
for West Indies, especially since
none of the leading players was
ever likely to represent the region
again because of CWI's policies.
"I am very scared (for the future
of West Indies cricket). For a team
that has dominated cricket for 17
years during the period in the 80s
and the early 90s, to be in that
position right now," Sammy said.
"I am scared that we might be
relegated to the (league of the) Ire-
lands and Scotlands, playing against
these guys which is very, very sad
-- if something doesn't change and
at the moment, the guy has just
been re-elected for another term.
I can't see it happening. It's very
sad for us."
West Indies once dominated
world cricket but have languished
in the nether regions of the ICC
Test rankings for years now and are
currently eighth, only above Ban-
gladesh and Zimbabwe.
Two-time former 50-over World
Cup champions, the Windies are
now ranked ninth, a position which
resulted in their omission from the
just concluded Champions Trophy
And despite winning the T20
World Cup last year in India under
Sammy, the Caribbean side have
since won just five of their last 12
matches to slip to fifth in the rank-
"The rankings will show you, even
in all three formats. We've managed
to even go down in T20 as well.
It's sad talking about it," the St
"Look at the Champions Trophy,
we weren't even there and we have
to play against the likes of Afghan-
istan -- no disrepect -- and Zimba-
bwe, and Bangladesh have leap-
frogged us. It's a sad state in our
cricket right now."
West Indies cricket has found
itself crippled by CWI's insistence
on the controversial eligibility rule,
which has resulted in marquee play-
ers being side-lined. In order to
represent the Windies in a format,
players need to make themselves
available to play in the requisite
However, many of the leading
Windies players ply their trade in
the respective global T20 leagues,
and have often opted to forego
domestic commitments in favour
of more lucrative contracts.
Sammy contended CWI needed
to make adjustments to their pol-
icies in order to ensure the best
players were available for selection
but said they seemed not to under-
stand what was in the best interests
of West Indies cricket.
"With the current administration
I don't see (the top players playing
again). You look at the likes of
(Kieron) Pollard, (Dwayne) Bravo,
(Chis) Gayle, (Andre) Russell -- who
is on ban -- myself, Marlon Sam-
uels now, Lendl Simmons, these
are quality players," Sammy point-
He added: "Personally I have not
played since the World Cup. We
know they all try and say it's
because of my place as a cricketer
but we all know -- the world knows
-- it's because of what I said after
winning the World Cup and that
has been the problem with the
administrators of the WICB.
"I think as a leader and as a play-
er, I still have a lot to offer, espe-
cially in the limited overs format.
At the moment we have guys in
administration who don't really have
West Indies cricket at heart and if
you really have West Indies crick-
et at heart, you'll have the right
players for all the formats.
"These are talented cricketers.
We can't afford not to have them
in West Indies cricket."
The 33-year-old Sammy played
38 Tests, 126 ODIs and 66 T20
Internationals, and led West Indies
to T20 World Cup titles in 2012
He argued that both players and
CWI needed to dialogue on the way
forward in order to lead West Indies
out of their present predicament.
"I am not blaming the adminis-
tration (entirely) because ... we have
some players who have some big
egos as well but there must be a
way for the players and the admin-
istration to get together and focus
on West Indies cricket which is
supposed to be the most important
thing," he said.
"At the moment I don't see that
Links Archive June 21st 2017 June 23rd 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page