Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 24th 2017 Contents A4 news
guardian.co.tt Saturday, June 24, 2017
Murder accused goes
to court in wheelchair
Sixty-year-old murder ac-
cused Jasodra Jagmohan was
wheeled into the San Fernando
High Court yesterday, where she
is on trial for allegedlykilling her
The Penal woman is on trial be-
fore Justice Althea Alexis-Wind-
sorcharged with the June 2007 mur-
der of her husbandJagindranan Jag-
mohan, 57, also known as Rex, who
Jagmohan was transported on a
stretcher from the Women's Pris-
on in a prison van. Upon her arrival
and departure from the court, the
stretcher was converted into the
She is charged with murdering her
husbandsometime between June 22,
2007 and June 26, 2007, at Clarke
Road, Penal. Upon her arraign-
ment on Thursday she pleaded not
guilty. However, attorney Ramesh
Lawrence Maharaj, SC, who hasa fiat
to prosecute the case, did not lead
any evidence before the 12-mem-
ber jury and alternates. Instead, the
jury was asked to return on July 3
to allow the court to dealwith legal
issues in their absence. Jagmohan
is being represented by attorneys
Prakash Ramadhar and Michael
More woes for Tabaquite farmers
Tabaquite farmers Chadwick
Ramlal and his brother Fedlis
had added stress yesterday, after
thieves struck and stole about 400
pounds of cabbage from their gar-
den at the Navet Dam Access Road.
The brothers were already count-
ing their losses, which ran close to a
million dollars, when acres of cabbage
and tomato crops were destroyed by
flood waters on Tuesday in the after-
math of Tropical Storm Bret.
Ramlal told the T&T Guardian yes-
terday that he went to his garden at
about 6 am only to discover his gar-
den boots missing from the place he
had left it. That's when he thought to
himself that something was not right.
"I say no I left my boots right here.
When I do go in my garden and check
I see that all my cabbages gone and
they use my own garden boots to go
in and reap it," Ramlal said.
"This is so distressing, I already lost
so much already and now this? These
people have no heart."
Ramlal, however, noted that the
majority of cabbages, "if not all,"
would not even be healthy for sale,
noting he believes that the produce
was stolen to sell on the wholesale
"With how the flood waters come
and cover down the garden the cab-
bage would have collected mud inside
of it and that is not good. It may be
sold in the market, so people need to
be careful and look out," he added.
His brother Fedlis said in his 35
years of farming it was the first time
that they had been robbed of produce.
"That never happen here and you
could say it's a lifetime I doing gar-
dening. This real sad. People don't
know what they does do."
Ramlal said he notified police of-
ficers at the Brasso Police Station.
An officer, who wished not to be
identified, later told the T&T Guardi-
an they had already received informa-
tion that may lead to an arrest.
Millions in losses
Meanwhile, one of Central's largest
cucumber farmers, Timothy Baptiste,
25, said his entire cucumber and
sweet pepper crops were destroyed.
As he raised the dead vines in the air,
Baptiste showed the devastation.
"I lost about $80,000 in vegetables
and may need about $20,000 to start
Tabac Road farmer Martin Badal
said where his garden was there are
about 49 other farmers and altogeth-
er they had estimated their losses to
be at $.5 million. He said the farm-
ers lost crops such as hot peppers,
sweet peppers, pimentos, tomatoes,
cucumbers, pole beans, caraille, chive
"It's the fist time in 20 years we
have seen flooding like this here. We
all sell wholesale to mainly the Ma-
coya market, Chaguanas and Port-of-
Spain. We have been hit very hard,"
On Wednesday, Agricultural Min-
ister Clarence Rambharat met with
the distressed farmers, where he
outlined what needed to be done in
order for them to get compensation.
The farmers said that whilst they
hope for the speedy handout of com-
pensation packages, they are bracing
for more flooding due to the heavy
showers experienced yesterday and
feared that if they should be flooded
again they "will lose more."
"At least the compensation may
not be the value of our produced
lost, but it will help us start over but
what happens in the event he are hit
again? Then we will lose everything,"
Man seeks help to
rebuild after Bret
Seeram Tokhai, 71, is still wait-
ing for help to reconstruct his
home in the wake of the passage
of Tropical Storm Bret.
When the T&T Guardian visited
him on Thursday, Tokhai was sitting
in front of rubble, consisting of wood
and galvanize, that was once his home
Up to yesterday, no help had come
so he could clear the rubble that had
also fallen partly on an access road.
On Wednesday night, officials
from the Couva/Tabaquite/Talparo
Regional Corporation visited Tokhai
and promised they would check him
the following day (Thursday). But up
to last night, Tokhai said no further
contact had been made.
Tokhai was living in the house with
his son, Tiwari, 37. The house is locat-
ed at Ramlal Trace, Chickland Village.
"When we heard the storm com-
relatives and when we came back we
saw the entire house fallen and the
roof gone," Tiwari said.
"I believe it blow away. It look like
this happen about 1 am on Tuesday
when the hard breeze started and the
house is located on a hill. Luckily no
one was there at the time."
He said the house has been sitting
on the four acres of land for the past
"It is very frustrating for us because
we have our garden here too, we plant
eddoes and cassava. Our crops good
but the house just in rubble now. We
just want help to clear out and start
back rebuilding, like wood and gal-
Anyone willing to help Tokhai can
contact him at 338-7821.
Freeport resident Seeram Tokhai surveys his home, which was destroyed
during the passage of Tropical Storm Bret.
Farmer Fedlis Ramlal removes debris covering part of his cabbage field yesterday. His entire crop was destroyed
during the passage of Tropical Storm Bret on Monday. PHOTO: RISHI RAGOONATH
Jassodra Jagmohan is wheeled
from the San Fernando High Court,
where she is on trial charged with
murdering her husband
Jagindranan Jagmohan in June
2007. PHOTO: SASCHA WILSON
Farmer Timothy Baptiste shows his cucumbers which were destroyed.
PHOTO: RISHI RAGOONATH
Links Archive June 23rd 2017 June 25th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page