Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 29th 2017 Contents A21
June 28 - 2017
Vel City take title
Vel City emerged champions of the seventh
annual Buccoo Ball Park League last Saturday at
the Buccoo Integrated facility carpark.
Playing against Strikers of Whim in the cham-
pionship match, Shirlan Carrington's lone item was
the difference between the teams.
For their efforts, Vel City walked away with the
$5,000 prize while Strikers collected $3000.
Earlier in the semi-finals, Vel City defeated Brigth-
er Day FC 1-0 and Strikers beat Tobago Fresh 2-0.
In the third place playoff, Tobago Fresh edged
Brighter Day 2-1.
• Knockout champion – Strikers
• Most goals - Sherwin Cox (Lucky's Grill Utd)
and Miguel George (Bliss Utd) - 10 goals.
• MVP - Keon Boucher - Strikers
• League Champs - Vel City
• Runners-up - Strikers
• Third Place - Tobago Fresh
Keon Boucher of Strikers tries to hold off two players from Vel City in the finals of
the seventh annual Buccoo Ball Park League last Saturday at the carpark of the
Buccoo Integrated facility.
MVP of the Buccoo Ball Park League Keon Boucher receiving his trophy from
Champions of the finals of the seventh annual Buccoo Ball Park League Vel City receiving their trophy from
area representative Ancil Dennis.
Buccoo Ball Park League
Bravo lawyers slam CWI CEO over comment
BRIDGETOWN -- Lawyers for
estranged Test batsman Darren
Bravo believe a resolution between
the player and Cricket West Indies
could have already been reached
were it not for ill-advised state-
ments made by new CWI chief
executive Johnny Grave.
Donna Symmonds and Leslie
Haynes QC said "significant pro-
gress" had been made in negoti-
ations with CWI over the impasse
and they believed an agreement
was close to being hammered out.
However, instead of responding
to a proposal on the one sticking
point remaining, Englishman Grave
gave an interview to noted crick-
et website, Cricinfo, which both
lawyers argued scuppered any
chance of a resolution then.
"We had embarked on a process
and as far as we were concerned,
we thought that the process was
working and going very well,"
Symmonds told Massy Insurance's
Line and Length Network.
“We had initial consultations on
the article date of the contract
between Darren and (Cricket West
Indies) regarding the Zimbabwe
2016 tour, and we had made sig-
nificant progress, we thought.
"Then... an offer was made by
the incoming CEO and it seemed
again that we were right on the
path of coming to some agreement.
We had looked at drafts ... I think
everyone is very aware that it was
agreed that certain statements
would be made by the president
and certain statements by Darren."
She continued: “We had agreed
the draft of the texts, all sort of
things and with regard to the
tweet, Darren had agreed to do
certain things as well.
“But the sticking point was one
other matter and we had made a
suggestion as to how that could
be resolved and we've had no
Haynes added: “Instead we had
a statement being made to Cricin-
fo, a statement made by the pres-
ent CEO Mr Johnny Grave, which
was in our view incorrect and
which set things back.
“Quite frankly, we were shocked
when we read it because we were
in the middle of negotiations, there
was only one issue remaining and
here it is Mr Grave is going to give
an interview to Cricinfo which in
our view set things back.”
Left-hander Bravo was sent
home ahead of the Tri-Nations
Series in Zimbabwe last November
after labelling CWI president Dave
Cameron "a big idiot" in a Twit-
The Trinidadian has since been
barred from selection until he
removes the tweet and apologises,
neither of which he has done to
In an April interview, Grave said
Bravo's decision to seek damages
from CWI for loss of earnings had
frustrated CWI's attempts to seek
a resolution to the impasse as they
had been under the impression an
agreement had been reached.
“I thought everything was
agreed with his legal advisors,"
Grave was quoted as saying.
“We didn't want this to play out
publicly but yes, it is true, his
attorney is asking for damages and
West Indies supporters deserve an
explanation as to why he is not
in the squad in Jamaica (for the
first Test against Pakistan).”
Haynes also criticised public
utterances on the matter from
Cameron, who as recently as last
week said Bravo would remain
barred from selection unless the
offending tweet was removed.
"We have not spoken to the
press since this incident has
occurred and yet every week or
thereabouts, we see statements
being made by the president,"
Haynes pointed out.
"In fact, the last statement made
by the president appeared in the
papers (a few days ago) stating
because you are a senior player,
that does not make you eligible
for an A contract.
"Who is the president talking
about? We interpreted it that he
was talking about Darren.”
With time ticking away on Bra-
vo's return to international crick-
et, the noted lawyer said they were
now exploring another option
presented by CWI for ending the
“Darren's contract provides a
procedure to settle these matters
and now Cricket West Indies has
suggested another procedure
which we are presently reviewing
but we have to ensure that the
alternative procedure suggested by
Cricket West Indies does not oper-
ate to the detriment of our client,”
Links Archive June 28th 2017 June 30th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page