Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 5th 2017 Contents SEA B13
Wednesday, July 5, 2017 guardian.co.tt
(S1) Simple Sentence: - They waited for the whole afternoon.
(S2) Complex Sentence :- They waited for the whole afternoon
until their friends arrived. ( Subordi-
nate Clause )
(b) A complex sentence can also be formed when we
replace any noun phrase in the simple sentence with a
(S1) Our team won the match with regular practice. ( Noun Phrase)
(S2) Our team won the match because it had practised regularly.
• The conjunction “ because “ introduces the subordinate clause.
(i ) Identifying the parts of a Complex Sentence
(Reinforcement) Practice Exercise # 3- (Refer to (a ) and (b ), above.
Bracket off the main clause and underline the subordinate
clause in EACH of the following sentences ( Remember -- a
conjunction usually separates the Main clause from the
Subordinate clause )
Example : ( The patient kept his dental appointment) although it
was raining heavily.
Now try these:
1. The doctor still attended to Ellen although she was a very late
for her appointment.
2. Until you arrive, we'll be unable to make a definite decision.
3 You need to inform us exactly when you'll be arriving.
4. Although David apologized to his friends, they still did not
5. Jessie was in a joyous mood because she was celebrating her
6. Since our last visit to Maracas beach, we have never returned
7. Mrs. Brown admires her son who can play the steelpan very
8. My sisters usually awake as soon as the alarm clock rings.
9. We'll assist you after we have finished our homework.
10. If you arrive early enough, Shivonne will accompany you to
(Reinforcement ) Practice Exercise # 4
(ii) Matching Main Clauses to Subordinate Clauses
• Remember : - One can extend simple sentences into com-
plex sentences by using suitable conjunctions to join sen-
Join EACH part in A to another in B to form a complex sentence.
Practice Exercise # 5
Read the following sets of simple sentences carefully
then change EACH set into a complex sentence by using
suitable conjunctions ( Make changes where necessary and
underline the conjunction you have used .)
(S1) (a) We took a relaxing walk in the park.
(b) We had enjoyed a delicious dinner.
(S2) We took a relaxing walk in the park after we had enjoyed a
(S3) After having a delicious dinner, we took a relaxing walk in the
1. (a) We will explain it further for you. It still poses some difficulty.
2. (a) The children loved the drive to the country .They saw
many interesting things, there..
3. (a) He had been running outside for more than an hour.
Patrick was as energetic as before.
4. (a) Please keep the vehicle. You have completed all the repairs.
5. (a) The traffic on the highway was horrendous. Most people
arrived late for work
6 (a) Dr. Jenson needed to examine the patient. He could make a
7. (a) Hannah had performed exceptionally . Hannah received
the highest award.
8. (a) Please tell me . This chow is salty enough.
9. (a ) You will set off for the finish line. You have heard the
10. (a) It rained for the entire morning. The afternoon period
was quite cool.
(b ) __________________________________________________
SECTION II – VOCABULARY / SPELLING / PUNCTUATION
A. In EACH of the following sentences there is a word that is
underlined. Replace EACH word by using another word that
is OPPOSITE in meaning.
EXAMPLE: Debating teams sometimes agree with each other.
23. He did not give a reason for his acceptance of the role in the
Continued in the next page
Links Archive July 4th 2017 July 6th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page