Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 8th 2017 Contents GEISHA ALONZO
Minister in the Ministry of the Attor-
ney General Stuart Young says apart
from the individuals named in a lawsuit
being pursued by the Housing Devel-
opment Corporation (HDC), Govern-
ment is going after other individuals
who may have obtained money through
fraudulent means in the matter.
At a press conference at Government
Campus in Port-of-Spain yesterday, Young
said through Government's drive of "fol-
lowing the money," it had unearthed fur-
ther information possibly linking other
individuals to the matter, which may also
include "big fish."
He also detailed some aspects of the
civil suit filed in the High Court on June
28, which raised issues over why the val-
ue of a property purchased by the HDC
at Eden Gardens in Freeport increased by
more than $100 million. The claims against
the defendants include bribery, a breach
of fiduciary duty and breach of contract.
Allegations of a $50,000 bribe being paid
to a public servant to inflate the value of
a 50-acre parcel of land at Eden Gardens
were also raised in the lawsuit.
The claim comes eight months after
Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi initiated
legal action against the defendants on al-
legations of corruption, but the document
was only unsealed last Wednesday.
Yesterday, Young said over the last 20
months the AG's office had been working
with several international lawyers, investi-
gators and forensic auditors "in the pursuit
of actions against white collar crime."
"What I would like the public to be aware
of is I expect a lot of fearmongering to take
place, accusations of political witch-hunt-
ing and a lot of other crimes, which are
really meant to distract the population away
from the real issues," he said.
"We will not be deterred by that and we
have gone about in the last 20 months uti-
lising the best international talent possible
in bringing these claims, which has not cost
the taxpayers any where near the hundreds
or tens of millions of dollars."
He said in October 2015 there was a
movement from gathering information
to collating evidence which was analysed
Young said when the claim was initially
sent out it was not served on any of the
defendants, which is in keeping with the
Civil Proceedings Rules that permit a peri-
od of three to four months to serve a claim.
"During that period of time, what we did
for the first time was make an application to
the court and were granted orders to follow
the money. This is a transaction where $175
million of taxpayers' money was spent and
under the leadership of the AG we followed
the money and this week we have amended
the claim which was filed on June 20, 2017."
He said several new defendants were
added to the lawsuit as a result of this
Young said as the investigations contin-
ued, once there was evidence for criminal
proceedings this will be sent to the police
Saturday, July 8, 2017 guardian.co.tt
State going after
Ebeam boss for
confident it will
recover $34 mil-
lion from pres-
ident of Ebeam
Interact Ltd Adol-
phus Daniell, who
was paid the hefty
sum for a contract
under the Life
which never mate-
Minister in the
Office of the Prime
Minister and Minis-
try of the Attorney General Stuart Young made
the comment at a press conference yesterday,
saying a civil suit was filed against Daniel to re-
cover the money since "very little, if anything,
was received for the payment of that $34 million."
"We are pursuing a claim against Ebeam for
failing to perform any of the adequate services
and we are claiming there was a total failure of
consideration for the contract. We are going
against Ebeam for failing to provide any ade-
quate deliverables. It is the State's contention
it is entitled to a repayment of the $34 million,"
He said at the outset of the contract there was
"suspicious activity," as the contract was also
backdated and there were two payments of $17.5
million of which nothing was received in return.
In 2014, the Cabinet fired the former SporTT
board after it decided to pay off a $34 million
contract to Daniell's EBeam Interact for work
he did not do in the now defunct Life Sport
The former board, which was chaired by Se-
bastien Paddington, included Reynold Bala, Nor-
ris Blanc, Anyl Gopeesingh, Sabrenah Khayyam,
Matthew Quamina, Annan Ramnanansingh, Kent
Samlal, Milton Siboo and Harnarine Seeransingh.
Young said all defendants had been served.
Young also said he will be going to Washing-
ton to meet with law enforcement experts in the
Speaking briefly on the Clico matter, he said
Government was looking at this "very closely"
and some decisions were expected to be taken.
Other individuals linked to HDC lawsuit being sought
Govt's hands may be tied
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley has
admitted that the Housing Develop-
ment Corporation may have no choice
but to allow Sea Lots community lead-
er Cedric Burke to complete the con-
tract he has on a development in Bon
He also admitted his Government did not
undertake due diligence in appointing the
board of directors of the East Side Plaza
and New City Mall, Port-of-Spain.
His comments came yesterday, after he
was asked by the T&T Guardian if Burke
would be allowed to keep his contract, giv-
en that he (Rowley) had fired Port-of-Spain
South MP Marlene McDonald for aligning
herself with Burke.
"If it is that Mr Burke has a contract ...I
hope you are not asking the Office of the
Prime Minister to disregard the existence
of a contractual arrangement, because Mr
B or Miss A would simply go to court and
the next thing you know we would lose the
case and then you'll ask me why you have
Asked if he was aware of a "Rasta City"
video displaying photographs of communi-
ty leaders armed with a variety of arsenal,
which has been circulating on social media
since last August, and if an investigation
had been undertaken by law enforcement
officers to arrest those involved, Rowley
said any video that identifies individu-
als with weapons which appeared to be
pointing of criminal conduct of any kind
should attract the attention of all the se-
"I have every confidence that the po-
lice service would be onto it if warrants
The criteria used in selecting Sea Lots
contractor Kenroy Dopwell to the two
boards, which fell under the jurisdiction
of the Ministry of Housing and Urban
Development once managed by Marlene
McDonald, as well as who selected him for
the positions were also queried.
In giving an explanation, Rowley said:
"I must say we did not do an international
due diligence in who goes there."
Describing East Side Plaza as a Char-
lotte Street market, Rowley said people
who were appointed to these boards were
actively involved in their community.
"That's the basis on which Mr Dopwell's
name would have been accepted under, he
being an active person in and around there.
I don't know if it is something that I can
assist you with at this point in time as to
why Mr Dopwell .... I don't know who rec-
He said a sub-committee of Cabinet
makes recommendations and appoint
boards. The committee can make nom-
inations depending on what the boards
require or what skills are available in their
ministry and community, Rowley added.
"So no minister appoints all the members
to a board," he said.
Dopwell had accompanied Burke to Pres-
ident's House last Friday to witness the
swearing-in ceremony of McDonald, who
was later fired as a result of her association
In Wednesday's Trinidad Guardian,
Burke admitted that he was awarded an
HDC contract in the Bon Air South Housing
project in Arouca.
Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley leaves the VIP Lounge at Piarco International Airport
yesterday, followed by Foreign Affairs Minister Dennis Moses and Minister in the Office
of the Prime Minister Stuart Young, after the Prime Minister hosted a press conference on
his return from Grenada. PHOTO: ABRAHAM DIAZ
PM admits Burke has edge with HDC contract
PHOTO: ABRAHAM DIAZ
Links Archive July 7th 2017 July 9th 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page