Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 21st 2017 Contents A4 news
guardian.co.tt Friday, July 21, 2017
Chinese kidnap accused
denied bail again
Quacy Bowen, who is charged with kidnapping a
courier attached to the Chinese Embassy, was again
denied bail yesterday, after it was confirmed he has
a conviction for car theft.
When he first appeared on Wednesday, Bowen, 32, of
Mustapha Lane, El Socorro, San Juan admitted to pay-
ing a fine in the 2010 case, but police records showed the
matter was pending. Bowen, the court heard yesterday,
was fined $6,000 in that matter.
In objecting to bail on Wednesday, court prosecutor
Sgt Roger Williams said Bowen is accused of six offenc-
es which are serious and one pending matter similar in
nature to a new charge, but with a deadlier weapon. Bow-
en was yesterday advised by Senior Magistrate Nannette
Forde-John to apply to a judge for bail as she adjourned
the matter to August 17.
Bowen is charged with kidnapping Si Jiu Zhang on July
13 armed with a gun, as well as stealing from Zhang $1,350
and an iPhone. He is also accused of being in possession
of a Glock 19 pistol and 16 rounds of ammunition. Zhang
was reportedly snatched while on his way to work at St
Clair and rescued hours later near One Woodbrook Place
by police. The other charges are that on July 8, Bowen,
while armed, took and unlawfully carried away Yizhao
Duo and robbed him of his Honda City motor car valued
at $140,000. The charges were laid by Corporals Shurland
George and Kevin Fenton of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit
and Sean Bess of the Stolen Vehicle Squad.
POA cries foul
Four days before the second anniversary of the
July 25, 2015, prison break which left three dead and
traumatised citi?zens,the Prisons Officers' Associ-
ation (POA) is accusing those in charge of the probe
of dragging their feet.
At a press conference at the association's Arouca of-
fice yesterday, president Ceron Richards again called on
the Police Service to give an update into the probe which
was conducted into the incident, saying the suspended
officers --- acting Superintendent of Prison Wilbert Lovell
and Prison Officers Two Lancelot Duntin and Mervyn
Pierre --- were merely scapegoats.
"Almost two years after there is no report from the
Commissioner of Police. We are still at a point where we
do not have a police investigation as to how the guns got
into the prison," Richards said.
His comments also came in wake of a the Joint Select
Committee (JSC) on National Security earlier this month,
at which members expressed concern and dissatisfaction
with the "tardiness" of the Public Service Commission
(PSC) in respect of the disciplinary proceedings arising
out of the prison break. Among other things the JSC noted
was that the commission took a year and a half to set up
a disciplinary tribunal to deal with the issue of sanctions
against the three prisons officers, who have been on sus-
pension, with half pay, for about two years.
Attorney Farid Scoon, who was also present yesterday
and who is representing Lovell and Duntin, said he wrote to
the commission and was still awaiting on "full disclosure"
from the PSC as he is yet to receive documents and state-
ments. "The Public Service Commission is undermining
the process of justice at the tribunal level," Scoon said.
He said when the tribunal met on July 13 and 18 this
year, no prosecutor was present and the matter could not
proceed. Saying when the prison break occurred there
was a general election a few months after, Scoon added,
"There are too many unanswered questions, leading us
to believe that this fiasco involving the suspension of the
officers is nothing other than a political charade."
On July 24, 2015, prisoners Allan 'Scanny' Martin,
Hassan Atwell and Christopher 'Monster' Selby shot
their way out of the Port-of-Spain prison. Police officer
Sherman Maynard was killed during the breakout while
prison officer Leon Rouse was shot and wounded.
Martin was killed during a shoot-out with law en-
forcement, and Atwell was murdered after hiding out in
Port-of-Spain. Selby eventually surrendered to officers
at the Barataria Police Station.
The prison break occurred six months after the executive
of the Prison Service were informed of a possible escape
from the prison during one of its meetings at the Prison's
Administration Building,Phillip Street, Port-of-Spain.Yes-
terday, Richards said Lovell, Duntin and Pierre had received
this information some four minutes before the break and
tried their best to act before the escape took place.
Calls to acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams
went unanswered yesterday.
Members suspended 2 years after jailbreak
Prison Officers Association (POA) president Ceron Richards, second from left,
addresses the media at yesterday's press conference. Also in photo from left is
POA public relations officer Burton Hill, attorney Farid Scoon and attorney
Ricky Panduhee. PHOTO: AYANNA KINSALE
Links Archive July 20th 2017 July 22nd 2017 Navigation Previous Page Next Page