Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 3rd 2018 Contents news A7
Saturday, March 3, 2018
Another oil spill in the Gulf
Four days after the Environmental Manage-
ment Authority (EMA) initiated an investi-
gation into an oil spill in the Catshill Field
off Moruga, another spill has developed in
the Gulf of Paria.
The Ministry of Ener y and Ener y In-
dustries said yesterday that it received a
report of a possible leak on a six inch diam-
eter pipeline from Platform Nine to Riser
Platform Two in the Main Soldado Field of
Petrotrin Trinmar Operations.
A media release stated that the leak was
immediately isolated and an assessment
was undertaken by Petrotrin's HSE person-
nel aboard the vessel Gulf Command.
The spill was estimated to be 95 per cent
sheen and ive per cent brown patches with
an estimated volume of 10 barrels. The dis-
tance of spill from the shoreline was last re-
ported at 4.26 nautical miles.
In response, an emergency command
centre was set up at Trinmar Operations'
Marine Base in Point Fortin while emer-
gency response vessels staffed by HSE per-
sonnel were mobilised to dispense cansorb
to neutralise the oil.
A team of divers was mobilised to assess
and repair the line while the shoreline and
nearshore checks at Icacos, Fullerton and
Columbus Bay indicated no impact up to
yesterday afternoon. Air surveillance of the
affected area was also being undertaken.
OWTU president general Ancel Roget
told the media yesterday that some of the
workers at Trinmar Offshore Operations,
who were expected to attend the union's
meeting in Pointe-a-Pierre yesterday, were
instructed to report to work to deal with the
The oil spill reportedly occurred between
11.30 pm Thursday and 12.30 am yesterday.
Roget said there were no reports of the oil
reaching shore. He said that an investigation
team will have to be appointed to determine
the source of the oil spill and the cause.
Ministry uncertain on means test
for School Feeding Programme
The Education Ministry, now auditing the School Feeding
Programme, is yet to decided if a means test will be
implemented, says Education Minister Anthony Garcia.
He gave the reply in Parliament yesterday to UNC MP
Vidya Guyadeen-Gopeesingh. Garcia said no agency was
retained to do a scientific study which influenced the
ministry's decision to reduce the SFP by 4,000 meals. "The
decision was based on information received from principals
who said there were excess meals in their schools,"
He added in the ministry's review of the SFP a means test
"might be an instrument we might use, but I can't say yet . It'll
depend on information coming to us. I can't say if any means
test will be implemented for the new school term."
Date for PM's China visit still in the dark
Foreign Affairs Minister Dennis Moses told UNC MP David
Lee that he couldn't say specifically when Prime Minister
Keith Rowley would visit China.
Moses noted last year's invitation by China to Rowley
to visit that country. When Rowley goes to China, Moses
indicated, discussions will likely include China's Silk Road
economic "belt" initiative which advocates connectivity in
policy, facilities, infrastructure, trade and finance.
Finance Minister Colm Imbert also said T&T's debt to China
is $2.2 billion plus $1.4billion from loan balances concerning
various project construction including the "Couva Children
and Adult Training Hospital", the NAPA and SAPA centres and
No WASA decision on bottled water
No decision has been taken by the Water and Sewerage
Authority to engage in production of its own brand of
bottled water, Public Utilities Minister Robert Le Hunte told
UNC's Ganga Singh.
Le Hunte said WASA's App for e-billing, rapid response and
repairs was downloaded by 1,680 people and reports and
repairs were done via app. The app cost $133,400. It also cost
TSTT $4.2million to re-brand Bmobile
No "cartel" with private sector Mouttet team
Finance Minister Colm Imbert dismissed UNC MP Roodal
Moonilal 's accusation that the private sector implementation
team (led by Christian Mouttet) was a "cartel" and could
result in conflict of interest. Moonilal noted the team
comprised all business people. Imbert said the team---
including Richard Young, Gloria Jones, Blair Ferguson and
CAL chairman Shameer Mohammed--- was a mechanism
for Government to liase with the private sector and identify
projects for economic stimulation. "I see no conflict of
interest, cartel or interlocking systems,"Imbert added.
Toco port cost still being worked out
The cost of the planned Toco Port, scheduled to begin in
2019, is still being worked out . But the port will reduce the trip
between Trinidad and Tobago from four hours to one hour,
Works Minister Rohan Sinanan told UNC's Vidya Guyadeen-
Gopeesingh. Sinanan said a study was done in 1990 on the
project by the Seabridge team and the project remains feasible.
Links Archive March 2nd 2018 March 4th 2018 Navigation Previous Page Next Page