Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : April 11th 2018 Contents A8 news
Wednesday, April 11, 2018
The following stock certificate(s)
have been reported lost.
NAME OF COMPANY:
and Tobago Limited
A1584 for 20 shares;
87043 for 33 shares
108044 for 44 shares;
6060 for 81 shares;
A20551 for 116 shares;
124783 for 133 shares
A8886 for 155 shares;
A32911 for 332 shares.
Fear grips Enterprise again
Random shootings and acts of
violence in Enterprise have once
again sparked fear among resi-
dents who had been under siege
from warring gangs in the district
The latest incident took place
shortly before midnight on Mon-
day after a 37-year-old man,
whose name was not disclosed,
was shot several times.
The night before, a 27-year-old
man was shot in a drive-by shoot-
ing. He succumbed to his injuries
at the hospital. He was identified
as Jesse Jeremiah, a one-legged
man, who used crutches to move
around. That incident occurred at
Speaking with the T&T Guard-
ian, a resident in his 60s, said the
situation was getting worse and
the police could not deal with it.
He claimed there were too
many corrupt officers, some of
whom were linked to several drug
blocks in the area.
“I used to go and buy my little
weed long time and see for my-
self police officers pulling up and
it’s a normal scene with them on
the drug blocks because they run-
ning it and they are friends with
the people selling the drugs,” the
man, who spoke on the condition
of anonymity, said.
He said he witnessed police of-
ficers, in marked police vehicles,
escorting vehicles carrying drugs.
“This is the reality of the situa-
tion, so crime cannot done here.
The shootings will never end.
Because people also take drugs
on consignment and when they
can’t pay they have to pay with
their lives. Who giving guns to the
young men too?” he asked.
Another woman, in her 70s,
said that at nights she heard gun-
shots ringing out.
“It is frightening but we can’t
do anything about it.”
“Sometimes, some days are
very quiet but then the shootings
start back and you hear somebody
get killed but I live here all my life
but very scared,” the woman said.
A mini-mart and hardware
owner, popularly known as Shots,
said a lot of small businesses in
the area were closing down be-
cause of the increase in crime.
He said that people are too
afraid to walk to a parlour or even
drive to a parlour because of the
random shootings and robberies.
He said his business was feeling
the brunt of the upsurge in crime
and said that maybe he was still in
operation because he had no rent
“My business is no longer
booming but that’s how it is now,”
On Bhagaloo Street, 33-year-old
Jason George was busy building
an apiary. He said being a young
person in the area, he had cho-
sen not to get himself involved
in criminal activities. George said
once he showed that he was not a
threat to the criminal elements in
the area he believes he was safe.
“I go up to Crown Trace and it’s
normal for me because they don’t
see me as a threat but at the same
time, I am very cautious. I mind
bees and reap the honey and sell
it to make a living and that is my
focus,” George said.
He said that while there were
police patrols in the area, they
were not often enough.
A senior police officer from the
Central Division when contacted
argued that the police were doing
the best they could to maintain
law and order in the district.
He, noted, however, that there
were avenues for people to take to
report rogue officers and encour-
aged them to do so.
A release issued by the T&T
Police Service yesterday stated
that there had been a 12 per cent
decrease in the occurrence of se-
rious reported crimes in the first
quarter of 2018, over the same
period in 2017. However, the po-
lice admitted that there was still
a struggle where the murder rate
Stumbling block for Cepep in $2m payout
The Cepep Company Ltd has
lost a bid to have an almost
$2 million judgment against
it for non-payment of a con-
tractor, set aside.
Delivering an oral judg-
ment in the Port-of-Spain
High Court on Monday, Jus-
tice Nadia Kangaloo ruled
that the State-owned special
purpose company failed to
act promptly in setting aside
the judgment, which was
awarded to Tora Bora Con-
struction and Contractors
Limited in December, last
year after it failed to file a de-
fence against the claim.
Kangaloo also ruled that
Cepep was unable to show
that it had a realistic pros-
pect of success in defending
The lawsuit centred around
a contract awarded to Tora
Bora to do remedial works on
the St Joseph Health Centre.
The company claimed that it
was not paid for completing
the work in April 2015.
High Court marshalls lev-
ied against the company’s Ste
Madeleine office on February
16, seizing items including
furniture, vehicles and com-
The company attempted to
persuade Tora Bora to stand
down by making a last-min-
ute $500,000 payment dur-
ing the raid, but the items
were still seized.
Under the procedure for
the enforcement of a judg-
ment, the marshalls will hold
possession of the seized items
for a specified time before
auctioning them off to recoup
the remaining debt.
Responding to a question
in Parliament about the levy
action, Planning and Devel-
opment Minister Camille Rob-
inson-Regis had said that the
Government met outstand-
ing amounts to be paid on
contracts, to the tune of $148
million, when it had entered
office in 2015.
She said Cepep’s board
took the decision not to use
subvention monies to pay
those outstanding sums as
such action would further
compromise the company’s
already tenuous financial po-
Tora Bora was represented
by Jagdeo Singh, Dinesh
Rambally, Kiel Taklalsingh,
Criston Williams and Desiree
Sankar. Cepep was repre-
sented by Phillip Lamont and
— Derek Achong
Relatives of a San Fernando
woman who has been missing
since last Monday are appealing
for help from members of the pub-
lic to find her.
Tricia Shah, 38, an outpatient
of Psychiatric Ward (Ward One)
at the San Fernando General Hos-
pital, has not been seen or heard
from since she left her Mon Repos
home around midday on Easter
Sean Semprie, a close family
friend, said Shah left home once
before and went to the police sta-
tion. He said she told the officers
she was sick and they took her to
“This is unlike her. She doesn’t
go anywhere. This is very strange.
I think if she was on the streets or
something I would have found her
Semprie said Shah, who along
with her brother Richard lived
with him, was last seen wearing
grey pants, white top and black
Shah, who also receives treat-
ment at the St Anns Psychiatric
Hospital, was discharged from
Ward One less than two weeks ago.
Anyone with information about
her whereabouts is asked to con-
tact 327-8493 or the police.
Sangre Grande Police are seeking
the assistance of members of the
public to locate a 15- year-old sec-
ondary school student who went
missing on Monday.
Anisha Sookoo was last seen
at her home at Guaico Tamana
Road, Sangre Grande around 8.30
am on Monday.
She was reported missing to
the Sangre Grande Police Station
by her stepmother Lanna Sookoo.
The missing girl is of East Indian
descent, 5ft, 2inches tall, slim
built, light brown in complexion,
with black curly hair.
She was last seen dressed in a
floral T-shirt and a pair of long
Anyone with information can
contact the Sangre Grande Police
Station at 668-2444, 691-0133,
999, 555, 911 or call 800 TIPS or
any police station. WPC Seenath
of Sangre Grande CID is continu-
Bhagaloo Street, Enterprise the scene of drive by shooting on Monday.
PICTURE SHIRLEY BAHADUR
Links Archive April 10th 2018 April 12th 2018 Navigation Previous Page Next Page