Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 1st 2013 Contents B18
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Write about any ONE (1) of the following:-
1. In Trinidad and Trinidad, children enjoy certain
rights or freedoms such as a right to a good
education, the right to be properly nurtured by
parents/caregivers and the right to practise a
religion of your choice. However ,can you think
about certain rights/freedoms that you do not
enjoy at the present time and which you think
that you should have? Write a letter to a friend
naming at least three (3) rights that you think
you should have, giving reasons in some detail
about your choice.
2. Many of you have probably enjoyed some out-
side of school activities for the Easter vacation.
Write a letter to a relative, abroad, describing
one (1) of the best experiences that you en-
joyed during the present vacation, giving rea-
sons why you think that it was so good."
3. Sometimes, certain things happen to us that
are extremely funny. Write a story beginning
with the following line:- "It was so funny that
we just couldn't stop laughing..."
SECTION I -- GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Write in the brackets, the shortened form of
each underlined phrase to complete each of
the following sentences.
Will you not (Won't you) there tomorrow?
1. They have (_________) been quite helpful to us.
2. Were you not (_________) there when it hap-
3. She will (_________) let you know as soon as
she is ready.
4. We are sure that he had not (_________) at-
tended school on that day.
B. Write over the following sentences in the pas-
(S1) The children had read at least ten books
during the weekend.
(S2) At least ten books had been read by the
children during the weekend.
5. The farmer sold most of his produce at the
market, on Saturday.
6. Denyse and her brother are eating the delicious
7. During the final match, the popular batsman hit
the ball for a massive six .
8. Sheldon will feed all his puppies by six o'clock.
C. Put, in the blanks, a suitable form of each
given word to complete the following sen-
SHAKE (S1) The strong earthquake had
shaken the whole house.
CLING (S2) The little boy clung to his
mother while walking through
the busy mall. (Past Tense)
9. SHINE The sun had ____________
throughout the whole day to make
it extremely hot for the runners.
Carl _______________ the piece of
cloth into two lengths to make a
most beautiful kite tail.
Miss Malcolm has _________ us a
fairly easy test paper for this
12. MEAN We really ____________ to give you
the wonderful news before the end
of the day.
D. Replace each underlined word or phrase with
a suitable pronoun.
(S1) That footballer participates in a match.
(S2) He plays for Mohawks. (S3) He usually
scores a few goals against his opponents.
(S4) When that footballer who plays for Mo-
hawks, participates in a match, he usually
scores a few goals against his opponents.
13. Susan bakes cookies often. Susan usually pre-
pares them, with a friend, Faye at this person's
house. That house is situated two blocks away
from Susan's home.
14. Some children were walking. They were walking
casually. A dog chased them around the corner.
This dog had burst his chain.
15. Chelsea goes to the supermarket. The super-
market is located in the village. Chelsea takes
her little brother with her. Chelsea's brother is
E. Rewrite the following sentences in Indirect or
(S1) "That book that I read yesterday was the
most thrilling story that I have ever
experienced," Darryl informed his friend,
(S2) Darryl informed his friend, Gary, that book
that he read the day before was the most
trilling story that he had ever experienced.
16. "Before we see you tomorrow, can you call us
about an hour before you leave home?" Mrs.
Khan asked her friend, Mrs. Thompson.
17. Miss Stephanie informed her class, "From
today, you should be aware that Mr. Anthony
Carmona is our new President."
18. Mummy reminded Arlene, "Make sure that all
the lights are switched off before you go to
F. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read each sentence well, underline the
error then write only the correction in the
You should have told me about it as soon as it
19. I don't agree with you with regards to the deci-
sion you took, yesterday. (_______________)
20. Each morning, we are really accustomed with
leaving home much earlier. (_______________)
21. My parents have asked me to assist them in
cleaning up the house, tomorrow.
22. Hazel has preferred volleyball than netball since
she was a younger girl. (_______________)
Continued on next page
Links Archive April 30th 2013 May 2nd 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page