Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 5th 2013 Contents news
May 5, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Sunday Guardian
There was an error in a news story published
on April 26, headlined "Three accused fraudsters
have history but cop can't get bail revoked."
The story mistakenly reported that
magistrate Marcia Murray had agreed with an
attorney's submission that her court could not
reopen the issue of bail, as it had been dealt
with by another magistrate.
In fact, Ms Murray took issue with this claim.
We are grateful to her for pointing out the
error and apologise to her for any
embarrassment or inconvenience it may have
GETTING IT RIGHT
What was touted as the biggest Borough
Day J Ouvert celebration in Point Fortin
ended abruptly yesterday when a 31-year-
old Arouca man was shot dead.
Police said Dwayne Jackson, a father of
one, of Bon Air Gardens, was shot in the
eye by a 41-year-old man of Persad Lane,
El Socorro, after the two engaged in a scuffle
at the crowded Frisco Junction.
This prompted senior South West Divi-
sion police officials to stop the celebrations
at 9 am, just three hours after the first band
Comdev Sancoache Mudslingers started
the massive street parade. It caused a mas-
sive traffic jam, with police reporting several
minor accidents, as commuters and
motorists tried to leave the borough.
According to reports, around 7.45 am,
while Jackson was working as a bouncer in
a J Ouvert band, a man attempted to breach
the security barriers at Adventure Road.
Eyewitnesses said Jackson slapped the
man as an argument broke out, the man
whipped out a gun and shot him once.
The suspect ran off and was captured
by an off-duty police officer as patrons
who had gathered for the celebrations stuck
out their feet, causing the assailant to trip.
He was arrested and taken to the Point
Fortin Police Station and his .22 mm pistol
and car were seized.
Jackson was taken to the Point Fortin
Area Hospital where he was pronounced
In an interview yesterday, Point Fortin
mayor Clyde Paul said that although the
J Ouvert was cut short, the celebrations
would continue to flourish.
He said during a consultation with South
West Division police last month, they
warned that celebrations would be stopped
if violence erupted.
However, he said this would not dampen
the rest of the borough celebrations as usu-
ally the pan competitions did not have
"Police had stopped the J Ouvert and
they had warned that they would have
stopped the show if things got out of hand.
It is usually people from outside the borough
who commit these acts, but how will you
keep them away?
"Besides the murder, it was the biggest
Borough Day celebrations; this is how I see
it. So many music trucks and bands were
"Even with what has taken place we have
to rethink, not only the murder, but traffic
and the way people park in front of people s
gateway and do damage to people s prop-
erty," Paul said.
Before the tragic incident that marred
the 25th annual celebrations, thousands of
revellers crowded the streets from Friday
afternoon. Creating a dust storm as the
entered the town area, the band Water and
Powder, led by 2013 joint Power Soca
Monarch winner and Road March champion
Austin "SuperBlue" Lyons, attracted a long
trail of followers.
Lyons paraded the streets alongside fellow
artiste Curtis Grant, sobriquet General
Grant, and his Road March prize of a Mit-
subishi Lancer, as mas players dressed in
blue dabbled in powder as they danced to
Lyon s Fantastic Friday. (See Page A8)
Powder fights were a common
sight throughout the early
morning at the Point Fortin
Borough Day J'Ouvert
PHOTO: KRISTIAN DE SILVA
Point J'Ouvert cut short as...
Bouncer shot dead
A 90-minute meeting between Jack Warner and his
English attorneys over the damning Concacaf report
yesterday has left the former national security minister
in an upbeat mood.
The meeting between Warner and his battery of attor-
neys was held yesterday at the Centre of Excellence,
Macoya, 15 days after David Simmons presented Concacaf s
congress in Panama with a detailed report into allegations
of financial mismanagement by Warner.
In a telephone interview yesterday, Warner confirmed
the meeting. The attorneys, Warner said, have analysed
"I remain very upbeat and believe me, I mean this lit-
erally, I am very upbeat."
Warner said "one can not understand how others could
have come to any conclusion as they have come to."
More will be revealed to the public in due course,
Warner resigned as National Security minister and
UNC party chairman, as well as Chaguanas West MP,
following the disclosure of the report which found he
was fraudulent in his management of Concacaf as the
organisation s president.
Former national security minister Jack Warner is
promising the largest motorcade today to kick off his
election campaign for the Chaguanas West seat.
At 11 am, the motorcade, which starts at Caroni Bird
Sanctuary and journeys throughout the Chaguanas
West constituency, will culminate in Felicity.
There, Warner said, he will deliver "a very, very impor-
tant speech at 5 pm which will be live to the nation"
and supporters. Warner said the speech will set the tone
for his campaign for the next three months, in which
he seeks to be re-elected as Chaguanas West MP.
Warner said the rally will show solidarity for him.
(See Page A11)
Jack meets with
English lawyers to
review Concacaf report
Links Archive May 4th 2013 May 6th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page