Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 7th 2013 Contents B20
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, May 7, 2013
The Environmental Management Authority (EMA) is a Statutory organisation established in 1995 under the Environmental Management
Act chapter 35:05. The EMA is responsible for, among other things, developing and implementing policies, laws and programmes for the
effective management of the environment.
The Authority is interested in recruiting individuals who are deeply committed to working towards the protection, conservation and
enhancement of the environment, within the context of sustainable development.
The Manager, Technical Services will function under the direction of the
Managing Director/CEO. The incumbent will be responsible for the man-
agement of the environmental regulatory and non-regulatory technical pro-
grams of the Authority. The incumbent will administer and oversee the
work of multiple environmental units which will implement current and
future environmental legislation viz Certificate of Environmental Clearance
Rules, Water Rules, Environmentally Sensitive Areas and Species Rules,
Noise Pollution Rules, Air Rules and Waste Rules. Critical responsibilities
1. Overseeing the implementation of legislation which is geared
towards ensuring compliance with established regulations.
2. The development of mechanisms to encourage voluntary
compliance, which will work in tandem with the legislative agenda.
3. The development, modification and enforcement of policies and
procedures to support the regulatory framework.
4. Co-leading the development and review of legislation so that the
laws and regulations remain relevant in the management of
KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The candidate should possess sufficient education, training and /or work
experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills
and abilities which would be acquired through:
• Completion of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution in
Environmental Sciences, Engineering or Physical Sciences AND
an advanced degree or post graduate qualification in one or more of
the following fields -- Environmental Engineering, Environmental
Chemistry, Environmental Policy, Environmental Management ,
• Ten (10) years work experience in a position involving pollution
prevention and control; eight (8) years of which must have been in
a managerial capacity at an environmental management agency or
in the industrial sector.
• Knowledge of the principles of Project Management, Environmental
Management and Environmental Science.
• Leadership capabilities manifested by ability to team building,
problem resolution, strategic planning and budgetary control.
• Strong organizational skills and an ability to manage a wide range
of multidisciplinary projects, simultaneously.
• Knowledge of laws, statutes, rules, regulations and standards
pertaining to Environmental Management.
• Formal training in management will be an asset.
Under the direction of the Managing Director/CEO, The Manager,
Corporate Relations and Public Education will be responsible for deter-
mining the Corporate Communications, Environmental Education and
Awareness thrust for the Authority so that attitudes towards the environ-
ment are affected to the extent that the public moves towards voluntary
compliance in environmental matters.
Some critical responsibilities will include:
• Spearheading the development of the strategic issues related to the
Authority's Public Education and Awareness mandate, for
implementation in the Authority's Strategic Plan.
• Developing and implementing policies, strategies and programmes
in Corporate Communications, Environmental Education,
Awareness and Public Involvement.
• Establishing networks with various stakeholder groups, in order to
promote and implement the various programmes developed.
• Leading a team of professionals in delivering the programmes of the
The candidate must have:
Sufficient education, training and work experience to demonstrate posses-
sion of knowledge, skills and abilities, which would be acquired through:
• A Degree in Public Relations, Environmental Education, Mass
Communications or Marketing.
• Ten (10) years' work experience, eight of which should be in a
management position in the communications field.
• Knowledge of key environmental issues facing the country.
• Understanding of how various media are used to impact public
• Proven track record in leading a group of professionals in delivering
corporate imaging and environmental public awareness issues.
• Post graduate qualification in a related field would be an asset.
• Or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
TERMS OF ENGAGEMENT
• The successful candidates will be employed on one (1) year fixed-
term contracts in the first instance.
Applications with Curriculum Vitae, should be submitted to
The Managing Director/CEO
Environmental Management Authority,
#8 Elizabeth Street, St. Clair, Port-of-Spain,
TRINIDAD & TOBAGO
Please clearly mark the position applied for in the bottom left hand
corner of the envelope
DEADLINE DATE: - May 20, 2013
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be acknowledged 0507033
Links Archive May 6th 2013 May 8th 2013 Navigation Previous Page