Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 30th 2013 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
POST YOUR VIEWS ON ANY OF TODAY'S STORIES @ WWW.GUARDIAN.CO.TT
Thursday, May 30, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Muslim leaders have given Prime Minister
Kamla Persad-Bissessar the all-clear to call
the Chaguanas West by-election within the
month of Ramadan if she so desires.
This was revealed by the leaders of two Muslim
organisations during yesterday s post-Cabinet
news conference at the Office of the Prime Min-
ister, St Clair.
Communications Minister Jamaal
Mohammed, who chairs the weekly news con-
ference, said the Muslim leaders met in special
session yesterday morning at the PM s office to
discuss the possibility of holding the by-election
in Ramadan, which runs from July 9 to August
7 this year.
He said Persad-Bissessar invited the leaders
to attend the meeting and there was "unanimous
support and consent from all leaders of the
Muslim community present."
President general of the Trinidad Muslim
League, Dr Nasim Mustapha, was one of the
leaders. He told the news conference the leaders
met among themselves before discussing the
matter with Persad-Bissessar.
He said: "We have come to the conclusion
that if the by-election happens to be called
during the month of Ramadan, we, the members
of the Muslim community, would have no objec-
tions. It would in no way affect our religious
obligations in this month."
President general of the Anjuman Sunnat ul
Jamaat Association, Yacoob Ali, also took to the
podium to express his support for the by-election
if it were to be called in Ramadan.
He said, however, he had asked Persad-Bisses-
sar to consider the fact that during the last ten
nights of the Ramadan, from July 29, Muslims
would be "in seclusion," but if she had to call
the by-election during that period Muslims
would still have no objection.
Persad-Bissessar said earlier this month if the
by-election was held during Ramadan it would
not be the first time.
Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal said
based on the constitutional requirements, the
outside date for the election was August 9.
for poll in
A woman passes
by one of the
at King's Wharf,
demolished as the
on plans to develop
Three witnesses who failed
to appear before the Commis-
sion of Enquiry into the col-
lapse of CL Financial, and who
learnt they were to be sum-
moned to the Port-of-Spain
Magistrates Court yesterday,
turned up there only as a mark
of respect and courtesy.
Attorneys for former CL
Financial finance director Andre
Monteil and former Clico Invest-
ment Bank (CIB) president
Lennox Archer said their clients
had not been properly served to
appear before the court. How-
ever, they opted to attend yes-
terday s hearing out of an abun-
dance of caution.
The third intended defendant,
former CIB president Richard
Trotman, who was unrepresent-
ed, said he learned of the case
in the media and cancelled a
business trip in order to be pres-
ent. He too said his appearance
was meant to be a sign of respect
to the court.
Of the four summonses
issued, only one was served in
time, to former CIB vice-pres-
ident Mala Gandhi, who was
also present yesterday. Although
Gandhi was properly before the
court, the charge was not read
The summonses were issued
on behalf of the complainant
Judith Gonzalez, secretary to the
Gonzalez filed the complaint,
on instructions from enquiry
chairman Sir Anthony Colman,
under Section 33 of the Sum-
mary Courts Act.
During the commission s sit-
ting on May 1, Colman expressed
his disgust at the fact that
Archer, Gandhi, Trotman, Mon-
teil and former Clico chairman
Lawrence Duprey had again
failed to appear before the com-
mission. He was particularly
peeved at the non-appearance
of Monteil and Duprey, consid-
ered to be two of the main wit-
nesses in the enquiry.
Colman noted he could not
take any action against Duprey
because he was out of the juris-
diction. Duprey lives in Florida
and has not been back home
However, Colman ordered
that charges be filed against the
others for failing to appear, under
Section 12 of the Commission
of Enquiry Act. Under the act,
people found guilty of the
offence would be liable to a fine
Yesterday s matter was heard
before Senior Magistrate Annette
Mc Kenzie in the Port-of-Spain
Gonzalez was represented by
Israel Khan, SC, Wayne Sturge
and Lemuel Murphy.
Monteil was represented by
instructed by Kimberly Mulligan,
and led by Sophia Chote, SC.
Khan asked for fresh sum-
monses to be issued for the three
not yet served, after which the
matter was adjourned to June 12.
Monteil appears in court
Magistrate calls Clico no-show case...
MAKE WAY FOR DEVELOPMENT
From Page A1
He said the entire investigation
and the manner in which the inter-
view took place raised more serious
issues involving Richardson. He said
Richardson, in answering questions
posed to him, said "he had not yet
elected to include independent and
or foreign investigators and or tech-
nical expertise into this investiga-
Efforts to reach Rowley last night
were unsuccessful as calls to his cell-
phone went unanswered.
Calls to Richardson s cell phone
last night also went unanswered.
Last Monday, Rowley read from
31 e-mails which were purported to
have come from addresses belonging
to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-
Bissessar, Attorney General Anand
Ramlogan, Works and Local Gov-
ernment Minister Suruj Rambachan
and National Security Adviser Gary
The e-mails addressed the Section
34 fiasco, offering the Director of
Public Prosecutions a judgeship and
the intimidation of a journalist who
broke the story.
Persad-Bissessar and her Govern-
ment have denied any knowledge of
the e-mails but the PM wrote to
acting Commissioner of Police
Stephen Williams asking that it be
Williams in turn mandated
Richardson to head the probe.
Rowley unhappy with interview
Links Archive May 29th 2013 May 31st 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page