Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 5th 2013 Contents YVONNE BABOOLAL
Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan has
launched an investigation into a sus-
pected food-poisoning incident in
which at least 30 people fell ill after
eating food at a breakfast party last
Thursday in Maracas.
Affected people experienced stomach
cramps, diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches,
fever and chills after they attended the
breakfast party, organised by AM Pre-
mium at Bay View Bar, Maracas, and
believe saltfish they ate may have been
Some, who had to be hospitalised
and pay high medical bills, have posted
their experiences on the Ministry of
Health s Facebook page.
Khan told the T&T Guardian yes-
terday he would be calling the Chief
Medical Officer to look into the mat-
"I would like affected people to direct
their complaints to my Facebook page
or call the ministry at 623 2741," he
Khan said if the saltfish was indeed
the source of the problem, it sounded
like some kind of bacterial poisoning.
He said the situation needed to be care-
fully analysed and proper tests had to
Patrons paid $500 for breakfast,
drinks and a party that started at 5 am.
By Thursday evening some became ill
and as the weekend progressed more
The menu included bake and saltfish,
eggs, sada roti and vegetables, pancakes,
waffles and fruit.
Priya Gomes, who was badly affected,
posted a photo of herself on Facebook
with an IV drip in one hand.
"For three days I had diarrhoea,
stomach pains, body pains and a tem-
perature over 107. I could not eat any-
thing," Gomes told the T&T Guardian
in a telephone interview.
She said she visited the St James
Infirmary twice and a nurse asked her
to estimate how many times she had
gone to the bathroom and then laughed.
Gomes, a health care worker, said
she left the hospital and paid a doctor
to visit her at home and used two-
and-a-half bags of IV fluid, spending
That did not include money spent
on other medication, liquids and soups,
she added. She said she was told the
promoters were trying to determine
who they could compensate.
The doctor told her she had eaten
contaminated food and had something
like gastro-enteritis. She said the next
time she partied, she would only pay
Gomes said a friend, who accom-
panied her to the party, also fell ill.
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, June 5, 2013
The surviving sextuplets, at home
with parents Kieron Cummings and
Petra Lee Foon, are doing well, Cum-
In a phone interview with the T&T
Guardian yesterday, he said baby Persia,
although still hospitalised, had been
Persia was hospitalised last month
after contracting pneumonia. She was
also diagnosed with a benign hole in
the heart. Two of the sextuplets---
Kaelon Nasir and Paeton Christopher
Lee---died shortly after they were born
on March 4.
Cummings could not say yesterday
if a release date for baby Persia was in
Born at Mt Hope, the sextuplets were
the first in T&T and the Caribbean.
Controversy has surrounded the
aftercare of the babies.
In a May 9 T&T Guardian report
Cummings said he wished he had taken
his wife abroad for their delivery. How-
ever, Health Minister Fuad Khan said
the parents were ungrateful for making
The couple received the keys to an
HDC Edinburgh home on May 3. (MD)
doing well at home
Riaz Vieira, who also attended
the event, got a back pain, fever
and diarrhoea but said he was ter-
rified of hospitals and did not go
to the doctor.
"I was guzzling Gatorade and
coconut water," he added.
Vieira said the organisers told
him they were sorry but did not
mention compensation and he did
not expect any.
"Other than that, it was such a
lovely party, watching the sun
Natalie Braithwaite and her sis-
ter, Nicole Jones, both got sick.
"Numbness of the toes and fin-
gers, body aches, throbbing
headache, stomach cramps," she
said, listing some of the symptoms
"I rolled out of bed, crawled to
the shower and lay down inside
the shower," she added.
She went to the Eric Williams
Medical Sciences Complex, Mt
Hope, was made to wait and was
then told to go to the St Joseph
Health Facility. A doctor there told
her she had food poisoning. She
and her sister spent about $500
in medication, she said.
Natalie said the next time she
partied she would have to see the
food being cooked before she ate
it. Promoter Marsha Thompson,
who also fell ill, declined to disclose
the identity of the caterers, only
saying they were the same people
who prepared food for last year s
She said they were trying to
assess the situation by speaking
to affected people.
Thompson said the promoters
spoke to the caterers, who hinted
at a health problem in the area
where the food was prepared.
"We are trying to talk to the
police and health officials in the
area to corroborate what we were
told before we make any definite
pronouncement," she said.
In T&T s worst case of food poi-
soning, in 1992, 14 patients from
the St Ann s Hospital died after
drinking eggnog contaminated
with salmonella. An inquiry was
held but no one was found culpable
in that incident.
Fuad launches probe Dr Fuad Khan
After patrons fall sick at breakfast party...
Links Archive June 4th 2013 June 6th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page