Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 11th 2013 Contents A5
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Opposition Leader Dr Keith
Rowley said yesterday three years
after occupying his office, he had
only just discovered there was a
back entrance to the premises.
He made the revelation during
yesterday s news conference at his
office at Charles Street, Port-of-
"We didn t know that there was
a back door here which could be
accessed until two Mondays ago,"
"On the day when I went to Par-
liament with these e-mails, that
was the day I found out. I was here
for three years and I never knew
this building could be entered by
other parties through a back door."
He said he reported the discovery
to the Parliament, which rents the
building for the Opposition. He
said Parliament was also unaware
of the back door.
Rowley said he had reason to
believe that "this building was in
fact penetrated." He said he lost
documents from the office, and in
2012, during the budget debate, he
realised the office was of interest
to others. After that, he noted that
important documents went miss-
He said he had reported several
incidents at his office to the police
but received no feedback.
Rowley was responding to ques-
tions about electronic monitoring
devices allegedly placed at the
Office of the Director of Public
He said that matter should be
of serious concern to all citizens.
Rowley called for a thorough
investigation into the allegation,
saying he was sure there was more
to be learnt about that matter.
Meanwhile, Rowley presented a
copy of a cabinet minute dated
June 6, 2012 to show that the Gov-
ernment authorised a payment of
$175 million for land in central
Trinidad which was valued at $52
The 50 acres of land at Calcutta
Settlement Road No2, he said,
were purchased by the Housing
Rowley said that matter was big-
ger than the $6.8million spent to
retrieve a crashed firetruck last
Citizens Union of T&T, an umbrella
organisation comprising several social
groups, is considering filing a lawsuit
against the Government in an attempt
to recover monies lost in the water ten-
Last week, the T&T Guardian report-
ed, exclusively, that Sammy s Multilift
Services was contracted to remove the
tender at a cost of $6.5 million.
Philip Alexander, spokesman of the
group, made the disclosure at a news
conference at City Hall, Port-of-Spain,
Describing the decision to pay $6.5
million to wreck a truck as senseless,
Alexander said, " We are very keen to
begin a class-action lawsuit and we
intend to represent the people of T&T
against those who are guilty of misap-
propriating public funds."
Alexander identified several contra-
dictions in the explanations given so far
by those involved.
"The former government minister
who piloted the awarding of this contract
stated categorically that the truck was
in an unretrievable position 400 feet
down," Alexander said.
He said an explanation by Ramdath
Ramsubir, a representative of Sammy s
Multilift Services, supported the min-
ister s claim.
However, a video sent to him by a
"whistleblower" and a report from for-
mer chief fire officer Carl Williams con-
tradict these claims, Alexander said.
He said the video, which is available
on YouTube, captures the water tender
in the precipice.
The person who recorded the video
said in the video that the truck was
about 60 feet down the precipice, he
Alexander said Williams report said
it came to a stop about 15m (49 feet) off
Furthermore, Alexander said, Sammy s
Multilift Services claims that they used
multiple cranes and it took four days to
retrieve the truck.
"That is contradicted by the fire serv-
ices report which says the vehicle was
recovered two days after the accident
and mentions nothing about nothing to
do with those cranes," Alexander said.
The organisation has sent letters to
the Integrity Commission, Director of
Public Prosecutions (DPP), Acting Com-
missioner of Police, Anti Corruption
Investigation Bureau and Transparency
International demanding that an inves-
tigation be launched.
Former NAR government minister,
Lincoln Myers, also a member of Citizens
Union of T&T, speaking at the news
conference, said: "It is so blatant for all
to see and therefore we think it is
absolutely necessary that we get a clear,
credible investigation into this matter."
Also speaking at the news conference
was Councillor Daren McLeod, local
government representative for
Cocoyea/Tarouba, who said, "If it s true,
it s very frightening, very unjust...and
it spells of trouble."
He was speaking in his capacity as
chairman of the activist group, Freedom
Citizens group to
sue Govt over
Rowley finds 'secret'
back door to office
Prime Minister Kamla Per-
sad-Bissessar has agreed to bear
the expenses for the funeral of
twins Khertima and Khadijah
Taylor who died in Sunday s car
crash on the San Fernando
The PM is expected to visit the
relatives of the deceased girls at
10 am today.
This was confirmed by Minister
of the People Dr Glenn Ramad-
harsingh who expressed sympathy
to the grief-striken families.
Meanwhile, San Fernando
mayor Dr Navi Muradali also
appealed to bars and nightclubs
within the city to be more
responsible and ensure that
patrons who are found to be ine-
briated are helped to reach home.
He said the corporation had
initiated a series of measures to
stop road carnage. Among these
city owing to the noise and drag
• a joint partnership with the
city police, TTPS, and Licensing
Division, to crack down on ille-
gally-accessorised cars with more
night patrols at Cross Crossing
vending areas and nightspots
• increased road humps, sig-
nage, and road-crossing signs in
conjunction with the Traffic
Muradali also made a further
call to the police to increase
breath-alcohol tests on weekends
and public holidays.
He said the city council will
meet today and address other
measures to reduce road carnage
including further public and
school education using groups
such as Arrive Alive.
Muradali expressed deepest
condolences to the families of the
He also called on St Joseph s
Convent principal Dinna Bainey
on Monday morning to offer his
PM to pay for funeral
of twins killed in crash
Leader of the Opposition Dr Keith Row-
ley is expected to appear before the Priv-
ileges Committee today as it continues
its investigation into his alleged contempt
of Parliament on May 20.
Rowley will be accompanied by two of
his four-member legal team, Michael
Quamina and Opposition Senator Faris Al-
Rawi. The two other members of Rowley s
legal team are Douglas Mendes, SC, and
On May 22, Speaker Wade Mark ordered
Rowley before the committee after the
Opposition Leader presented 31 e-mails
purportedly sent from the addresses of
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar,
Attorney General Anand Ramlogan and
others after the proclamation of Section
34 of the Administration of Justice
(Indictable Proceedings) Act last year.
Mark s ruling was made after Prime
Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar presented
a motion of privilege against Rowley.
Yesterday Rowley said he was fully pre-
pared to co-operate with the committee
at its meeting which is scheduled to begin
at 10am at Tower D, International Water-
front Complex, Wrightson Road, Port-of-
Spain. It is the second meeting of the com-
mittee on the matter.
He said, "I will make myself available
to hear what they have to say and I will
be ready, willing and able."
Speaking at yesterday s news conference
at his office on Charles Street, Port-of-
Spain, Rowley said the supreme law in the
country remained the Constitution.
"Even as Parliament makes the law, the
Parliament s behaviour is subject to the
supreme law, called the Constitution," he
Rowley said under the Constitution he
intends to seek natural justice from the
Parliament or any other entity in the coun-
try.He said he told his attorneys to write to
the Integrity ommission "indicating my
willingness and availability to make available
any and all my electronic devices and to
hold myself available to co-operate fully
and unreservedly with any investigation
the commission initiates in this matter."
hires 4 lawyers for
Caribbean Academy of Sciences president Dr Trevor Alleyne, left, UWI St Augustine senior lecturer Dr
Grace Sirju-Charran, centre, and Niherst president Dr Maureen Manchouck view a copy of Women
Scientists in the Americas at the women in science book launch at the Hyatt Regency, Port-of-Spain,
yesterday. Sirju-Charran is featured in the book. PHOTO: BRIAN NG FATT
Links Archive June 10th 2013 June 12th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page