Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 14th 2013 Contents A14
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Friday, June 14, 2013
Hours after being detained for
questioning, murder accused Paul
Vincent confessed to raping and
strangling cleaner Taramatee
Toolsie, police witness Sean Dhill-
paul has said.
In his evidence on Wednesday,
Ag Insp Dhillpaul, the State's main
witness, said Vincent took the police
to where "it all went down," reliving
how he allegedly killed Toolsie, 41.
Vincent, 33, of La Brea Trace,
Siparia, is on trial before San Fer-
nando First Assizes judge Mark
Mohammed charged with the 2005
murders of Toolsie and schoolgirl
Radha Pixie Lakhan, 16. The
women, who lived near each other,
were raped and strangled weeks
Toolsie was snatched on her way
to work on April 15, 2005, and her
decomposing body was found off
La Brea Trace, Siparia, three days
Dhillpaul, a homicide investigator,
said he saw Toolsie's semi-nude
body lying on its back in the bush
on April 18, 2005. He said a black
handbag strap was around her neck
and blue underwear and tights were
lying close to the body.
Dhillpaul said the next day he
met Vincent at the Siparia CID and
Vincent gave an account of his
whereabouts for the week leading
up to Toolsie's body being found.
Vincent never spoke about seeing
Toolsie. He claimed he had stayed
at three houses in La Brea Trace,
including his girlfriend's.
After reading various statements
later that night, Dhillpaul said, he
interviewed Vincent again.
Dhillpaul said he told Vincent he
had lied about his whereabouts on
the day Toolsie went missing.
According to Dhillpaul, Vincent
said: "I going to tell you the truth,
right, boss. The truth is that I, Paul
Vincent, raped and strangled that
woman. Let me tell you how it start
Vincent said he was walking on
the road when he saw Toolsie.
" I drag her down some steps and
rape her and then strangle her and
cover her body with some tyres and
leave and gone by Red Man,'" Dhill-
paul said he was told.
Dhillpaul then asked Vincent sev-
eral questions and Vincent, he said,
told him the woman struggled.
Vincent told him it was the first
time he had seen Toolsie, Dhillpaul
Vincent took a party of police,
including himself, and his mother,
Gene Campbell, to the murder
While pointing out areas, Dhill-
paul said, Vincent gave a narrative
from the moment he saw Toolsie
to the time he said he killed her.
Dhillpaul said Vincent pointed to
an area where the crime allegedly
took place and told them how it
Dhillpaul said Vincent pointed to
a carat tree, where he said he put
her body and covered it with tyres
When they returned to the sta-
tion, Dhillpaul said, Vincent ate the
remainder of a meal his mother had
brought for him.
Siparia double murder...
Suspect confessed after
detention, says witness
Sports Minister Anil Roberts gets the Cotton Tree Foundation Golf
Tournament underway with the first drive at the Moka Golf Club, Maraval, on
Monday. PHOTO: ASHLEY ALLEN
Demolition of all unauthorised structures along
King s Wharf, San Fernando, will take place within
the next two months.
However, San Fernando mayor Dr Navi Muradali is
insisting that squatters along the Old Train Line will not
This is because almost all squatters responded to the
show-cause notices by the City Corporation last month.
Muradali has since assured squatters that their homes
would not be demolished until the Land Settlement
Agency (LSA) and the Housing Development Corporation
(HDC) meet with them.
Muradali told the T&T Guardian that 10 unoccupied
shacks along King's Wharf were recommended for dem-
olition in a report by the city's Engineering Department,
based on the responses to the notices.
During a meeting with the Fisheries Division last
Friday, he said they agreed to begin work on new fishing
facilities for the development of the San Fernando water-
front while the squatting issues were dealt with.
"The Fisheries Division and myself toured the fishing
port and based on the discussions we have devised a
plan to have the lockers for the boat-owners relocated
to the fishing port," Muradali said.
"I did indicate to Fisheries to engage fishermen and
boat-owners in the discussions and once that is completed
and there is an agreement the facilities should be upgraded.
"Once that exercise is completed, we are hoping to
continue the demolition of the unauthorized structures
along King's Wharf. This should be done within the
next 60 days," he added.
To date, only one shack has been demolished and
Muradali maintained that "the unauthorised structures
which remain, belonging to squatters, will be dealt with
separately, utilising the assistance of LSA and HDC."
Asked if he had met with the HDC or LSA, he said:
"We have not met with them yet but we have commu-
nicated with them via telephone. The LSA and HDC are
to meet with residents along King's Wharf."
In a brief interview, HDC managing director Jearlean
John said they were yet to meet with residents, thus
plans to relocate the squatters had not been included in
their housing distribution cycle.
John said: "I went down there and looked at the site
but we have not done anything as yet. We saw the units
but we are yet to put a programme in place in terms of
"For the people who have proper structures there,
once an intervention is sought, we will go in to do a
survey to see what their needs are.
"We will then meet with the residents and advise
them as to what is available. We have not put a time
to it but we will put it into our cycle soon.
"We will give them some options and tell them what
is available if relocation comes into the picture and then
we can put them on a time line," he added.
The waterfront project has been a heated issue, with
the squatters staging a fiery protest and demonstrating
at the San Fernando City Hall after they were served
with the show-cause notices recently. The notices required
squatters to give valid explanations as to why they con-
structed homes on State lands without permission.
After a high tension meeting between city councillors
and residents, Muradali resolved to have the LSA and
HDC intervene in the matter so residents could be relo-
cated. During the meeting, squatters had agreed that
unoccupied shacks should be destroyed.
However, Muradali said that last Friday city officials
found that new people were moving into the empty
shacks that were marked for demolition.
Bonafide squatters will not be touched
Muradali on Sando wharf demolition:
Links Archive June 13th 2013 June 15th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page