Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 26th 2013 Contents A4
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, June 26, 2013
The manhunt for escaped Car-
rera Island inmate David John
Pierre intensified yesterday after
he was involved in a shootout
with police in Maracas/St Joseph
on Monday night.
According to reports, shortly
before 6 pm police on mobile
patrol on Maracas Royal Road
spotted Pierre at the Maracas
He was inside a concrete cylin-
der in a corner of the savannah.
Police said when he saw them,
Pierre got up and started shooting
They shot back and chased him
as he ran through the savannah
towards Santa Barbara Road, where
he escaped into the bush.
Police said they did not pursue
him further because of poor light.
When a news team from the
T&T Guardian visited the area yes-
terday afternoon, scores of heav-
ily-armed soldiers and police in
tactical gear were patrolling several
residential communities in Mara-
cas/St Joseph. They were being
assisted by a national security hel-
icopter which was circling the
Pierre had not been recaptured
up to late yesterday evening and
the manhunt was expected to con-
tinue last night until this morning.
Pierre is still considered armed
and dangerous, police said.
Several residents who live near
the savannah yesterday told the
T&T Guardian they were not aware
Pierre was hiding out in the com-
munity. They said they would not
feel safe until he was recaptured.
The residents said they had seen
a stranger eating mangoes in the
savannah on Monday evening but
did not pay much attention.
"We only realise who he was
when the police start shooting and
when we saw his picture on tel-
evision last night," one resident
They also denied harbouring
Pierre who escaped on Sunday
"This is not the type of com-
munity that helps a wanted man,"
said a man who asked to remain
The residents said Pierre s
mother used to live nearby and he
grew up in Maracas/St Joseph but
moved when he was a child. They
were shocked to learn Pierre had
returned to the community when
he escaped prison.
"We were a little shocked when
we heard he was up here. We have
not seen him since he was a little
boy," an elderly woman said.
Pierre, 33, formerly of Success
Village, Laventille, escaped from
his cell on Sunday morning.
He was convicted in September
2002 of the murder of 52-year-
old taxi-driver Chanker Mootilal
and was initially sentenced to hang
but his sentence was eventually
commuted to life imprisonment
after he won an appeal.
On February 28, 2000, Pierre
posed as a passenger in Mootilal s
car.While driving along the Toco
Main Road, Pierre robbed Mootilal
and slit his throat, then made a
passenger help him dispose of
Mootilal s body before he drove
off with the car. He was arrested
after a chase with police.
An electrical inspector and a painter
were murdered in two separate shoot-
ings incidents in Laventille and Arouca
between Monday night and yesterday
Their murders raised the murder toll
for the year to 180.
In the latest incidents, shortly after
midday yesterday 57-year-old electrical
inspector Ralph Andrew Quashie, of
Chaguanas, was shot dead while driving
at Upper Wharton Trace, Laventille.
Police said Quashie, an employee of
the T&T Electricity Commission
(T&TEC), was driving his grey Toyota
Corolla along the road when residents
reported hearing gunshots.
They told police moments after the
gunshots, Quashie s car crashed into a
utility pole. Residents went to his assis-
tance and realised he had been shot
several times in the upper body. He
was pronounced dead on the scene by
a District Medical Officer.
Police said several residents were
interviewed but they were all unable
to identify his attacker. A motive for
his murder had not been established
up to late yesterday.
In the second incident, around 6 pm
on Monday, 27-year-old painter Joel
Collin was killed at a job site near his
Maloney Gardens, Arouca, home.
Police said Collin was working at a
house on Maloney Settlement Road,
when a man he knew visited him.
Investigators said after a brief con-
versation the man shot Collin once in
his head before running away.
Investigators said he was well known
to the police and had a criminal record.
An arrest is imminent, police said. DA
David John Pierre
Opposition MP Colm Imbert
is calling on the Government to
stop the Penal hospital project,
saying there are too many unan-
swered questions about the
embattled Canadian conglomer-
ate, SNC-Lavalin, which is tipped
to build the hospital.
Imbert, who promised to speak
at length on improper procurement
practices in Parliament on Friday,
said the Government must give
He said: "I do not think they
should proceed with the project
under the present arrangements
in view of the cloud that is hanging
"Everybody seems to be evading
the issue. When we look at the
issue, no one is claiming respon-
sibility for this decision to engage
Canadian High Commissioner
to T&T Gérard Latulippe said on
Monday the Canadian Commercial
Corporation was doing a due-dili-
gence review on SNC-Lavalin and
no decision had yet been taken for
the company to build the hospital.
The T&T Guardian reported last
week a subsidiary of the company,
SNC Lavalin Inc, is under a ten-
year ban from the World Bank,
while former CEO Pierre Duhaime
and former construction head
Riadh Ben Aïssa have been charged
with fraud, conspiracy and bribery.
Imbert said the statement made
by Latulippe was not sufficient.
"The hospital is costing over $1
billion, from what I saw. Nobody
seems to know what procedures
were used to select the contractor.
Is it an open tender, what were
the criteria and who did back-
ground checks on this company?"
He said the Government should
not proceed with the government-
to-government contract until all
the details were in the open.
Asked whether he felt Penal was
the ideal location for the hospital,
Imbert said no.
"Just as they complained of
over-concentration of projects in
Port-of-Spain, we have now
turned full circle and we now have
mega-projects in Penal," Imbert
He said accessing areas where
a multitude of mega-projects exist-
ed posed serious problems for the
citizenry and Government should
spread out projects across the
country, rather than concentrating
on one area.
President of the Local Content
Chamber Lennox Sirjusingh said
his group met with the Contractors
Association and the Joint Consul-
tative Council on Monday night
to discuss government-to-govern-
ment arrangements. They were
now planning to hold a breakfast
meeting on July 16 at the Chamber
Building in Westmoorings.
He expressed concern that sev-
eral mega-projects were being built
by foreign contractors.
Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan
yesterday defended the project,
saying the Penal hospital was
needed in the southern regions as
a high level of non-communicable
diseases was reported in the area.
"It is a very good project and
when the Prime Minister pitched
the idea, I was all in support of
it," he added.
Khan also said it would be
accessible because of the Solomon
Hochoy Highway extension.
Too many questions so stop it
Imbert on Penal hospital project:
Escaped prisoner in
shootout with cops
Calypsonian David Rudder was
honoured with a 60th birthday lunch
at the Breakfast Shed, Wrightson
Road, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.
The organisers of the lunch said they
wanted to support the eatery.
"We want people to know the Break-
fast Shed is back in business. These
are people who can t afford to have
their shops closed for too long. We have
to support them," said Dennis Ramdeen,
managing director of Pepper, the adver-
tising company responsible for the
Pepper is promoting Rudder s 6.0
concert this weekend.
The stallholders at the Breakfast Shed
need the support as it was recently
closed for two weeks because of a rat
Executive director of Gayelle, the
Channel, Errol Fabien, was a guest at
the event and said he ate there all the
time without any worries.
"It s not a deterrent. If I look for rat,
I ll stop eating everywhere," Fabien said.
Since the Breakfast Shed reopened
on Monday, customers have been trick-
ling in. Originally, plans were to close
the waterfront restaurant from June 10
to 16 but it was extended into a second
week so all the cupboards could be bro-
ken down and rebuilt to eliminate places
the rodents could hide.
Yesterday, a T&T Guardian news
team visited the shed s tenants, who
mostly said the closure was necessary.
"The rat problem was fixed. We don t
have any more rats. There s a vast dif-
ference," said Bernadette Smith, who
has managed the shed for about 33
years. But she said things had not
returned to normal as yet.
"We re praying customers come back.
We don t have the same amount of
traffic as before."
Of the few customers coming and
going yesterday, most did not know
about the previous problem and many
did not care.
"I don t know anything about it but
I could definitely tell you the food tastes
really good," said Pearl Allen, a Trinida-
dian who moved to Brooklyn 12 years
ago, and was visiting for a few days.
"I always come to the Breakfast Shed
when I am in Trinidad.
Another customer, Neil Johnson, was
confused about why the area was empty
at lunchtime yesterday.
"I found it was strange it was so
empty. Lunchtime normally has way
more people than this," he said, while
eating his favourite dish of callaloo.
Breakfast Shed's back
Breakfast Shed workers Sabrina Thomas and Gail Paul cut a birthday cake with
David Rudder during a luncheon hosted by Pepper Advertising in his honour at
the Breakfast Shed at the Waterfront Wrightson Road, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.
PHOTO: KEARRA GOPEE
T&TEC worker, painter shot dead
Links Archive June 25th 2013 June 27th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page