Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 2nd 2013 Contents A8
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, July 2, 2013
6.1000 6.2645 6.4430
5.6874 5.9867 6.3160
9.0632 9.5402 10.0554
7.7682 8.1771 8.6268
****** 0.0630 0.0668
2.1121 2.2958 2.4565
* 2.5686 ****** 3.2720
for JULY 1st 2013
The Court of Appeal is expected
to rule next Friday on an appli-
cation for a stay of the Piarco Air-
port II preliminary inquiry.
The application was filed earlier
this year by businessmen Steve
Ferguson and Ameer Edoo and
three insurance companies after
the dismissal of their constitutional
motion challenging the repeal of
Section 34 of the Administration
of Justice (Indictable Offences) Act.
If granted, the stay will expire
on the determination of the appeal
of their dismissed lawsuit which
is scheduled to be heard in the
Appeal Court between October 21
During a hearing at the Hall of
Justice, Port-of-Spain, yesterday,
three Appeal Court judges heard
submissions from lawyers repre-
senting the applicants, the Attorney
General and the Director of Public
Prosecutions (DPP). The judges on
the appeal panel are Allan Men-
donca, Paula-Mae Weekes and
While making submissions yes-
terday, British Queen s Counsel
Michael Beloff said it would be
unjust for the criminal proceedings
to continue while the appeal was
Beloff, who is representing Fer-
guson and the insurance compa-
nies, said the stay would save the
State both time and money.
Edoo s lawyer, Sophia Chote,
SC, submitted her client was not
trying to evade justice by bringing
She said: "There is nothing in
the application which would sug-
gest that we intend to do anything
that would bring the administra-
tion of justice into disrepute."
Chote said it would be unfair
for Edoo to have to prepare for his
appeal while still being required
to attend hearings of the inquiry.
She noted since being charged in
2002, Edoo has attended 191 hear-
In response, Ian Benjamin, who
is heading the DPP s legal team,
said the application should be dis-
"The proceedings ought to be
continued unless there is a very
good reason," Benjamin said.
He suggested that the proposed
stay would be unfair to some of
the accused, who, at a previous
hearing, indicated they wanted the
inquiry to continue.
He added it was in the public s
interest for it to continue and reach
a final determination.
The preliminary inquiry into
fraud charges arising out of the
$1.6 billion Piarco Airport Devel-
opment Project is before Magistrate
Ejenny Espinet in the Port-of-
Spain Magistrates Court.
Piarco II stay of application case...
Social Development Minister, Glenn Ramadarsigh, makes a presentation to
77-year-old pensioner John Patterson, from the Morvant fire, as Lisa Sobers,
left, and Miles Walters, centre, looks on during a presentation at the Ministry
of Social Development office on St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.
PHOTO: SHIRLEY BAHADUR
The accused in the inquiry are:
• Former finance minister Brian
• Former works minister Sadiq
• Tyrone Gopee and Edoo.
• Former client representative in
the Ministry of Works at the
airport project Peter Cateau.
• Former Airports Authority
executive Amrith Maharaj.
• Former Maritime Financial
Group executive Ferguson and
chairman of Northern
Construction Ltd Ishwar
Appeal Court to
rule on July 14
A 37-year-old super-
visor at Carib Brewery
was one of two men
killed in separate car
accidents on Sunday
The victims have been
identified as Junior
Madoo, of Lendore Vil-
lage, Enterprise, Chagua-
nas, and 30-year-old
Sahadeo Ragoonanan, of
Archibald Street, Tuna-
The deaths raised the
road fatality toll for the
year to 82.
Statistics released by
the Police Service s Crime
and Problem Analysis
Branch (CAPA) stated
there were 188 road fatal-
ities last year.
In the first accident,
around 4.45 pm, Madoo,
a supervisor at the
Champ Fleurs brewing
company, was driving his
Honda Civic along the
Southern Main Road.
Police said shortly after
Junction, Caroni, Madoo
lost control of his car.
Eyewitnesses told police
Madoo s car spun around
several times and collided
with a Nissan Wingroad
driving in the opposite
Fire officers from the
Chaguanas Fire Station
removed him from his car
but he was pronounced
dead on the scene.
The driver and front-
seat passenger of the
other car were seriously
injured and were taken to
the Eric Williams Medical
Sciences Complex, Mt
Hope. They were warded
in a stable condition up
to late yesterday.
Less than four hours
later, Ragoonanan was
killed while crossing the
Police said around 9
pm, Ragoonanan was
crossing the highway
from north to south
blue Nissan Almera going
east. The accident
occurred metres away
from a walkover at Stella
Ragoonanan was pro-
nounced dead by a dis-
trict medical officer
believe Ragoonanan had
been drinking because a
half-empty alcohol bottle
was found in one of his
The 18-year-old woman who
jumped off the Claxton Bay flyover
on Saturday has been transferred to
the Eric Williams Medical Sciences
Complex, Mt Hope.
Police said the Williamsville woman
remained in a critical condition. She
broke both legs and fractured one hip
and her spine.
Owing to her condition, investigators
said they were yet to get a statement
from her. Eyewitnesses said she had
tried to commit suicide.
According to reports, the woman
went to the Claxton Bay flyover around
3.30 pm, climbed over the barrier and
jumped feet-first into the north-bound
lane of the Sir Solomon Hochoy High-
She avoided oncoming cars but traffic
piled up for hours. Paramedics had to
secure her on a spine board before tak-
ing her to the San Fernando General
So far investigators said all they had
managed to find out was that the
woman had trouble in a relationship
and was depressed.
Woman who jumped off flyover still critical
Supervisor among two killed in road mishaps
Links Archive July 1st 2013 July 3rd 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page