Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 11th 2013 Contents A5
Thursday, July 11, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Leader of the Opposition Dr
Keith Rowley has renewed his
call for the Integrity Commis-
sion to investigate the Section
34 e-mails matter.
Rowley issued another call
during a news conference at his
Charles Street, Port-of-Spain,
He said the probe must start
from scratch and the longer the
investigation took to begin the
more evidence may be lost. He
said the Government was play-
ing for time in the hope that
evidence may be lost.
"The longer you wait to try
to find the unpolluted route the
more difficult it becomes and I
am saying that is what the Gov-
ernment is playing for," Rowley
During a vote of no confi-
dence motion against Prime
Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar
on May 20, Rowley presented
31 e-mails to the House.
They were purported to have
come from addresses allegedly
belonging to the PM, Attorney
General Anand Ramlogan,
Housing Minister Dr Roodal
Moonilal and Works and Local
Government Minister Dr Suru-
jrattan Rambachan and dis-
cussed intentions to tap the
phone of the Director of Public
Prosecutions (DPP) and the
intimidation of th T&T
Guardian journalist who broke
the story about the early procla-
mation of Section 34 of the
Administration of Justice
(Indictable Proceedings) Act
That legislation provided for
certain court matters to be dis-
missed if they were not tried ten
years after the offences were
Businessmen Ishwar Gal-
baransingh and Steve Ferguson
were among those expected to
benefit from the proclamation
of the legislation. The law was
repealed within two weeks of
Persad-Bissessar and her col-
leagues have denied any knowl-
edge of the e-mails and said
they were fabricated but the PM
mandated acting Commissioner
of Police Stephen Williams to
probe the matter. Richardson in
turn ordered DCP Mervyn
Richardson to probe the case,
which is ongoing.
Rowley made his call yester-
day in the wake of a newspaper
report which quoted Williams
saying the e-mails were fake.
He reiterated that Williams
comment had undermined the
police probe which is being car-
ried out by Deputy Commis-
sioner Mervyn Richardson.
Rowley said Williams must
tell the nation what new infor-
mation he had in order to come
to that conclusion. He said it
had become absolutely necessary
for the Integrity Commission to
conduct its own independent
investigation into the matter,
adding it was never too late to
investigate a crime.
Rowley said the document he
presented to the Parliament dur-
ing the debate on May 20 was
not pages of printed e-mails but
that somebody had "extracted
these conversations and put
them on those pages."
He said all the e-mail
addresses in the documents "are
real, so what is the Commis-
sioner of Police saying?"
Rowley said he wanted to
know if Williams was saying
that firstname.lastname@example.org is a fake
address or that there was no
communication between that
address and the other addresses.
He questioned the basis on
which Williams could have made
Rowley renews call for Integrity e-mail probe
'Never too late
The State s main witness in a 2008 murder trial
yesterday admitted he had received numerous tele-
phone calls from the imprisoned murder accused.
The witness, who is in police protective custody
for the duration of the trial, admitted receiving the
calls while being cross-examined in the Port-of-
Spain High Court.
Defence attorney Larry Williams raised the issue
of the communications while questioning the witness
about an alleged conversation he had with the accused,
Anthony "Manzie" Cohen, earlier this year.
Williams showed the witness a transcript from a
telephone conversation between himself and Cohen,
which Cohen allegedly recorded and had transcribed.
In the conversation, the witness, who the media was
ordered not to name, allegedly told Cohen he was
coerced into testifying in the case.
"That was a private conversation... I don t see why
it is relevant here," the witness said.
Although the witness denied that the conversation
occurred on the date refered to by Williams and
claimed that some of the content of the transcript
was untrue, he admitted having other conversations
of a similar nature with Cohen.
The witness confirmed he told Cohen: "They send
them to kill me and that is how I come to court."
Williams repeatedly asked the witness to identify
the people refered to in the conversation.
"They would be fictional characters in my head,"
the witness responded.
The witness repeatedly denied the statements
which related to him being alleged threatened to
testify against Cohen.
"The reason why I came here is to relate the inci-
dent. That is what I saw. I was there. He (Cohen)
saw me and I saw him. Is time you take responsibility
for what you do," the witness said.
Cohen, of L Anse Mitan Road, Carenage, is before
Justice Geoffrey Henderson accused of the murder
of his neighbour Yuwiyl Muhammed.
Muhammed, 22, was shot dead at the corner of
Smith Hill and Western Main Road, Carenage, on
May 30, 2008. Cohen was arrested almost a year
After his arrest, the witness provided investigators
with a statement implicating Cohen. In that statement,
the witness claimed that at the time of Muhammed s
murder he was waiting for transport along the road.
He testified that after he heard several gunshots, he
saw Cohen exiting a property with a gun in his hand.
While cross-examining him, Williams refered to
an affidavit which was sworn by him (the witness)
on October 17, 2011.
In that document, he recanted his earlier statement
and said he did not see Cohen after the shooting.
When asked about the inconsistencies in his sworn
statements, the witness admitted not all the infor-
mation in the second document was true. He claimed
that Cohen had called him to arrange for him to meet
a commissioner of affidavits. He also claimed he did
not say the majority of the statements contained in
"I did not tell him everything. He (the commis-
sioner) already had knowledge of what I came for,"
the witness said.
When asked why he did not report the incident
to police and to prosecutors, he said: "I just wanted
to get this document into the people s hands for
them to stop calling me."
"I have a job to safeguard and children to mind,"
the witness added.
The trial is being prosecuted by Rehanna Ali and
continues this morning.
I got calls from
Witness in murder trial:
Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley address members of the media
during a press conference at the conference room, Office of the
Leader of the Opposition, Charles Street, Port-of-Spain. yesterday.
PHOTO: KEARRA GOPEE
A section of the controversial highway
from San Fernando to Point Fortin is
scheduled to be opened in August, Works
Minister Dr Suruj Rambachan said yes-
He also said the Tarouba Link Road proj-
ect, which was started under the tenure of
former Works Minister Jack Warner, would
be opened on Saturday by Prime Minister
Rambachan was yesterday given a first
hand view of the progress of the highway
from Debe to Golconda, which is earmarked
He said four kilometers of the highway
would be available to the public from the
second week of August, barring rain, but
could not give a cost at this time.
"Not only is the highway being paved,
but the utilities for the lighting of the high-
way are already being placed on the ground.
It is just for T&TEC to make the connection
in the next couple of weeks," he told
He said preparations are being made for
an overpass, but in the meantime an intri-
cate design of diamond shaped roadways
to avoid traffic congestion was being con-
He described the works undertaken so
far by contractor OAS, which is constructing
several sections of the highway, as one of
immense progress. He said he was convinced
they are using the best technology available
for the project.
Rambachan said he did not anticipate
any cost overruns on the project as a fixed
priced contract arrangement was in effect.
However, he said there may be price vari-
ations due to the increased cost of materials,
plus delays caused by the rain.
He said they have also exceeded their
expectation that at least 40 per cent of the
work being done would have been given to
On Tuesday crab catchers and oyster ven-
dors staged a protest on Mosquito Creek,
claiming that their livelihood was being
taken away by the destruction of a part of
the mangrove for the highway construction.
(See page A17)
Yesterday, Rambachan assured, "We are
very sensitive to the environment and only
a limited amount of the mangrove is being
removed at this time. By the second quarter
of next year you will see immense progress
in that area."
He said it was no secret that this part of
the mangrove was going to be taken away
for the construction of the highway. He
suggested that the crab catchers set their
traps deeper into the areas of the mangrove
that would not be touched.
Portion of Debe highway opening soon
Links Archive July 10th 2013 July 12th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page