Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 13th 2013 Contents A13
Saturday, July 13, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
A 40-year-old cricket fan, who
threw missiles at a Sri Lankan
cricketer during the final of the
Celkon Mobile Tri-Nation Series
tournament at the Queen s park
Oval, Port-of-Spain, on Thurs-
day, has been placed on a $1,000
bond to keep the peace.
Vijay Outin, of Watts Street,
Curepe, pleaded guilty to the
charge when he appeared before
Magistrate Lisa Mohammed in
the Port-of-Spain Magistrates
After accepting his guilty plea,
Mohammed placed Outin on a
$1,000 bond to keep the peace
for a year.
If the bond is broken, Outin
would face two weeks in prison
with hard labour.
The incident occurred around
5 pm at the Queen s Park Oval
during the India versus Sri Lanka
match. India eventually won the
match by one wicket with two
balls remaining, thanks to a bril-
liant knock of 45 not out by skip-
per Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
According to the evidence,
Outin threw missiles at Sri Lankan
fast bowler Lasith Malinga during
the match. Malinga was not
Outin was arrested by ASP
Saisnarine Mahabir and later
charged under Section 69 of the
Summary Offences Act.
The legislation states: "Any per-
son who throws or discharges any
stone or other missile to the
annoyance, damage or danger of
any person, in any place, is liable
to a fine of one thousand five hun-
dred dollars or to imprisonment
for six months."
India, Sri Lanka and the West
Indies were involved in the tour-
nament, but the Windies, after
winning their first two matches
in the Jamaica leg of the compe-
tition, failed to win any of the
matches at the Oval and did not
make the final.
Oval missile throwing incident...
Fan on $1000 bond
for attacking cricketer
Frederick Hutchinson, uncle of the boy
who was burnt during a cleansing ceremony
last week Wednesday, is calling for imme-
The teenager is now warded at the San
Fernando General Hospital with burns to 25
per cent of his body.
In an interview at T&T Guardian s Port-
of-Spain offices yesterday, Hutchinson said:
"They (relatives and the spiritualist) said the
boy have a jumbie on him. It was wrong of
them to do that.
"I want to find out what is taking so long
and nothing is being done to arrest them. I
find they (police) prolonging this thing. It
happen since last week Wednesday."
The boy was reportedly taken to the home
of a relative where he was ordered to strip
naked and oils were rubbed all over his body.
He was then ordered to stand over a lighted
camphor, which resulted in him becoming
enveloped in flame. He then attempted to
run but was allegedly turned back by a relative.
The relative then threw water on the boy to
douse the flames.
The boy was taken to Port-of-Spain General
Hospital for treatment and then transferred
to the San Fernando General Hospital Burns
Hutchinson said he had left the boy in the
care of a relative because he (Hutchinson)
could not properly care for him. He said the
relative complained that the boy needed to
pass for a good school and took him to see
Belmont police are continuing investiga-
Uncle of burned boy calls for justice
National Security Minister Emmanuel
George says there has been an increase
in crime in Tobago for the first six months
of this year, when compared to the cor-
responding period in 2012.
George made the comment at a media
briefing after a three-hour meeting at Mt
Irving Bay Hotel with a delegation from
the Tobago House of Assembly, led by
Chief Secretary Orville London.
According to a release from the THA,
George said the meeting looked at the
crime statistics which revealed that there
was a marginal increase in the first half
of this year largely due to house breaking
He said the measures to help deal with
that problem included protection of the
maritime boundaries, establishing a THA
Police Force and legislative measures to
protect sea bathers.
London described the meeting as both
fruitful and informative, adding George
had revealed that two radar sites in the
island were up and running but that there
was a challenge to track culprits due to
the lack of the required vessels.
The THA chief said Tobagonians would
have to wait a little longer for the con-
struction of new police stations at Old
Grange and Roxborough, since the designs
which were done a few years ago. New
designs are now being invited by State-
London said the THA would provide
the land for the building of new head-
quarters for the fire and police services at
the recently acquired Friendship Estate at
Secretary of Agriculture, Marine
Resources, Marketing and the Environ-
ment, Godwin Adams, told reporters that
the stealing of crops and livestock from
farmers holdings was of great concern to
the Assembly. He said acting Police Com-
missioner Mervyn Richardson said mar-
shals would soon be recruited in both
Trinidad and in Tobago to step up patrols
to prevent this.
Tourism and Transportation Secretary
Tracy Davidson-Celestine said a special
police tourism unit would be established
to assist in fighting crime against tourists
to the island.
Davidson-Celestine commended the
Police for using statistics to identify the
crime hot spots in the island to fight crime.
up in Tobago
A total of $11 million in marijuana was
seized by lawmen during an exercise in
the Gulf of Paria on Thursday.
Two people were arrested and 15 crocus
bags containing 355.40 kilogrammes of
marijuana seized in the exercise.
A report said around 2 pm, a combined
exercise was conducted by members of
the Criminal Gang and Intelligence Unit,
Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard, ENSOC
Air Wing and Customs and Excise Divi-
A 22-feet pirogue outfitted with two
outboard engines was intercepted in the
vicinity of the mouth of the Caroni River.
The two men are expected to appear
before a Port-of-Spain magistrate on
$11 million in
Police question patrons in the Sir Learire Constantine stand following the bottle throwing incident during the Sri Lanka vs India final of the tri-
nation One Day International series on Thursday. PHOTO: ABRAHAM DIAZ
Links Archive July 12th 2013 July 14th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page