Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 25th 2013 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
POST YOUR VIEWS ON ANY OF TODAY'S STORIES @ WWW.GUARDIAN.CO.TT
Thursday, July 25, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Williams slams 'false' newspaper report...
Kissoon asked if Warner ever stole "from Indi-
ans or the black man," adding, "So if he make
he money from the white man, nothing wrong
with that---is compensation!"
As Kissoon spoke at this stage, Warner sat,
unsmiling, with his hands covering his mouth
and lower face.
Three-quarters of the way through Kissoon s
speech, an aide came to Kissoon s side and hand-
ed him a note. Kissoon continued his address,
but switched to rebutting UNC claims about
which Guyanese administration he d worked
with. He said he d worked with one-time
Guyanese president Desmond Hoyte and that
Hoyte was supported by T&T s Maha Sabha
leader Sat Maharaj and Pundit Gautaram Sharma.
Contacted yesterday, Maharaj said he did not
comment on every little thing people said about
After the ILP meeting, a release sent to news-
rooms at 4 am yesterday conveyed Warner s
apology for the statements made on his plat-
Warner said: "I wish to extend my sincerest
apologies for anything which may have been
said on my platform last night which would have
affected the sensitivities of the people of T&T
in general and Chaguanas West in particular.
"The language used specifically in one pres-
entation did not represent the normal high stan-
dards with which you have come to identify
from the ILP platform and certainly cannot be
endorsed by the leadership of the ILP.
"As much as one may understand the attempt
by the speaker to use vernacular with a view of
reaching the people, the sobriquets used to
describe the racial enclaves were definitely unac-
ceptable and not consistent with the philosophy
of the ILP," Warner said.
"In this regard, I wish to extend my deepest
apologies to the people of Chaguanas West in
particular and T&T, in general, who like me were
offended by the language of one of my platform
speakers last night."
Kissoon had also appeared on a previous ILP
platform last week and Warner had promised to
get him to return after the crowd then received
his speech well.
Yesterday, though, Ramjitsingh said Kissoon
would not be appearing at tomorrow s final cam-
paign meeting. He said this wasn t because of
the nature of Kissoon s Tuesday night presen-
In another media release, Warner s team also
apologised for another situation arising out of
Tuesday s meeting. A statement sought correction
of an address for a minister s house alluded to
in the copy of Warner s speech. That was sent
to the media earlier on Tuesday ahead of the
The release noted Warner had given the correct
address in delivering his statements to Tuesday s
Acting Police Commissioner Stephen
Williams yesterday made it clear he will be
"deliberately avoiding" any reporter who
falsifies information or misrepresents what
Williams was speaking at a press conference
at the Police Administration Building, Port-
of-Spain, where he denied an Express news-
paper report which on July 7 quoted him as
saying the 31 e-mails read by Opposition
Leader Dr Keith Rowley into the Hansard in
Parliament on May 20 were fake.
"Those documents are purporting to be
e-mails but they are not. They are fake," the
report had quoted Williams as saying.
The e-mails were alleged to have come
from addresses belonging to Prime Minister
Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Attorney General
Anand Ramlogan, Local Government and
Works and Infrastructure Minister Surujrattan
Rambachan and security adviser to the prime
minister Gary Griffith, and purportedly dis-
cussed plans to silence a reporter and bug
the office of the Director of Public Prosecu-
Persad-Bissessar and her colleagues have
denied any knowledge of the e-mails and
claimed they were fabricated. But the PM
ordered Williams to probe the matter, and
he in turn appointed DCP Mervyn Richardson
to head a six-man investigating team.
Yesterday, Williams said at no time during
the interview with the Express did he say the
e-mails were fake.
"I never said the e-mails were fake," he
"Seeing this headline, this was very shock-
ing, because I would have to be someone
going out of my head, insane, to tell a reporter
that the e-mails are fake.
"It is a deliberate misrepresentation of what
I shared in an interview. There was no way
in the discussion I would have made any ref-
erence to false e-mails."
He said what he did say was "these were
not e-mails" but documents which are being
investigated to make a determination on
whether the contents were consistent with
"Now tell me, how somebody could jump
from that to say e-mails are fake?" Williams
Saying reporters did not have to grab head-
lines by creating falsities, Williams said he
had always made himself available to speak
to the media.
He said: "I have tried to be as accommo-
dating as possible to all media houses. But
I will deliberately avoid any reporter who fal-
sifies stories or deliberately misrepresents
anything I say, because I would not be in a
position to effectively trust those reporters."
He said he had no issues with the electronic
media but faced challenges with the print
Williams also chastised Deputy Director
of Public Prosecution Joan Honore-Paul, who
last week criticised his reported comments.
He said she could easily have contacted him
by phone to clear up the matter rather than
issue a media release.
"It is rather unfortunate that the deputy
DPP acted on a publication in the newspaper,
acting on the assumption it is correct," he
"I say unfortunate because the deputy DPP
could have simply contacted me by telephone
and verified whether I made the utterance
or not before she made a release."
Honore-Paul had described Williams
reported comments as "shocking, irresponsible
and grossly reckless."
Asked why he did not clear up the issue
immediately after its publication, Williams
said he left the country for two weeks,
returned to work on Monday and wanted to
address it in person rather than reply through
CoP: I never said
e-mails were fake
Continues from Page A1
respond to the scene of a
train derailment in
Santiago de Compostela,
Spain, yesterday. A train
derailed in northwestern
Spain last night, toppling
passenger cars on their
sides. As many as 45
people died and another
70 passengers injured,
more than 20 of those
seriously reports said.
Links Archive July 24th 2013 July 26th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page