Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 27th 2013 Contents HAVANA---Cuba celebrated the
60th anniversary of the onset of
its revolution yesterday, with the
aging Communist leader who
took part in the initial failed
uprising vowing to focus the
future on younger generations
that have been slow to come to
Wearing an olive-green military
uniform and a broad-brimmed
hat against the sun, President Raul
Castro spoke to a crowd of thou-
sands outside a military barracks
still visibly pockmarked with bul-
let holes from the 1953 assault
that is considered the beginning
of the rebellion.
Castro was just 22 when he fol-
lowed his older brother Fidel s
lead in a seemingly suicidal attack
on the Moncada barracks in the
eastern city of Santiago, along
with more than 100 other mostly
youthful rebels opposed to strong-
man Fulgencio Batista.
"The years have passed, but
this continues to be a revolution
of young people, as we were on
July 26, 1953," Castro said.
The Moncada raid was a dis-
aster for the rebels, and many of
them were tortured and killed.
But it helped make Fidel Castro
the focus of opposition to Batista,
whom he overthrew six years later
after surviving prison and exile,
transforming him into a hero for
revolutionaries around the globe.
Yet the youthful insurgents of
1953 and 1959, many of them now
in their 80s, still hold key positions
of power in Cuba. While Raul
Castro has led a series of eco-
nomic and political reforms, young
leaders are just now beginning to
Earlier this year, 53-year-old
Miguel Diaz-Canel was named
vice president and became the
first person not of the revolution-
ary generation to hold the number
"The historic generation is giv-
ing way to the new saplings with
tranquility and serene confidence,
based on (their) demonstrated
preparation and capacity for
maintaining the revolution and
socialism," Castro said.
At yesterday s ceremony, a giant
banner hanging from the barracks
with an image of Fidel Castro rais-
ing a triumphant fist was the only
sign of the retired leader. A near-
fatal intestinal illness forced him
from office seven years ago, and
he rarely appears in public these
In speeches, allied leaders
recalled Moncada as an act that
inspired rebellion, both armed and
political, across the Americas in
the decades that followed
"The history of Latin America
can best be understood if we mark
a before and an after the assault
on the Moncada barracks," said
Ecuadorean Foreign Minister
Ricardo Patino. (AP)
JULY 27, 2013
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA---Spanish
police said yesterday they had arrested the
driver of the train that blazed far over the
speed limit into a curve and toppled over,
killing 78 people, and planned to question
him as a suspect for "recklessness."
As suspicion increasingly fell on the driver
in Spain s worst train crash in decades, author-
ities also located the "black box" that is expect-
ed to shed further light on the disaster.
Investigators have opened a probe into pos-
sible failings by the 52-year-old driver and the
train s internal speed-regulation systems in the
Wednesday derailment. The railway defended
the driver yesterday, saying he had an "exhaus-
tive" understanding of the rail line.
In an interview with the Associated Press,
an American passenger injured on the train
said he saw on a TV monitor screen inside his
car that the train was travelling 194 kph (121
mph) seconds before the crash---far above the
80 kph (50 mph) speed limit on the curve
where it derailed.
At the scene, crews used a crane to hoist
smashed and burned-up cars and were loading
them onto flat-bed big-rigs to cart them away.
The shattered front engine sat just off the
tracks, as passenger train services chugged
Grieving families gathered for funerals near
the site of the crash in Santiago de Compostela,
a site of Catholic pilgrimage preparing to cel-
ebrate its most revered saint.
Santiago officials had been preparing for the
city s festival but cancelled it and took control
of the city s main indoor sports arena to use
as a makeshift morgue. Police lowered the
death toll from 80 to 78 as forensic scientists
there matched body parts.
Driver Francisco Jose Garzon Amo was offi-
cially arrested late Thursday in the hospital
where he was recovering.
He would be questioned "as a suspect for
a crime linked to the cause of the accident,"
Jaime Iglesias, the National Police chief of the
Galicia region, said.
When asked what the alleged offence was,
Iglesias said, "recklessness" but declined to
give further details.
The driver is being guarded by police and
has yet to be interviewed. (AP)
LONDON---Prince Harry has laid out
his mission as an uncle: protect the
newest member of his family, and
make sure Britain's little prince has
Harry told reporters at a charity
event in London on Thursday that
when he met Prince George, the new
baby "was crying his eyes out, as all
He says he wants to make sure the
future heir to the throne "has a good
upbringing, and keep him out of
harm's way and to make sure he has
The rest, he said, he'll leave to the
baby's parents, Prince William and the
former Kate Middleton.
That's not to say he won't help out:
Harry adds that he hopes his brother
knows "how expensive" his baby-
sitting services are. (AP)
Prince Harry will be 'fun' uncle
PARACHINAR---A pair of bombs tore
through crowds of shoppers at a busy market
in northern Pakistan yesterday, killing 39
people, officials said.
The bombings struck in the town of
Parachinar, which sits in the Kurram tribal
area that borders Afghanistan to the west.
The market was full of people hurrying to
buy items for their evening meal that breaks
the day-time fast during the holy month of
Riaz Massoud, a top government official
in Kurram, said the bombs killed 39 and
wounded at least 70.
Dead bodies quickly overwhelmed Parachi-
nar s hospital, as more than 100 people sought
medical attention after the blasts, said Dr.
Zahid Hussain, who works at the hospital.
"We have no place to keep the wounded,"
"Many of them are lying on the hospital
floor and on the lawn."
Liaquat Ali, another doctor in Parachinar,
said some of the wounded were in critical
The apparently coordinated bombs hit the
main bazaar as people were doing their
evening shopping before the iftar meal, police
spokesman Fazal Naeem Khan said.
One bomb was believed to have been plant-
ed on a motorcycle and explosives experts
were examining the site up to last night, Khan
The second bomb detonated about four
minutes after the first, about 400 yards (365
meters) away from the initial blast, said gov-
ernment official Javed Ali.
One man, Said Hussain, who was in the
area where the second blast struck, reported
seeing a teenage boy shout "God is great!"
just moments before the explosion.
"Ten people died on the spot and many
were wounded," he said.
"We rushed many of the wounded to the
hospital in private cars. There was no imme-
diate claim of responsibility for the attack.
Violence like yesterday s explosions poses
a stark challenge to the new government led
by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. Critics say
Sharif s government has struggled to articulate
a plan for stopping the bombings and shoot-
ings that occur regularly in the mountainous
tribal areas of northwestern Pakistan.
The new government also faces a challenge
on the political front from the party that it
ousted during the May parliamentary elec-
The Pakistan People s Party said yesterday
it will boycott the upcoming presidential
election, saying a decision to move the vote
forward by a week deprived it of enough time
to campaign. (AP)
Cuba marks 60th anniversary of revolution
Cuba's President Raul Castro, centre, waves as he stands with
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro, left, and Uruguay's President
Jose Mujica after an event celebrating Revolution Day in Santiago,
Cuba, yesterday. AP PHOTO
Police detain Spain train crash driver
kill 39, wound
70 in Pakistan Castro looks to
youth for future
Links Archive July 26th 2013 July 28th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page