Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 4th 2013 Contents A35
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
GEORGETOWN---A Guyana court has
acquitted two men accused of killing 11
people in one of the worst mass-
murder cases in the South American
nation's recent history.
Twenty-four-year-old Anthony Hyles
and 28-year-old Mark Williams were
freed Friday night.
Prosecutors accused them of using
high-powered rifles and shotguns to
slay 11 people in the coastal farming
village of Lusignan in 2008. Several of
the victims were children, who were
killed as they slept. (AP)
Obama is kicking off his birthday
weekend with a round of golf at an Air
Force base outside Washington.
Obama turns 52 today.
The president left the White House
unusually early yesterday for the trip to
Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland to
squeeze in some golfing time before
heading to Camp David in the afternoon.
The White House said there were
three golfing foursomes, including
Obama friends from Hawaii and Chicago,
and current and former staffers. (AP)
Guyana court acquits 2 accused of mass killing Obama tees off into birthday weekend with golf
ROME---A Silvio Berlusconi loyalist warned yes-
terday of a possible "civil war" if the ex-premier s
punishment for tax-fraud conviction is not lifted,
as his aides manoeuvred to win a presidential
pardon so he can avoid a prison term and a ban
on holding public office.
Berlusconi stalwarts also urged the ten million
Italians who voted for the conservative leader in
this year s election to fill the streets of Rome today.
Italy s highest court on Thursday upheld Berlus-
coni s four-year prison sentence, the first time that
the media mogul was definitely convicted and sen-
tenced in two decades of trials and other criminal
A law to reduce prison overcrowding slashes his
sentence to one year and since he is over 70, he
can choose house confinement or perform social
services instead of going to prison.
Berlusconi insists he is a victim of prosecutors
and judges who he says have leftist sympathies.
"In this country, democracy has been mutilated"
by the high court s decision, Daniela Santanche,
one of Berlusconi s closest associates, said.
Fueling political tension was longtime Berlusconi
loyalist Sandro Bondi s assessment that Italy "must
find a solution or risk civil war" if the 76-year-old
billionaire businessman is forced to serve time and
is stripped of his Senate seat. (AP)
Zimbabwe s President Robert Mugabe has won
a seventh term in office, officials say, amid claims
of electoral fraud.
Mugabe, 89, won 61 per cent of the vote, against
Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai s 34 per cent.
Tsvangirai earlier said the elections for parliament
and president were fraudulent and promised to take
He said his Movement for Democratic Change
(MDC) would no longer work with Mugabe s Zanu-
PF party. The two parties have been in a coalition
since 2009, after the last election sparked widespread
Results from this week s parliamentary election
showed the MDC had been trounced, winning just
49 seats compared with Zanu-PF s 158.
In a news conference before the presidential result
was announced, Tsvangirai said Zimbabwe was "in
MDC party leader Tsvangirai called the election
"fraudulent and stolen.
"The fraudulent and stolen election has launched
Zimbabwe into a constitutional, political and economic
crisis," he said.
Yesterday, one of the nine members of the election
commission resigned over the way the election was
'Civil war if
conviction not lifted'
SANAA---Fresh intelligence led the United
States to conclude that operatives of al
Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula were in
the final stages of planning an attack
against US and Western targets, several
US officials told CNN.
The warning led the US State Department
to issue a global travel alert Friday, warning
al Qaeda may launch attacks in the Middle
East, North Africa and beyond in coming
weeks. The US government also was prepar-
ing to close 22 embassies and consulates in
the region today as a precaution.
The chatter among al Qaeda in the Ara-
bian Peninsula operatives had gone on for
weeks but increased in the last few days,
the officials said.
Taken together with a warning from
Yemeni officials, the United States took the
extraordinary step of shutting down
embassies and issuing travel warnings, said
While the specific target is uncertain, US
officials are deeply worried about a possible
attack against the US Embassy in Yemen
occurring through Tuesday, the officials
The warnings also come as news has sur-
faced that al Qaeda s leader Ayman al-
Zawahiri has appointed the head of al Qaeda
in the Arabian Peninsula, Nasser al-Wahishi,
as his overall general manager of the terror
network, Seth Jones of the Rand Corporation
Terror threat forces embassy closures
With al-Zawahiri, the man who succeeded
Osama bin Laden, and al-Wahishi linked,
the United States may be taking a cautious
but necessary approach by closing the
embassies, Jones said.
Yemeni intelligence agencies alerted
authorities of the threat two days ago, when
the Yemeni president was in Washington,
said the official, who spoke on condition
Britain, France and Germany said their
embassies in Sanaa would also be closed
today and Monday over security concerns.
The steps showed heightened security
concerns about intelligence that indicates
a potential attack in Yemen.
According to three sources, the United
States has information al Qaeda in Yemen
was in the final stages of planning for an
"The threat appears much worse than it
has in a long time," the Yemeni official said.
According to the Yemeni official, recent
US drone attacks may generate reprisals.
"We take these threats seriously, especially
since al Qaeda has been dealt many blows
over the last few days," the official said.
Al Qaeda chatter in
Yemen led to US warnings
According to three sources, the
United States has information al
Qaeda in Yemen was in the final
stages of planning for an
Links Archive August 3rd 2013 August 5th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page