Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 6th 2013 Contents A48
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, August 6, 2013
The National Infrastructure Development Company Limited (NIDCO) in partnership with
the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure wishes to advise the public that Construction
work continues on the Diego Martin Highway Extension Project- Phase 4B.
The first Phase of construction works will be done in the following areas:
Along the Eastern verge of the south bound lane of the existing Diego Martin Highway
between Queen Elizabeth Avenue and Jurawan Terrace.
Along the Western verge of the south bound lane of the existing Diego Martin
Highway between Morne Coco Road and Old Diego Martin Road.
Along Morne Coco Road between Diego Martin Main Road to the Diego Martin
Highway which has been closed to vehicular traffic.
Construction work will be done outside the existing trafficked roadway on Mondays to
Saturdays from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
Uniformed Police Officers will be on duty to direct and control the vehicular and
pedestrian traffic. Additionally, construction signs will be placed along the work areas to
alert road users of any potential danger.
The Public is kindly requested to observe all road signs and to cooperate with the
uniformed Police Officers so as to minimize all possible inconveniences.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
COMMUNITY RELATIONS OFFICER
MS. CAMELLIA MCLEAN | 625- 3723
STEVENAGE---Former England mid-
fielder Paul Gascoigne has pleaded
guilty to common assault and drunk
and disorderly charges and was fined
The 46-year-old Gascoigne, who
has battled alcoholism, was arrested
by British Transport Police at Stevenage
rail station on July 4, following an inci-
dent involving security guard Jack Sher-
"I am grateful for and welcome Mr
Gascoigne s decision to plead guilty
today," Sherrington said in a statement
yesterday. "I am told that since the
incident he has offered his apologies
for his behaviour, and I fully accept
"In differing ways this has not been
easy for either of us and I sincerely
hope he gets the help that he needs in
the future. With the conclusion of the
case, and Mr Gascoigne s sentencing,
I now consider this matter closed."
Gascoigne was originally charged
with two counts of assault, but the
charge involving his ex-wife Sheryl was
Gascoigne starred for England at the
1990 World Cup in Italy and played
for Tottenham, Lazio and Rangers,
has rejected a second offer from
Chelsea for unsettled striker Wayne
United said yesterday the club
received a bid, reported in the British
media to be about 25 million pounds
($38.4 million), but it was "immediately
"Our position remains that he is not
for sale," United said.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho con-
firmed last month that the London
club had made an official cash bid for
The England international has been
pushing for a move since expressing
his frustration to United about his lack
of playing time toward the end of last
But both Alex Ferguson and David
Moyes, who succeeded his fellow Scot
as manager in May, have insisted
Rooney is not for sale since he has two
years left on his contract.
United also said that Rooney would
not travel to Sweden for a pre-season
match against AIK in Stockholm on
Tuesday after injuring his right shoulder
during another friendly.
"Wayne hurt his shoulder in a fall
during a match on Saturday," Moyes
said. "It s not too serious and I don t
expect it to keep him out for too long.
I m disappointed he s missing the game
because we were keen to get him back
involved and ready to play."
United rejects second
bid for unsettled Rooney
Wayne Rooney.....not for sale.
Former England player
Gascoigne pleads guilty
Nine Spanish league games
probed for match-fixing
MADRID---The president of the Spanish league says nine football matches
are currently being investigated on suspicion of possible match-fixing, includ-
ing three in the top division.
Speaking at a news conference yesterday, Javier Tebes says the other six
matches were in Spain's second tier. Two of the suspected games---Girona vs
Xerez and Hercules vs Racing Santander---were already going through judicial
process in the country's law courts.
Tebas says a Levante vs Deportivo La Coruna match is also under scrutiny, but
would "not disclose any more so as not to interfere with the investigation."
Tebas has said match-fixing is "a cancer we must eradicate."
Match-fixing is a crime in Spain and can lead to prison sentences for individuals
or a club being banned from official competition.
Stoke striker Jerome
admits betting charges
LONDON---Stoke striker Cameron Jerome faces a hearing with the Football
Association after admitting to charges that he violated the federation's bet-
The FA said in a statement that the former Birmingham and England under-21
international player will be heard by an Independent Regulatory Commission at a
date to be set. It did not give further details on the case.
Stoke confirmed that Jerome accepted the FA charges and that he "will be sup-
ported by the club" at his hearing.
Players are prohibited from betting on matches in competitions they are in-
volved in or have any influence over.
Walter Smith steps down
as Rangers chairman
GLASGOW---Walter Smith has resigned as Rangers chairman, amid a bitter
period of infighting at the Scottish club.
Smith was only elevated to the position in May but stepped down Monday,
days after former chief executive Charles Green returned to the club as a consult-
In a brief statement to the London Stock Exchange, Rangers says Smith has
"resigned from his position as Chairman and a director of the Company with im-
Smith, who won 21 trophies in two spells as Rangers coach, joined the board
last November several months after leading a failed bid for the troubled club.ee
Teen pleads guilty in
Utah soccer ref death
SALT LAKE CITY---A teenager charged with killing a Utah soccer referee over
a call during a game has pleaded guilty to a charge of homicide by assault.
The plea deal was hashed yesterday morning between the teen's attorneys and
prosecutors. Under the deal, prosecutors agreed to keep the case in juvenile court.
Police say the teenager punched 46-year-old Ricardo Portillo once in the head
on April 27 after the referee called a foul on him. Portillo died after a weeklong
coma, leaving behind three daughters.
The killing brought new attention to the issue of violence in youth sports.
Links Archive August 5th 2013 August 7th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page