Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 13th 2013 Contents A55
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
OFFICE OF THE PRIME MINISTER
OF THE REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
LONDON---The Olympic leadership is
"cross" with Russia for implementing anti-
gay legislation ahead of the Winter Games,
a senior IOC official said yesterday, insist-
ing that there must be no restrictions on
athletes in Sochi next year.
The law, which provoked an international
outcry and calls for a boycott of the
Olympics, bans "propaganda of non-tra-
ditional sexual relations" and imposes fines
on those holding gay pride rallies.
The IOC asked the Russians last week to
provide written re-assurances about how
the law will be applied.
And CK Wu, an IOC executive board
member, said the Russians must "fully
understand" that the human rights of ath-
letes, as enshrined in the Olympic charter,
have to be respected during the February
7-23 Olympics in the Black Sea resort.
"We want to know during the games
what will happen in different situations,"
Wu said in London. " What are you (Russia)
going to do? So we are waiting for them
to really respond."
Asked if the games could be taken away
from Sochi if the Russian response does not
satisfy the IOC, the Taiwanese official said:
"The Russian authorities, they know how
serious ... the IOC (is). We are not joking."
Russian sports minister Vitaly Mutko
insisted last week that his government would
not back down under political pressure,
saying Sochi competitors must respect the
"We have to make the Russians fully
understand---even the whole world under-
stand---in the Olympic charter it says very
clearly sports is a human right," Wu said.
"We are serious. So I believe through this next 3-
4 months it will be achieved and agreed what the
best operation will be in the games."
As he campaigns to succeed IOC president Jacques
Rogge in September, Wu said the Olympic movement
would be far tougher on the human rights record of
bidding cities if he was elected.
"We will make it very clear from the very beginning
if they don t follow (the Olympic charter) we have
to remove the games to other cities," Wu said. "This
should become a basic qualification if you want to
apply to host the games."
The amateur boxing association chief is running
for the IOC leadership against Thomas Bach of Ger-
many, Richard Carrion of Puerto Rico, Sergei Bubka
of Ukraine, Denis Oswald of Switzerland and Ng Ser
Miang of Singapore. (AP)
MASON---Former US Open champion Sam Stosur
moved into the second round of the Western &
Southern Open with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Svetlana
Stosur, who won the 2011 US Open, lost in the
round of 16 at the Rogers Cup in Toronto last week
after winning the Southern California Open.
Former top-ranked singles player Martina Hingis
and Daniela Hantuchova advanced to the second
round in doubles with a 4-6, 6-4, 10-5 win over
Anabel Medina Garrigues and Flavia Pennetta.
In men s play, Nicolas Almagro became the first
seeded player to fall, losing to Grigor Dimitrov, 7-
6 (3), 6-4. Fabio Fognini was upset by Radek Stepanek,
Meanwhile, 26th-ranked Philipp Kohlschreiber of
Germany beat American Mardy Fish 7-5, 6-2 and
another American, Sam Querrey, won the first-set
tiebreaker before losing 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-4 to No 20
Juan Monaco defeated Juergen Melzer, 6-3, 6-2,
and Jeremy Chardy beat qualifier Adrian Mannarino,
In women s upsets, wild-card Lauren Davis beat
Klara Zakopalova, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (1), and wild-card
Vania King, ranked 140th, stopped No 38 Kristina
Mladenovic, 6-3, 6-4.
Simona Halep rallied to defeat Su-Wei Hsieh 6-
7 (5), 6-1, 6-2. (AP)
Stosur to advance in Ohio
after topping Kuznetsova
MOSCOW---The long-anticipated bout between
WBA heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko
and Russia s Alexander Povetkin will be held in
Moscow on October 5, the boxers confirmed yes-
Klitschko was first set to defend his heavyweight
title against Povetkin three years ago but the contract
for the fight was never finalised.
"We had a long story with Alexander and could
have met earlier," Klitschko said at a news conference.
"Alexander hasn t lost a fight and I m looking forward
to meeting him but in no case will I underestimate
him. I m sure he will do his best to win on the night
of October 5."
The WBA heavyweight belt became vacant when
Klitschko was elevated to "super champion" status
in 2011 after beating David Haye. Povetkin became
the mandatory challenger for Klitschko when he beat
American Hasim Rahman last September.
Earlier this year, the 37-year-old Klitschko improved
to 60-3 when he beat Francesco Pianeta with his
52nd knockout, while the undefeated Povetkin, 33,
has improved to 26-0 with his 18th knockout.
The bout is scheduled to be held at Moscow s
indoor Olympic stadium. (AP)
Klitschko vs Povetkin
bout set for October
IOC 'cross' with Russia over anti-gay law
Links Archive August 12th 2013 August 14th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page